Windows XP SP3. Much better than Vista SP1

too many vista fanboys here... bring on sp3 and xp ftw

why is it, whenever someone says they have no issues, they're always branded "fanboys"

it's really pathetic.

Here come the Vista defenders....

Either:

1) paid by MS

2) buyer's remorse

Sure sure

I paid ?115 for my ultimate edition and am glad I got it, it's fast, stable, pretty. What more do you want from an OS ?

BTW I'm on 4GB ram, 2.66ghz Q6600 and an 8800GT so this may be a factor as to why Vista runs so nice for people like myself not some low end laptop with 1GB ram.

People complain about Vista because they're just bandwagon junkies - it's either that or they just don't have the hardware for it or the experience to set it up and install the right drivers for their hardware to begin with and end up having problems.

The important question is: Can you have a great Vista experience with 1GB of RAM? You should be able to, those are the recommended specs from Microsoft. And how are you using Vista with 1GB of RAM? How many applications in use simultaneously, which apps, etc.

Most people supporting Vista's performance here seem to be running it at AT LEAST 2GB of RAM, in some cases 4GB of RAM. That's like using a Porsche to do pizza delivery, of course it will be great, you've invested into it more than it is required, or even recommended. I won't lie, my notebook had 1GB of RAM and I purchased an extra gig at the same time. When I received it, I first started the laptop to see if everything works before upgrading the RAM and even after I uninstalled most of the bloatware that came preinstalled, Vista felt slow and stuttered/lagged. After quickly adding an extra gig, it's now smooth.

Is Vista crap? No. Is Sp3 for XP better than Vista SP1? Maybe, but the comparison still ain't fair whether you like Vista or not. The issue here is, the hardware requirements and the comparison of different service packs, SP3 XP with Sp1? How about SP3 Vista when it will be out with Sp3 XP?

Im running Athlon 64 X2 3800 Dualcore

3GB Ram

7900GT Graphics

Seagate 320GB 7200.10 HDD 7,200RPM

Pretty old computer (Waiting for Nehalem... might go for Penryn as stopgap)

But like I say Vista for me runs faster than XP and Ive had no problems with it..

This install was done on release and has gone through various driver upgrades (From the crap beta drivers the company had out for Vistas release) to the more stable and mature drivers that we have now.

If this makes me a fanboy (Even though the basis of my network is a FreeBSD server and my other comps are Fedora) then sure let it roll :p

why is it, whenever someone says they have no issues, they're always branded "fanboys"

it's really pathetic.

It's most likely because you act like one.

You're defending Vista as if your life depended on it. You also bash people. You TRY being clever in your bashing so it doesn't really come off as an obivous bash, but you're not very good at that so you might as well just stop trying to hide your bashing. You feel the need to reply to anything posted about Vista that you don't agree with. Under your avatar it says "Vista <3'er". <3 is in line with LOL, WTF, pwn and n00b as one of the most annoying things on the internet to see.

Another thing I'm tired of seeing is how Vista only sucks because of poor driver support. That excuse got old a long time ago because very good drivers have been out for a while now. What about the networking and file copying issues? That's a Microsoft problem and you all can't blame ATI and Nvidia for not getting drivers out in time for that.

I like Vista and XP both and never had any issues with either of them. I don't feel the need to defend either of them like the world will end if I don't bash the person who said something I didn't like about either of them. It's immature and very annoying in all honesty.

Now think about what you called pathetic. You'd fit into that category IMHO.

My brother got a Dell laptop a few months ago with Vista preinstalled on it. It's not the greatest laptop, nor is he the most adept computer user (though he is somewhat savvy) and he's had absolutely no complaints about the OS.

I'd like to be running Vista, but I won't do it on the machine I have currently (which is a little over 3 years old). I'm sure Vista could run fine on it, but it's not worth it to me. I'll probably end up sticking with this machine until Windows 7 comes out and then I'll go out and buy all new hardware.

-Spenser

I;d also like to add that I had XP SP2 VLK since release and had zero issues at all, like Vista if a problem came about I would always find a workaround or a fix. I was extremely happy with XP, fast, stable, did what I needed and Vista is exactly the same and then builds on that with extra functuality like a better UI and the inline search feature in Explorer which I absolutely love as it makes finding files in a folder and its subfolders way more officiant than XP.

The important question is: Can you have a great Vista experience with 1GB of RAM? You should be able to, those are the recommended specs from Microsoft. And how are you using Vista with 1GB of RAM? How many applications in use simultaneously, which apps, etc.

Most people supporting Vista's performance here seem to be running it at AT LEAST 2GB of RAM, in some cases 4GB of RAM. That's like using a Porsche to do pizza delivery, of course it will be great, you've invested into it more than it is required, or even recommended. I won't lie, my notebook had 1GB of RAM and I purchased an extra gig at the same time. When I received it, I first started the laptop to see if everything works before upgrading the RAM and even after I uninstalled most of the bloatware that came preinstalled, Vista felt slow and stuttered/lagged. After quickly adding an extra gig, it's now smooth.

