Even at $600 the Wii is a must-have gift this season

The Wii isn't even worth its ?180/$249 pricetag. Anyone who is playing over the odds to get one is really sad. I feel i have been ripped off just buy paying the RRP!!!
Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.

On that note - do you think people paying 500€/$ for Windows Vista was "worth their money"? Or people paying 10,000€/$ for a cellphone with a few rocks placed around it that have their value inflated artificially?

The world is full of things people are willing to pay premium for - because they can.

My two cents... :shiftyninja:

Here in SA, the Wii was finally launched with a $400 price tag. There is no demand. There are plenty in all the shops. The company that brought the Wii into our country are just ripping people off. Plain and simple. I was looking forward to the Wii for the longest time. But when I saw the price, I decided against it. I am willing to pay $250, but not more for a Wii!!! Its a matter of principle. Elsewhere in the world, the Wii retails for the standard price of $250. Why must we be fleeced here???

As I said, with the high price, there is little demand for the Wii here. Most of the people are buying the xbox 360s. And I dont blame them. The 360 arcade retails for $400 here, with two games, whilst the Wii retails for the same price but with a single controller and Wii sports. If they offered a bundle I might get one, if not, those greedy bastards can go to hell...

I might as well pick up a 360 for a $100 more. :hmmm:

eh, people just take any opportunity to bash the other consoles. There is no way to say that a system isn't worth x$. If someone pays x$ it is obviously worth the money for them otherwise they wouldn't have bought it. I wouldn't buy a Ferrari even if it was only 30,000$ because it just isn't worth it to me, I would be happy buying a used Jetta or some other car for a quarter the price even though I know that Ferrari's are fantastic and are definitely worth their much higher price tag. Now I would definitely buy it at that price to sell it for more of course, but that isn't the point.

eh, people just take any opportunity to bash the other consoles. There is no way to say that a system isn't worth x$. If someone pays x$ it is obviously worth the money for them otherwise they wouldn't have bought it. I wouldn't buy a Ferrari even if it was only 30,000$ because it just isn't worth it to me, I would be happy buying a used Jetta or some other car for a quarter the price even though I know that Ferrari's are fantastic and are definitely worth their much higher price tag. Now I would definitely buy it at that price to sell it for more of course, but that isn't the point.

Yes there is.

2 values of worth here.

Value in real terms... The vanilla Wii retails at $249. If you pay more than that it isn't worth it for you to do so.

Value in your terms... The vanilla Wii retails at $249. You pay $600, but claim thats worth it for you.

When it comes to something as simple as a console I think you'll find most people agreeing and sideing with my first idea of "value". The majority of people don't like to cave in to greedy shops/stores marking up goods waaaay over their suggested retail pricing.

Lastly you get the element of common sense. I'd say it's understandable to pay a little OTT for a popular device near xmas, but $600? IMO I wouldn't go that far, so that's why I tag those who do as irresponsible money wasters.

The Wii isn't even worth its ?180/$249 pricetag. Anyone who is playing over the odds to get one is really sad. I feel i have been ripped off just buy paying the RRP!!!

I agree i knew the wii wasnt more then just a modified game cube with a gimmick, it lacks good games and the graphics sucks, the cost to make this isnt no more then maybe $50.

yah just like apple they are just abusing their name and the demand for the trendy thing to get this holiday season to rip-off costumers which is pretty sad.

i used to like nintendo back in the 90s but today they are just being errogant bastards.

Seems that a massive number of people disagree with you.

I don't care what other people think. I think it's overpriced even at its RRP and nothing is going to change my mind. I like SMG but one game isn't going to make me say "The Wii was worth every penny, glad i brought it" And it gets much worse for us sitting on the fence waiting for good games to come out in 2008 as there is Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros Brawl and Wii Fit (this may be gay tbh) and thats it! You tell me if it was worth every penny to you.

Just noticed SSSB is delayed in Europe now lol. Well its just gets better and better for us owners doesn't it?

I think it's overpriced even at its RRP and nothing is going to change my mind.

Fortunately it's not aimed at the 'hardcore' teeny boppers like then isn't it? ;)

and nothing is going to change my mind

And here is the clincher. From a statement like that - all your Wii-based views become null.

I was accused of hating the PS3 and not wanting one. Something I countered by saying that when games come out that are worthwhile to me - I may want one. I hold my opinions hard, but they are open to change. Seems you are 100% closed-minded.

this may be gay tbh

Ah, so you are a mature person with that view then!

And here is the clincher. From a statement like that - all your Wii-based views become null.

I was accused of hating the PS3 and not wanting one. Something I countered by saying that when games come out that are worthwhile to me - I may want one. I hold my opinions hard, but they are open to change. Seems you are 100% closed-minded.

Ah, so you are a mature person with that view then!

The thing is i am opened minded but when Nintendo does this, how the hell can you defend them? Its not just once they do it, they have done it serveral times! Slapping Europe around the face and making us wait even longer for games to come out. I don't hate ANY system, I like them all, i just said the Wii wasn't worth its pricetag which in some cases is true.

When are we going to see some serious games then? 2010? As much as i like the concept of WiiFit, i think it will suck big time, very much like WiiSports.

Nintendo just needs to get its finger out and actually think about ALL gamers, not just their home town. Hell they care more about the western gamers more than they care about us. Why did they really bother selling the Wii if they couldn't even deliver games at the same time as everyone else, why are we the suckers that have to wait?

Yes my Wii-views are null because i actually have the system so i can say what i want and how i feel about it. I think Nintendo are very arrogant and are more so than Sony. I used to love Nintendo but at this rate, i will stop supporting them and i won't be the only one. I am sure DrunknMunky will agree with me.

