Quick Tutorial on Photography

• 1 month later...
You may want to look at a camera which allows you to take more than 3 bracketed shots, as it would greately improve the quality of the HDR. As far as I can tell both EOS 40D and the Digital Rebel XT can only shoot 3 pictures in bracketing (I may be wrong though).

Of course you can always set the bracketing to -2/0/+2, then manually change the exposure compensation to -3EV and shoot 3 pictures. Then change the exposure compensation to +3EV and shoot another 3 pictures. That way you'll end up with a total of 6 pictures (-5,-3,-1,1,3,5).

The problem is that you'll have to manually change the exposure compensation which may slightly move the camera (even on tripod) and change the scene itself.

I use D80 to shoot my HDR (just starting), but I am planning on getting the D300, as it allows you to shoot 9 bracketed pictures, which would make it perfect for HDR.

Also - remeber to shoot RAW :-)

Links to a forum about bracketing on 40D: DPreview.com - Bracketing on 40D

Another option is to get a remote that allows you to change the exposure time. This would let you to take any number of shots without touching the camera. It might be a more affordable solution unless the more expensive camera has some features you really need. Ebay has a bunch of knock-off remotes for both Canon and Nikon that work just as well as the branded ones.

• 2 months later...

Love this part of the the forum...I just started and after reading the entire thing i took some pictures and now correcting those pictures after reading it again and again. Every time you read you improve your photography skills.

Thanks so much SirEvan.

• 4 months later...

I just got a dslr camera the nikon d40 and i have one problem with this tutorial. It states to get 10 mega pixels or better if you want to be serious. My panasonic dmz-tz3 is 10.1 mega pixels and my nikon d40 is 6.1 and it takes much better pictures then my point and shoot.

I just got a dslr camera the nikon d40 and i have one problem with this tutorial. It states to get 10 mega pixels or better if you want to be serious. My panasonic dmz-tz3 is 10.1 mega pixels and my nikon d40 is 6.1 and it takes much better pictures then my point and shoot.

Quality of the sensor, the lens and processing of the data gathered of the sensor are far more important than how many megapixels there is. 6MP on D40 is more than enough if you are not doing any major print work.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to write an update to this, going to cover more advanced stuff such as panoramics, Studio lighting, and other topics. It may be a while though as work has been pretty busy, I'll work on it in bits and pieces and then post an update in a new thread.

Great work SirEvan.

The best thing about it, is it's simple. Nothing too complicated. You'd do well to write a load more then publish it as a book :p

Great work SirEvan.

The best thing about it, is it's simple. Nothing too complicated. You'd do well to write a load more then publish it as a book :p

No time to write a book, the reason I'm doing these guides is because When I started, the only way I learned was from reading, and hands on. I never really had anyone to give me tips and advice on how to improve my pictures, so it took years of hard work to learn what I know today. Figured I could help those getting started out in photography by explaining stuff in an easy to understand guide that was easy to reference. The next one I'm working on will be more advanced, but will stiill be easy enough to follow for beginners.

• 3 months later...