No More On-Time Free Content and Demos for Xbox Live Silver Members

It sucks for the Silver users, but its not nearly as bad as I think you are trying to make it seem Audioboxer. It just seems like you keep trying to goad people into arguing with you, including Spartan. Now I do not think that Spartan should have brought all of the Sony stuff into this, but at the same time it brought up valuable points that while not directly related to the conversation, gave some insight from the Sony perspective.

If you want my view, it's the opposite.

I hate arguments, they aren't productive and ruin a lot of Neowin topics. I want DISCUSSIONS, whether they agree or disagree with my point. You know you can have an opposing opinion but post it in a reply to mine in such a way where it's respectful enough NOT to cause an argument - That's pretty obvious.

As for how "bad" this is, it's a different scale for everyone. I think it's bad, but just because theres no way I could wait a week to play a massively anticipated demo if I was on a silver account when it's released.

Every 360 gamer has achievements and gamerpoints, regardless of your Live status :p

I know, I didn't make a clear point at all there :p

What I meant is I can really live without everything else that's extra to Live/Gold apart from online play and the communications side of things obviously ;)

This is MY view and not an attack on anybody else's..

I believe as Audio does that this should have maybe been 1 - 3 days at maximum for the main reason that people should not be forced to pay for gold if they are not going to use it(for online games) simple I always liked this about Microsoft in that you always had choice now I realise we still have choice (to wait a week) but any decent gamer will tell you the amount of frustration when a big hit demo gets delayed for even a few hours now imagine having to wait a week?

In any case this will in no way affect me as I plan on always having a subscription as in my view it is dirt cheap..

"^So WhAi DoEz U cArEz ThEn ?!?1" Well it's simple really a thing called caring for the fellow gamer...

And I'll admit at first I also had the "well tehy iz mah bandwihtz I iz paying u iz not" and this your slowing down my speed thing but I really doubt thats a problem to be honest.

Seriously guys give Audio a break he is by far one of the most intelligent and logical gamers around here way more so than some other PS3 "Fans" discussion is a pleasure with him so cut him some slack his words are not there for the purpose of making your console have the RROD nor is he there to bring down Microsoft or is he :shiftyninja: :p

Lets keep Neowin the discussion friendly mature web forum that I fell in love with kay?

Pretty much how I feel.

I certainly don't try to bring any PERSON down. Some things I say might bring down a CONSOLE in the sense that WHAT I say is negative/or a complaint towards the console - However I feel I do my best to explain why I feel they way I do. And do note, there is a difference between a PERSON and a CONSOLE -> One can't show feelings :p, So that's why I try my best not to bring down the former.

I hope thats enough, and that most people will realise I myself know it's perfectly ok to have a different opinion and like something about a console that someone else doesn't like. I don't expect everyone to share my views at all. What I do expect is a little bit of common sense and respect from others, and I try to show it myself (Y)... sometimes though you'll make a mistake and offend someone, apologise & move on, but don't make it a daily ritual to go out your way to frustrate/annoy others (N)

So thanks for the "backup" Green_Eye (Y)

ps. If I had it my way though, i'd bring down MS/Sony & Nintendo and release my own perfect console that has exclusive rights to EVERY game made, is completely free (console included!), and has lag free 800mb dedicated servers. Good idea, no? :no: :unsure: ?

Plus I'll chuck in my own version of home ;)

The Gold membership is still a rip-off. You're paying to basically have access to demo's and to play online. It would be worth it if they offered dedicated servers, rather than playing on people who insist on bridging their dial up connection to play on Live. :pinch:

Pretty much how I feel.

I certainly don't try to bring any PERSON down. Some things I say might bring down a CONSOLE in the sense that WHAT I say is negative/or a complaint towards the console - However I feel I do my best to explain why I feel they way I do. And do note, there is a difference between a PERSON and a CONSOLE -> One can't show feelings :p, So that's why I try my best not to bring down the former.

I hope thats enough, and that most people will realise I myself know it's perfectly ok to have a different opinion and like something about a console that someone else doesn't like. I don't expect everyone to share my views at all. What I do expect is a little bit of common sense and respect from others, and I try to show it myself (Y)... sometimes though you'll make a mistake and offend someone, apologise & move on, but don't make it a daily ritual to go out your way to frustrate/annoy others (N)

So thanks for the "backup" Green_Eye (Y)

ps. If I had it my way though, i'd bring down MS/Sony & Nintendo and release my own perfect console that has exclusive rights to EVERY game made, is completely free (console included!), and has lag free 800mb dedicated servers. Good idea, no? :no: :unsure: ?