The thing is i am opened minded but when Nintendo does this, how the hell can you defend them?

Does what? Are you referring to the other thread? Then I 100% agree with you about how they treat Europe. That is Nintendo the company. Not the Wii console!

As for WiiSports - people seem to like it. What do you call "serious games"? The Wii (as I have told you before) has a great Christmas line-up - it's possibly not aimed towards your tastes - but maybe neither is the Wii then.

And I don't care whether DM agrees with you - big deal. What is this - playground?

The thing is i am opened minded but when Nintendo does this, how the hell can you defend them? Its not just once they do it, they have done it serveral times! Slapping Europe around the face and making us wait even longer for games to come out. I don't hate ANY system, I like them all, i just said the Wii wasn't worth its pricetag which in some cases is true.

<snip>

Nintendo just needs to get its finger out and actually think about ALL gamers, not just their home town. Hell they care more about the western gamers more than they care about us. Why did they really bother selling the Wii if they couldn't even deliver games at the same time as everyone else, why are we the suckers that have to wait?

Yes my Wii-views are null because i actually have the system so i can say what i want and how i feel about it. I think Nintendo are very arrogant and are more so than Sony. I used to love Nintendo but at this rate, i will stop supporting them and i won't be the only one. I am sure DrunknMunky will agree with me.

Agree with you 100%, though unsure on the serious games, Metroid and Mario have just been released (though they again were months behind everyone else :() but to be fair its not just Nintendo that makes Europe wait for games, all three companies do, which is a shame really :(

What I hate about Nintendo though currently is it is the same every year, you just cannot get hold of their consoles whether it be a Wii or a DS. I know I started a thread about the lack of DSs here in the UK and to be quite frank its ridiculous that the situation is even possible as again it just seems to be Europe that has the problem, people from the US are saying there is an abundance of DSs in their stores, so why not have the same situation here? Nintendo have 12mths to manufacture them from one year to the next and still this happens.

Getting back on topic, 2nd hand Wii's are now being sold in CEX for ?300 ($600) mostly sold without boxes etc and they are flying out. Same with DSs they have 2nd hand DSs in stock no box, original ones (not the lite) and they are selling them at ?200 and people are still buying them. The whole thing is just a joke to be honest, I mean they know there is going to be a huge demand and yet they sit back and ignore i:(:(

Getting back on topic, 2nd hand Wii's are now being sold in CEX for ?300 ($600) mostly sold without boxes etc and they are flying out. Same with DSs they have 2nd hand DSs in stock no box, original ones (not the lite) and they are selling them at ?200 and people are still buying them. The whole thing is just a joke to be honest, I mean they know there is going to be a huge demand and yet they sit back and ignore i:(:(

The last part of your statement ignores the first part. They've sold more than ANYONE, including Nintendo, thought they would (and more than anyone else, too). How can you then say they knew there would be a huge demand? Every sign pointed to their console being ignored again, because kids can't stand to be called kids and need to buy the more 'mature' consoles, thus leaving the Wii in the dust. Ironic that the people buying the Wii are the older demographic, isn't it? Ironic still that the type of person who buys the Wii outnumbers the type of 'gamer' that buy the others. That means the much larger market has finally been tapped.

Yup, I totally agree. My comments go out to those who DO end up spending waaaay over the odds.

The PS3 for myself was too expensive at launch, but ultimately its up to yourself what you want to spend on a console, and as long as you're buying it at the RRP or cheaper I won't kick up a fuss.

It's when people start spending more than needed I snap into "value" mode :laugh:

As I said I appreciate at Christmas certain things can be hard to get and you might spend 5-10% over the RRP to get your console (or more in a value games bundle), but spending more than 100% more on your product is downright silly.

Why are you evangelizing the PS3 in the Nintendo forum? Wouldn't that be considered trolling? Nobody cares about your PS3.

Why are you evangelizing the PS3 in the Nintendo forum? Wouldn't that be considered trolling? Nobody cares about your PS3.

Oh go away and waste someone elses time - People like you grate on my nerves.

I'm not evangelizing anything - Merely making a comparison of how console cost is different for everyone (some buy at launch, others wait for price drops), but IMO I feel paying a considerable amount over the RRP is daft anytime.

It was good that this topic went 3 pages of (Y) discussion before someone came in and dragged it down - That must be a record? :hmmm:

I asked about the other consoles, specifically the PS3. He's been responding to me, more or less.

Oh go away and waste someone elses time - People like you grate on my nerves.

I'm not evangelizing anything - Merely making a comparison of how console cost is different for everyone (some buy at launch, others wait for price drops), but IMO I feel paying a considerable amount over the RRP is daft anytime.

It was good that this topic went 3 pages of (Y) discussion before someone came in and dragged it down - That must be a record? :hmmm:

"People like me?" I was attacking a post, not you. People like me go back and do some research when called out for a comment, so I did so and apologize for my post.

Wii is not worth $600. Period.

Check out what I posted last on page 2,

Value in real terms... The vanilla Wii retails at $249. If you pay more than that it isn't worth it for you to do so.

Value in your terms... The vanilla Wii retails at $249. You pay $600, but claim thats worth it for you.

so IMO everyones idea of "worth" could be different - I've realised that a bit more through this topic.

I can tell you what is going through a lot of parents minds while purchasing the Wii at this price: "Do I want to spend some extra money I won't really miss, or try to tell a young kid why they are not having the christmas they wanted. Not many things suck more than seeing someone you love disappointed. I'm not trying to argue any point here, just saying what i'm sure many people are thinking. Its just money after all.

Personally paying 2x the RRP is not worth it, however for plenty of parents out there who have little Johnny screaming at them for a Wii this Christmas - they will probably pay anything to get there hands on one.