Serious flaw discovered in Windows Vista's Explorer

Instead of admitting that you blew it way out of proportion you choose to call everybody else fanboys? Comon, you could do better than that.

I've edited the original post. As far as the title, I posted this very late last night. Yes, I agree, the title could have been better worded, but the amount of disrespect is uncalled for. This isn't a personal attack on you, or anyone else, this is a general comment to the state of what has transpired. I don't want any more flaming to go on, it's a shame to see this happen on one of Microsoft's featured communities.

At this point, I'd like to ask a moderator to delete this thread.

I've edited the original post. As far as the title, I posted this very late last night. Yes, I agree, the title could have been better worded, but the amount of disrespect is uncalled for. This isn't a personal attack on you, or anyone else, this is a general comment to the state of what has transpired. I don't want any more flaming to go on, it's a shame to see this happen on one of Microsoft's featured communities.

Why delete the thread if the information is accurate? Do you just prefer it gone for the flaming you are receiving? I personally don't see the seriousness of the flaw nor understand if using a NOT boolean argument in a search was such a common practice that it wasn't found until now. If explorer.exe terminates unexpectly and immediately reboots it's just like any other explorer.exe crash so where's the big issue? :blink:

Was that a joke? What's the big issue? Kristan is trying to make Windows better. You obviously could not care less for it. "what's the big issue" It is an explorer crash! I mean FFS! Are you going to claim to be part of the Windows Communitiy with a mindset like that? I would think one of the ohhh maybe top 3 resposibilites of a member of the Windows Community/ Windows enthusiast would be trying to make Windows better... It seems with you that you have given up on Windows and say "Hah Windows sucks, it crashes all the time."

As an experienced forum admin I would like to offer the following advice

@iCeFuSiOn....when posting on a forum where the average member age appears to be 14 and the average member iq appears to be 0, be careful how you word your posts.

@email flamers....if you have'nt got the guts to speak out publicly and instead resort to flaming in private, you need to reexamine your values.

Call me when something serious happens.

You never know man, maybe every time someone does this, another plane comes down.

It seems that you posted with a sensationalist headline in order to "rouse the community". It sounds like your intention was for Microsoft to receive negative attention - a small price to pay, no doubt, for raising awareness of the issue at hand - and found out the hard way that sensationalism is a double-edged sword.

Its unfortunate that you were the unwitting victim of your own devices here, but I think there was a lesson to learn, and it hasn't been picked up. How could the initial situation have been handled better?

You could very easily have written an objective post detailing the discovery of a bug in the usage of boolean operators which appears to lead to crashes of the shell under certain circumstances. Instead, you chose to flag this as a "serious flaw" and tried to spark off an emotional response in your readers to go yell at Microsoft for being a bunch of lazy *uckups. You've also wiped the original post, and source. Great job with the running away, but not an entirely laudable thing to do.

You could have followed up with more details of Microsoft's alleged irresponsibility in patching bugs commonly experienced by users of pre-SP1, and not addressed in SP1. But you choose not to take time to do that, and instead published with one bug example (which was contradicted by other users of SP1 RC shortly afterwards). Please understand that this weakened your point of how Microsoft will overlook user reported issues (and I agree, they do, and they need to reassess their user experience quality).

Now you've made some mistakes, drew fire on an obviously controversial topic (although you intended Microsoft to receive most of the flak from your article), and still you persist in non-objective responses, trying to arouse sympathy within the community. Well, I can be partially sympathetic, but really, you were the one playing with matches in a field of dry straw, and instead of burning down Neighbor Bill's farm, you burned down your own. But please don't try and erase your mistakes. You've acknowledged that you didn't handle things as well as you could have, and that's a great first step, but don't erase the dialogue that has been generated from all this. You've received childish responses. That's fine. Ignore them. When folks raise valid points, address them, and let them contribute to the dialogue. You're still raising awareness within the community when you're doing this, unlike when you just give up, wipe everything, and run away.

