PS3 - Black Screen - Dead? (RISEN FROM THE DEAD!)

Weird! My ultra quiet 40gb, was ****ING loud this morning. Out of nowhere it went to like maximum speed, louder than my 60gb was EVER.

I was playing Resistance on pretty average/high volume and the fan noise completely took over. I turned it off, and it seems quiet now when I turn it on. Could this be another faulty PS3?

^ Anyone? :(

Is it still noisy or not?

If not, then well, I dunno... just keep an eye on it.

I left it setup for HDTV and when I connected it to my SDTV through standard cables and I was treated to a nice black screen. Some research on the internet told me this is common and what you have to do is reset your PS3 to the standard display output.

Now I've done that about 20x times. Holding the reset button till it beeps, and it does nothing. Well my HDTV which I now have it connected back to says its connected at 576p but the screen is still black.

Any ideas or can anyone confirm it could be a dead OS or something? It feels like it's "bricked" or something...

I know your problem has been solved, but I thought I would post a different possible solution to your problem. I ran into the same symptoms as you (blank screen w/o sound, connect AV cables and hold reset button w/o change, extreme frustration, etc.). I was connected via HDMI cable to a 32" LCD 720p HDTV. In addition to the many futile hold-until-reset I did (to test the AV cables), I powered down the PS3 to standby and turned the switch to off a few times; still no fix. I then noticed that after changing the TV input to cable-TV setting (which was via a different HDMI TV connector) a problem was listed on the screen. The cable box (cablevision) message stated an issue with the HDMI connection and would not display a TV show, only cable guide info. This lead me to suspect the TV instead of the PS3. So I powered everything down (TV, PS3, cable box) and then turned off the surge protector. After a minute, I powered everything back on and the PS3, cable, TV was working as it had been doing the previous day.

I believe that the TV got into a weird state and was unable to perform the standard HDMI handshaking. Thus, a million reboots by the PS3 would have never solved the problem, but a reboot of the HDTV would fix it; as it did. During the many PS3 reboots I frantically performed, the PS3 was very quiet making me think that something was very wrong with the PS3, such as the hdd was bad or the OS was corrupt. I'm not sure if you verified that the hdd was bad or if just swapping it fixed your problem, but I thought I needed place this easy solution (for my problem) where others could find it.

Weird! My ultra quiet 40gb, was ****ING loud this morning. Out of nowhere it went to like maximum speed, louder than my 60gb was EVER.

I was playing Resistance on pretty average/high volume and the fan noise completely took over. I turned it off, and it seems quiet now when I turn it on. Could this be another faulty PS3?

I wish my 60gb was quiet after CoD4. Meh.

yeah my 60gb was loud as hell all the time, this 40gb is quiet except when i go decent amount into the Uncharted Demo... it happened again last night, i'm pretty upset at that, but i can't really do anything.

• 9 months later...
Something like that, but I have no idea how...

I haven't done ANYTHING to the PS3 - Only got it yesterday. Only thing ive installled is super star dust hd.

same exact thing is happening to me.... got it yesterday,worked great, watched some tv, went back nuthin but black screen............wtf................pp

Something like that, but I have no idea how...

I haven't done ANYTHING to the PS3 - Only got it yesterday. Only thing ive installled is super star dust hd.

same exact thing is happening to me.... got it yesterday,worked great, watched some tv, went back nuthin but black screen....did bout 100 resets..says 480p SD......wtf................pp

Edited by Papaperu