Wii Mod Chips

I want to start this thread by noting this topic is not promoting, nor shall it be discussing any illegal activities to include pirating. Any talk of the afore mentioned subject will lead to this thread getting locked.

I'm looking at getting a Mod Chip for my Wii, and I want to know if anyone can help me out with some suggestions.

I have looked at a few and I am left with a few questions. My only need is for the chip to support DVD backup games (I have a small child, that plays on the system, and I am not going to be replacing an entire game because of the latest Kool-Aid spill, or whatever the accident of the day is). I would like to know what your experiences have been with your chip, was it easy to install, did you occur any problems, etc.

Here are the ones I have seen:

WiiKey - Xeno Wii

CycloWiz v2

Wiinja v2 Deluxe

WiiD MOD

Here are my questions:

1- Are there different chips for different models of the Wii?

2- If so, how can you tell which one you need?

3- Does it support direct boot of Wii backups?

4- What is the advantage of modding the drive?

Once again please limit any discussion that may steer this conversation down the wrong path, also realize while this is an internet forum and you may feel the need to post your opposition to such devices I don't really care as this is what I feel I need for my situation. I really appreciate your efforts in advance.

I have a WiiKey installed with the D2B chipset. Every Wii sold now has the D2C chipset which was unhackable until now. The very best chip to go for is the CycloWiz because support from developers is very good and has support for the new D2C chipset which you will need. Most of the chips you listed support direct boot of Wii Backups, providing they are backups of the original game you which plays in your Wii anyway eg correct region. The only advantage i can say from my chip is the ability to slow the drive down to make it quieter with the Config disc. You can boot homebrew GC discs aswell and run all sorts of custom software written originally for the GC. There are various places you can check all this information.

I have a WiiKey installed with the D2B chipset. Every Wii sold now has the D2C chipset which was unhackable until now. The very best chip to go for is the CycloWiz because support from developers is very good and has support for the new D2C chipset which you will need. Most of the chips you listed support direct boot of Wii Backups, providing they are backups of the original game you which plays in your Wii anyway eg correct region. The only advantage i can say from my chip is the ability to slow the drive down to make it quieter with the Config disc. You can boot homebrew GC discs aswell and run all sorts of custom software written originally for the GC. There are various places you can check all this information.

I've had my Wii for almost a year, so how would I know what chipset I have. Thanks.

I've had my Wii for almost a year, so how would I know what chipset I have. Thanks.

There is a website where you can check your Wii's serial number and it will tell you the most likely chipset you have. I don't think I can link the site, however.

By the way, I have a Wiikey installed as well and it works fine. One thing you must realize, however, is that in order to backup your existing games, you require a special DVD-ROM (not burner) drive. If you look around the net, you can find out which one this is. I think they are only available on eBay, though.

Yeah man, I'd like to know about what mod chip to get as well.. Wink wink.

You know, because I play homebrew and backups wink wink.

Wink wink this is all legal and stuff so its ok. wink wink

(wink)

After looking it up I have discovered I have a GC2-D2B, and my drive pins are not cut.

Does this mean I can use any chip I wish? I am leaning towards CycloWiz.

You can indeed use any chip you like. Just to let you know, if you ae willing to not pay too much for it you can get a WiiKey clone which is exactly the same as a WiiKey and can be updated the same for a fraction of the cost! Its actually 1/3 of the price of a CycloWiz. Are you getting it installed by someone or yourself?

You can indeed use any chip you like. Just to let you know, if you ae willing to not pay too much for it you can get a WiiKey clone which is exactly the same as a WiiKey and can be updated the same for a fraction of the cost! Its actually 1/3 of the price of a CycloWiz. Are you getting it installed by someone or yourself?

I plan on doing it myself and that is why ease of installation is priority one for me. Also the cost isn't really much of an issue (It will cost less than having to replace 1 game so why not).

I plan on doing it myself and that is why ease of installation is priority one for me.

Ok. You can pick up the WiiKey clone for less than ?10 which is a bargain considering it does the same as other chips.

Just read what you added, Then i suggest the CycloWiz if cost isn't an issue.

No, there is no USB trick. Any modchip for the Wii requires soldering at some level. For his machine, all chips are going to be just as easy as any other, and they will all provide essentially the same features as any other as well.