Is Vista crap? No. Is Sp3 for XP better than Vista SP1? Maybe, but the comparison still ain't fair whether you like Vista or not. The issue here is, the hardware requirements and the comparison of different service packs, SP3 XP with Sp1? How about SP3 Vista when it will be out with Sp3 XP?

There's absolutely no reason why someone should be on 1GB ram still, ram is so cheap now that you can pick up another GB for ?15 of DDR2 memory - no excuse whatsoever.

Besides 1GB ram was what XP needed to "fly" and fly it did, with 2GB it ran /flawlessly/

Vista is the next generation up and rightly so it should have the base requirements that XP has as its "best" requirements.

I'm on my first installation of Vista Ultimate X64 since it's out and it's still good, no problem here. But look at the spec of my PC, I don't expect to have any problem. But it's also running fine on my laptop, with a much slower CPU and GPU.

But, I do keep my drivers updated, I know what i'm doing with my PC's. So Vista is great and it's far from a flop. Windows XP is getting old fast, no DX10 and looks dated.

Then again, maybe XP is the OS of choice for some users. It's a personal choice. I don't flame anybody using XP. We are still on XP at work and it's okay like that.

Why change when it's not broken? If you like XP, keep it. Upgrade when you feel like it.

I think HHD is very important for Vista, as we have a raid machine at work with Vista, it runs so smooth, but one at home same spec everything else, and better graphic card, only one hhd, and it's crap

Here come the Vista defenders....

Either:

1) paid by MS

2) buyer's remorse

Massive buyer's remorse, coupled with fanboyism. No matter, let them amuse themselves with the improved GUI while they wait 2x longer for a bunch of files to copy, or a program to load. The important thing is we know better.

You cannt pay me enough to switch to Vista..................XP with Window blinds works good enough for me.

If you have old/dated hardware, stay with XP.

Massive buyer's remorse, coupled with fanboyism. No matter, let them amuse themselves with the improved GUI while they wait 2x longer for a bunch of files to copy, or a program to load. The important thing is we know better.

I don't have to wait any longer for my files to copy on Vista than I do on XP. Same with programs loading, except they load faster on Vista.

Next.

I have some pretty top of the line hardware, i still stick with XP - Only reason i cared about Vista was Crysis, all it did was stealing 12 Frames Per Second and nothing else. Runs so much smoother under XP with "DX10" settings ( My ass :laugh: )

So I'll just stick with XP for now :)

It's most likely because you act like one.

You're defending Vista as if your life depended on it. You also bash people. You TRY being clever in your bashing so it doesn't really come off as an obivous bash, but you're not very good at that so you might as well just stop trying to hide your bashing. You feel the need to reply to anything posted about Vista that you don't agree with. Under your avatar it says "Vista <3'er". <3 is in line with LOL, WTF, pwn and n00b as one of the most annoying things on the internet to see.

Another thing I'm tired of seeing is how Vista only sucks because of poor driver support. That excuse got old a long time ago because very good drivers have been out for a while now. What about the networking and file copying issues? That's a Microsoft problem and you all can't blame ATI and Nvidia for not getting drivers out in time for that.

I like Vista and XP both and never had any issues with either of them. I don't feel the need to defend either of them like the world will end if I don't bash the person who said something I didn't like about either of them. It's immature and very annoying in all honesty.

Now think about what you called pathetic. You'd fit into that category IMHO.

Right, so your abuse doesnt come off as an obvious attempt to incite an arguement or a diliberate attempt to fulfil your otherwise lack of ability to read posts properly.

Yes, i love the Vista experience, and i still love XP, not once have i ever declared that XP was better than Vista or Vista was better than XP, in fact i've started a thread or two complaining about the very thing you're pointing out in your post above.

I really don't see how i fit into the bashing catergory, all i did was take points, and validate them. Thats the nature and function of forums, discussion and debate. However, YOU sir, seem to have entirely missed this point. "Defending" as you put it, something i have no issues with, is a perfectly normal thing to do. Yous ee, it's clarification to some that issues don't exist. If everyone took your attitude, then we'd all sit back and allow every single thing to be slated, never giving praise, thus, never having good reviews, which in turn, means even poorer support for whatever product it may be, which will, ultimately, result in even more flaming, baiting, trolling and misinformed posting.

I didn't call any one person pathetic, i generalised the whole "you must be a fanboy because you like something i do not" in it's entirety. You however, took it upon yourself to lable me directly, a trait i have long found amusing amongst the uneducated of the internet world.

In conclusion, i'd like to say both SP3 and SP1 for their respective OS's are shaping up nicely, and i plead with those that have spent a few hours with Vista only to roll back, to try again. As "Cryingcure" quite rightly pointed out, driver support is now vastly improved, including creative and other such problematic companies that failed you all at the start. However, if you simply just prefer XP, then so be it, you're still making a good decision that works for you :)

Edited by chrispinto

The funny thing is that all of these sites running benchmarks probably don't even realize that there is a bug in the latest release of SP1 that causes that CPU to "idle" at about 50-75% CPU usage even on a dual-core system.

That bug affects any sort of benchmarks that they do unless they disable the service that is causing the glitch.

YOU are a joke, seriously it's people like you that we don't need in this world, you provide spin to the spin masters and spread lies.