HDDVD group cancel CES press conference in wake of Warner announcement

HD DVD group cancels CES press conference in wake of Warner announcement: daaamn

Posted Jan 4th 2008 10:14PM by Ryan Block

We just got an email which stated that the HD DVD group is canceling its CES press conference; tail severely between legs over today's explosive news that Warner -- the last "undecided" studio -- was going to the other side and doing Blu-ray discs exclusively. We're not sure if that's because the HD DVD group was in 11th hour negotiations with Warner or what, but the mood at that camp has to be beyond somber right now, so it's pretty hard to thump the tub when you've just been dealt a hard losing hand. Notice posted after the break.

Update: Toshiba, masters of the HD DVD format, just issued a press release expressing their "particular disappointment" with Warner, also implying that the move to go Blu-ray exclusive is actually in breach of contract. The particularly depressing release is also posted after the break.

Update 2: Doing a little victory dance of its own, Blu-ray is touting its CES presence as "Best Booth of All Time". No, not at all puerile. Nyah.

--snip (cancellation email)--

Notice of CES Press Conference Cancellation by North American HD DVD Promotion Group

Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, we have decided to postpone our CES 2008 press conference scheduled for Sunday, January 6th at 8:30 p.m. in the Wynn Hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD's commitment to quality and affordability ? a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format.

We'll continue to keep you updated on new developments around HD DVD.

--end-

--snip (the release of disappointment, PR cousin to the walk of shame)--

Toshiba's Comment on Announcement from Warner Bros. Entertainment of Its Exclusive Support for Blu-ray Disc Format

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner

Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact

that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning

the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long

maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together

to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define

and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite

of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as

other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the

US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other

HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm

in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs

of the consumer.

--end--

Source

oh man, this sucks... especially for the consumer here in Canada. During this xmas, 70 of 100 people that bought some sort of HD content, half went to the HD-DVD cause of its affordability... but now all these people have been left behind and are forced to buy $500 Blu-ray players or the soon to be dead PS3

Honestly I think HD-DVD can still win if attacks Blu-Ray on all fronts, Games, Movies, and Computer. Make the HD DVD Rom standard like the DVD-ROM. Sell HD DVD Roms for 100 bucks, and burners for 150.

Just My Idea, Seeing how This format over isnt just over movies.. I would hope.

HD DVD can't win this "war" all they can do is just keep on rolling but theres no way they can drive Blu-Ray outta the market especially now.

Anyone with a dream of Blu-ray now dying or loosing this "war" is in a dream world.

As soon as Sony introduces a low-cost player, the war is essentially over.

Until that happens, HD DVD is going to continue to put up a fight, but they won't win without a miracle. It's over.

forced to buy $500 Blu-ray players or the soon to be dead PS3

What? Soon to be dead PS3? You must be joking right? Simple Troll... The PS3 is selling very well since the new 40Gig $399 edition came out. Even the $499 is selling quite well. And it's the cheapest Blu-Ray player you can buy (Profile 1.1).

You're not forced to buy a $500 player.... Get a $399 PS3 instead and as a bonus, you get a nice gaming console.

As soon as Sony introduces a low-cost player, the war is essentially over.

Until that happens, HD DVD is going to continue to put up a fight, but they won't win without a miracle. It's over.

but sony and low-cost don't go together lol... its more about some chinese company coming out with dirt cheap players

What? Soon to be dead PS3? You must be joking right? Simple Troll... The PS3 is selling very well since the new 40Gig $399 edition came out. Even the $499 is selling quite well. And it's the cheapest Blu-Ray player you can buy (Profile 1.1).

You're not forced to buy a $500 player.... Get a $399 PS3 instead and as a bonus, you get a nice gaming console.

PS3 selling nicely?? wtf!! I dont know anyone who has a PS3 and at my work, only 2 customers bought a PS3 this week, 5 xbox's are sold a day!

PS3 selling nicely?? wtf!! I dont know anyone who has a PS3 and at my work, only 2 customers bought a PS3 this week, 5 xbox's are sold a day!

Well, I did alot of shopping this Xmas, was in 2 FutureShop and BestBuys and each time, I saw 2-3 guys/parents going out with a PS3 in their hands. That's each time I went to the stores. So I figure than during a complete day... They must have sold alot.

Okay, it's nowhere near close to the amount of Wii sold, but it did much better this year than last year. Mainly because of the $399 price and the fact that it play Blu-Ray movies. That Spiderman3 movie included in the box did something good... People now know that the PS3 can also play movies.

Yeah, I can honestly say I don't know anyone with a PS3. I'm in college and in my dorm, no one I know has a PS3 but I'd say at least half of us have a 360 in our room, out of 25 dorms.

Yeah, I can honestly say I don't know anyone with a PS3. I'm in college and in my dorm, no one I know has a PS3 but I'd say at least half of us have a 360 in our room, out of 25 dorms.

Just because you dont know anyone doesnt mean that its not selling. You dont know everyone in the world.

The weird thing is that one of the first things Warner was asked was when The Matrix Trilogy was coming out on Blu-Ray and their response was "as soon as they work out the details of BD Java and PIP." It still seems like Blu-Ray has more "issues" than HD-DVD, but I guess they figured if they went HD-DVD they would just divide the camps more evenly, while going BR would shift it significantly towards BR. They just want to start selling next-gen movies ASAP. They don't give a crap about the consumers.

but sony and low-cost don't go together lol... its more about some chinese company coming out with dirt cheap players

:laugh:

You knew what I meant. As soon as a low-cost Blu-Ray player comes out from someone.

The only ways I can see HD DVD winning is the following:

- They introduce and market the hell out of a really inexpensive player (say, $50-$80), and an unknowing public (that most studios are Blu-Ray exclusive) gobbles it up and forces some of the studios to go neutral or HD DVD.

- HD DVD group pays insane money to some current Blu-Ray exclusive backers.

And, honestly, I can't see the latter option happening. The first option probably won't happen, either. This war's pretty much over.

:laugh:

You knew what I meant. As soon as a low-cost Blu-Ray player comes out from someone.

The only ways I can see HD DVD winning is the following:

- They introduce and market the hell out of a really inexpensive player (say, $50-$80), and an unknowing public (that most studios are Blu-Ray exclusive) gobbles it up and forces some of the studios to go neutral or HD DVD.

- HD DVD group pays insane money to some current Blu-Ray exclusive backers.

And, honestly, I can't see the latter option happening. The first option probably won't happen, either. This war's pretty much over.

They need nothing short of a miracle.

Just because you dont know anyone doesnt mean that its not selling. You dont know everyone in the world.

According to sales figures, it isn't selling nicely. :laugh:

Ironman273: Warner has said the same thing about those movies even after they announced their backing of Blu-Ray. They're not coming until those details are worked out.

Crap. I was looking forward to getting a HDDVD player attachment for my 360 this spring. Well, since I'm sure as hell not buying a PS3 anytime soon, guess I better wait for a Bluray player that is sub-$200.