RIAA Now Filing Suits Against Consumers Who Rip CDs

I don't full understand what the RIAA is aiming at doing by suing people who rip their own CDs legally. Maybe someone can explain what they'll gain from doing this as I'm lost.

Their CD sales are down, so let's so the people who buy them legally and rip them onto their computer. That makes a lot of sense now doesn't it.

And I still can't see how making a copy is illegal. Like when watching a NFL game, they have that disclaimer that says you need our permission blah blah blah, but where on CDs does it say you can't for YOUR OWN reasons, not to give to other people.

"All rights reserved" - is all they have to say :D

If this actually happens, I will never buy a CD of music again. But I don't think they will stop there.

I understand protecting their "investment" but I think they are going to end up losing everything. With a backlash of this ripping idea (and the other suits), I wonder if the artists will start suing the RIAA for lost sales.

The only way the RIAA would know that they copied it is if the idiots turned around and shared it. In which case the deserve to be sued.

This is a great incentive, though, for me to teach my friends to use encryption. Install GPG, create a keypair, and .TAR up a bunch of ripped CDs (lossless, of course) until you get 4.4 gigs, then encrypt the TAR file (4096-bit DSA), burn it to DVD and send it snail-mail. Put that in the crack pipe and smoke it, RIAA.

Oh, don't forget to label the DVD "Quarterly Earnings Backup."