I didn't see much problems as far as your original post goes, but I have to say I was indeed pretty frustrated that the title led me to believe there's actually a "serious flaw", and by that I (and I presume most people) assumed it was a security flaw.

As far as I could see all the angry posts were directed at your choice of title, not much (if any) were directed at you personally, so I'm not sure what you have to be so sensitive about.

And I'd think that it's not much of an expectation from the general public that these kinds of reports are accurate in both information and magnitude, what's to be surprised about when a gross exaggeration is met with negative attitudes?

It seems that you posted with a sensationalist headline in order to "rouse the community". It sounds like your intention was for Microsoft to receive negative attention - a small price to pay, no doubt, for raising awareness of the issue at hand - and found out the hard way that sensationalism is a double-edged sword.

Its unfortunate that you were the unwitting victim of your own devices here, but I think there was a lesson to learn, and it hasn't been picked up. How could the initial situation have been handled better?

You could very easily have written an objective post detailing the discovery of a bug in the usage of boolean operators which appears to lead to crashes of the shell under certain circumstances. Instead, you chose to flag this as a "serious flaw" and tried to spark off an emotional response in your readers to go yell at Microsoft for being a bunch of lazy *uckups. You've also wiped the original post, and source. Great job with the running away, but not an entirely laudable thing to do.

You could have followed up with more details of Microsoft's alleged irresponsibility in patching bugs commonly experienced by users of pre-SP1, and not addressed in SP1. But you choose not to take time to do that, and instead published with one bug example (which was contradicted by other users of SP1 RC shortly afterwards). Please understand that this weakened your point of how Microsoft will overlook user reported issues (and I agree, they do, and they need to reassess their user experience quality).

Now you've made some mistakes, drew fire on an obviously controversial topic (although you intended Microsoft to receive most of the flak from your article), and still you persist in non-objective responses, trying to arouse sympathy within the community. Well, I can be partially sympathetic, but really, you were the one playing with matches in a field of dry straw, and instead of burning down Neighbor Bill's farm, you burned down your own. But please don't try and erase your mistakes. You've acknowledged that you didn't handle things as well as you could have, and that's a great first step, but don't erase the dialogue that has been generated from all this. You've received childish responses. That's fine. Ignore them. When folks raise valid points, address them, and let them contribute to the dialogue. You're still raising awareness within the community when you're doing this, unlike when you just give up, wipe everything, and run away.

I was going to comment on this affair but this post said everything I wanted to say.

Fanboyism is nothing new, it has been part of the internet for years, and will always continue to be part of the internet. Without making this sound rude, a lot of sceners seem to be falling in on their own egos and believing their own self-hype, and the problem is that if you write sensationalist articles like this, you are bound to draw some criticism from people, that is what the internet is like, and it has to be something you are willing to accept if you are going to blog about these kind of matters. I would also like to point out that including your personal email address in any blog post is also inveterantly stupid, and is really just asking for trouble, because at the end of the day that is what comments are there for.

I value everyone's contributions from the scene, but if people can't take the heat of what they post then I personally have no sympathy for them, it is a simple fact that no matter what your opinion is someone IS gonna flame you for it because the internet is a wide bed of such diverse opinions.

I think the OP should grow a thicker skin. Throwing his toys out of the pram just because some random nobodies on the internet decided to flame him? Not the most mature reaction really.

actually serious flaw is $400 off the bank account due to an 'ultimate POS' that is full of flaws/bugs/annoyances and ultimately is obfuscated by its 6 years old predecessor... great pos.... we all should be wow'ed

edit: wow bold

Edited by Jock Horror

This is a fluke on certain people's systems. I've tried it on three different systems, two that don't have SP1 and one that does and it only happened once. I don't see why anyone would be trying to search for everything on their system that isn't a shortcut in the first place.

This thread is going no where and only serves the purpose for those who hate Vista to bash Vista and for those who love Vista to bash those who don't.

thread closed