I went with the WiiKey (I had too much difficulty finding someone to ship the CycloWiz to the U.S.). I'll let you all know how it goes after I install it.

BTW There are a whole list of DVD-Roms that will work (I found a site that listed them) here is one of the more common (picked one of these up too, as well as a triangular screwdriver):

LG GDR-8164B

I went with the WiiKey (I had too much difficulty finding someone to ship the CycloWiz to the U.S.). I'll let you all know how it goes after I install it.

BTW There are a whole list of DVD-Roms that will work (I found a site that listed them) here is one of the more common (picked one of these up too, as well as a triangular screwdriver):

LG GDR-8164B

I think you made a good choice dude. Yeah let us know how it goes with the installation. Don't forget when you install it you will have to update it with the latest hotfix.

That drive is fine to rip the games.

Appropriate name there, eh PiracyX? :shiftyninja: :p

Wiikey works great (Y)

Appropriate name there, eh PiracyX? :shiftyninja: :p

Wiikey works great (Y)

Its not like that though :/

I only have 4 games for the system (which i brought btw), so it was kinda pointless getting a Wiikey installed really. The only other reason i got it was to play my legit backups from the original i own of GC games since i traded in my GC to get the Wii.

Its not like that though :/

I only have 4 games for the system (which i brought btw), so it was kinda pointless getting a Wiikey installed really. The only other reason i got it was to play my legit backups from the original i own of GC games since i traded in my GC to get the Wii.

I was just jesting with you.

You can do w/e you want with your purchase, I don't mind!

I got my Wiikey as outside of the few titles I own (good ones), I'm not wasting money trudging through the mediocre titles the Wii has been getting from 3rd parties.

Add also the massive delays Europe are getting on Wii titles in some cases (Wii isn't region free like PS3/360)

I want to start this thread by noting this topic is not promoting,

By not releasing SSBB till after June, Nintendo are promoting modchips themselves...

Edited by kravex

i have been considering getting my wii chipped but have not yet, i recently read that chips like the Wiikey, Cyclowiz, Wiinja can be overwritten by new games like super mario galaxy and for older wii's the Yaosm is recommended with the d2c being the recommended chip for newer machines (serial LEH135 and above) anyone know if there is any truth in that?

i have been considering getting my wii chipped but have not yet, i recently read that chips like the Wiikey, Cyclowiz, Wiinja can be overwritten by new games like super mario galaxy and for older wii's the Yaosm is recommended with the d2c being the recommended chip for newer machines (serial LEH135 and above) anyone know if there is any truth in that?

Google: Wii chipset serial

and you will find several websites that can tell you which chipset you have based on your serial number. Several of the chips allow you to do firmware updates to the chip itself. Your chipset does limit your choices for a mod chip. But what exact are you asking the truth about?

BTW my mod chip still has yet to arrive, my drive came in so I am all ready to go when it does get here.

are the Wiikey, Cyclowiz, Wiinja safe to use with recent games like SMG?

this is a quote from a local chippers website "We can supply and fit other chips such as the Wiikey and Cyclowiz but do not recommend these as they can easily be wiped by the new Nintendo in game flashing routines. Yaosm utilizes static encoding and cannot be erased in this way."

they used to fit the wiikey iirc but now they fit the yaosm unless you ask for a specific chip, the price is the same i think at ?55 which is reasonable but i would rather have the chip with the most features and best compatibility fitted

are the Wiikey, Cyclowiz, Wiinja safe to use with recent games like SMG?

this is a quote from a local chippers website "We can supply and fit other chips such as the Wiikey and Cyclowiz but do not recommend these as they can easily be wiped by the new Nintendo in game flashing routines. Yaosm utilizes static encoding and cannot be erased in this way."

they used to fit the wiikey iirc but now they fit the yaosm unless you ask for a specific chip, the price is the same i think at ?55 which is reasonable but i would rather have the chip with the most features and best compatibility fitted

The console updates can reduce functionality of the chips, however, the chip makers usually release a firmware update for the chips to fix that. For instance, I purchased SMG and have the latest Wii firmware, but can still play my backed up games after updating my Wiikey firmware.