Plus I'll chuck in my own version of home ;)

Sounds good to me :D

? :huh:

Majority of their bandwidth bill comes from Marketplace - not game servers they dont host

Wrong.

There is a lot of bandwidth involved in "matching up" players to play together. The Live servers are used for matchmaking. It's not used for the actual game, true, but there are still definitely bandwidth costs involved.

In addition to this, the Live servers are also used for sending game invites, voice messages, picture messages, hosting achievements, patches, etc etc.

Wrong.

There is a lot of bandwidth involved in "matching up" players to play together. The Live servers are used for matchmaking. It's not used for the actual game, true, but there are still definitely bandwidth costs involved.

In addition to this, the Live servers are also used for sending game invites, voice messages, picture messages, hosting achievements, patches, etc etc.

I know, but marketplace is still the majority :p

I know, but marketplace is still the majority :p

Yea, true, but I think we can dismiss that from the discussion because at least as far as movies, tv shows, etc are concerned each person pays for those and that certainly should cover the bandwidth costs.

Wrong.

Exactly what I was trying to explain to you in the other topic regarding EA servers, Huleboeren.

Who doesn't have a Gold account though? :wacko:

Me, because I discovered it wasn't worth the money when all I get is ****ty laggy games since there aren't enough Australians playing a particular game.

Exactly what I was trying to explain to you in the other topic regarding EA servers, Huleboeren.

Well, you certainly did a bad job of it then, DrunknMunky

Heres what I would do if xbl was up to me:

- Get demos ealier than silver accounts(2-3days, but then again, I can see how that would not make it worth to upgrade to gold)

- Get priority bandwidth

- Participate in more betas

- Small discount on content

Online for free

The discount on content is a good idea. I like that. :D

Almost everything is overpriced on the Marketplace (apart from the free stuff of course!). For Gold members we should see a 10-20% discount over Silver members but that is never going to happen.

Also i wonder is this going to apply to just game demos or movies aswell once its launches here on the 11th. Would be interesting to find out soon.

cos they want you to get that damned gold subscription!

...no ****. Did you figure that out all by yourself? What kind of company would they be if they didn't want you to buy their stuff?

-Spenser

...no ****. Did you figure that out all by yourself? What kind of company would they be if they didn't want you to buy their stuff?

-Spenser

no, your mom and dad helped me with this post actually.

that's like if VW would shut down it's Golf production and say "come on you cheeky bastards, grab a gallardo instead"

they take away choice

no, your mom and dad helped me with this post actually.

that's like if VW would shut down it's Golf production and say "come on you cheeky bastards, grab a gallardo instead"

they take away choice

The difference between MS and VW is that no matter how it ends up, MS has still added choice, seeing as before there was the Xbox 360, the only way to get Live was to pay for it.

-Spenser

? :huh:

Majority of their bandwidth bill comes from Marketplace - not game servers they dont host

...and the millions of messages with voices....and the demos which are still 700mb-1.5gb a time (even if they are a week later)...

In all honesty I don't think Silver members should be able to download anything unless they pay via points or via a gold subscription.

...and the millions of messages with voices....and the demos which are still 700mb-1.5gb a time (even if they are a week later)...

In all honesty I don't think Silver members should be able to download anything unless they pay via points or via a gold subscription.

marketplace = demos

God, this debate got really stupid, huh?

Lets face it, what did live offer non-subscribers the last generation? -NOTHING-

Then when the 360 came out, they announced silver subscribers and everyone thought it was great. Some were annoyed that they still had to pay for online play, but generally everyone was happy they were getting something.

But what exactly WERE you getting? They official stated that silver subscribers would get "Access To Xbox Live Marketplace". Yes, access! Nobody ever said that you'd get the same level of access as the paying customers and as a gold subscriber, I'm HAPPY that I'll get some benefit from it other than online play.

I'd like to see more benefits, too, like a marketplace discount, or some Microsoft points or SOMETHING to justify the price. But if, 2 years ago, Microsoft announced that Live would be the same as it was on the original Xbox and that -NOBODY- would get any kind of "free" access, then nobody would have batted an eyelid. Be happy with what you got, if you really believe that the PSN is superior, then the PS3 forum is Here. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

well people could get OXM and demo disc i do. i just got gold too. its still F'ed up its like giving a little kid candy then after he eats half of it, taking it back and say you need to pay 50 cents for that candy