UFC 84 Thread

Sean Sherk, a former UFC lightweight champion who was stripped of the title after his his suspension from a failed UFC 73 drug test was upheld by the California State Athletic Commission, says he will next fight in April ? possibly at an April 19 UFC 84 event in Montreal.

In an interview with sportsnet.ca, Sherk said UFC officials recently told him he?d fight in April and that he hopes it?ll be at the Montreal event.

Sherk hasn?t fought since July 7, when he posted a unanimous-decision over Hermes Franca in his first title defense. However, the 34-year-old tested positive for elevated testosterone levels and the anabolic steroid Nandrolone, more commonly known as Decadurabolin, during the Sacramento, Calif. event. Sherk appealed, but after a series of delays, the commission ultimately cut his one-year suspension to six months but upheld the $2,500 fine. (He?s eligible to fight again on Jan. 3.)

Soon after the news that Sherk would serve a suspension, UFC President Dana White confirmed that the organization had stripped the fighter of the title.

Sherk maintains that he?s innocent and said that Quest Laboratories may have botched the testing of his urine sample by allowing ?carryover? in their testing machines. He also cites bloodwork and a lie-detector test that signified his innocence.

However, even though the commissioners opted to cut Sherk?s suspension in half, they didn?t budge from their stance that he tested positive for the steroid.

In today?s interview, Sherk also states that the UFC will likely give him an immediate title shot, meaning he could face the winner of Joe Stevenson vs. B.J. Penn ? who fight next week at UFC 80 for the vacant UFC lightweight title ? in Montreal.

That could give UFC 84 two title fights; UFC welterweight champ Matt Serra recently stated he?ll fight interim champ Georges St. Pierre in a title-unification bout at the event.

The UFC has never held an event in Canada.

• 3 weeks later...
Chuck Liddell, a former UFC light heavyweight champion who rebounded from back-to-back losses with a win over Wanderlei Silva in December, could next fight Mauricio ?Shogun? Rua at either UFC 84 on May 24 (Las Vegas) or UFC 85 on June 14 (in London).

News of the potential bout first surfaced in a recent SportsIllustrated.com interview with Liddell.

Additionally, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed with a source close to Keith Jardine ? a Team Jackson fighter who scored a decision victory over Liddell in September ? that he will likely fight someone other than Liddell in his next fight. A Jardine-Liddell rematch had been rumored for much of the past month.

Liddell, who won the 205-lb. title at UFC 52, made four successful title defenses before a loss to Quinton Jackson this past May. He then dropped a split decision to Jardine in September. However, in a fight that was one of the most-anticipated in the sport?s history, he defeated former PRIDE champion and recent UFC signee Silva via unanimous decision in the co-main event of UFC 79.

The 26-year-old Rua made his octagon debut at UFC 76, but the Brazilian suffered an upset submission loss (via rear-naked choke) to Forrest Griffin. Prior to the bout, he had won 12 of 13 fights. Rua underwent knee surgery after the fight but said he wasn?t using it as an excuse for the loss.

According to the SI.com piece, Liddell and his camp are pushing for the fight to take place at UFC 84, which takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, rather than an overseas event.

why does it say ufc 84 is in may in vegas on the second post when the first says april in montreal when that will be 83 not 84

why does it say ufc 84 is in may in vegas on the second post when the first says april in montreal when that will be 83 not 84

They probably changed the venue at a later date, either that or the poster got it wrong on the site :p

• 4 weeks later...

Penn, Machida and Silva are my picks.

I completely and whole heartedly believe that penn will make a fool out of sherk. Sherk has talent, but the recent BJ Penn cannot be stopped.

I don't much like Sherk because of his steroid abuse. Anytime someone has to cheat its an automatic thumbs down. What comes to mind is the DLH vs. Vargas fight where DLH pounded the crap out of Vargas even though Vargas was roided. That is the ultimate own.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if Tito Ortiz will have the last laugh. It'll be a shame to see him go either way, I just hope that we see classic Tito for his final fight!

BJ Penn all the way, Sherk shouldn't even be in the Octogon! How can you get done for steroids in a real sport and not get banned for at least a year, let alone 2!

I read something the other day that WWE are interested in Tito but Tito was a referee with TNA so I doubt that will ever happen.

Penn is talking about GSP, I just don't see it with the athleticism of GSP right now. He is dominant. Nonetheless, Aloha BJ, you made the bruddahs happy!

How wrong is this??

The total disclosed payroll for the event was $1,098,000.

The full list of salaries included:

* B.J. Penn ($250,000) def. Sean Sherk ($35,000)

* Wanderlei Silva ($150,000) def. Keith Jardine ($10,000)

* Goran Reljic ($6,000) def. Wilson Gouveia ($18,000)

* Lyoto Machida ($100,000) def. Tito Ortiz ($210,000)

* Thiago Silva ($50,000) def. Antonio Mendes ($4,000)

* Rousimar Palhares ($10,000) def. Ivan Salaverry ($20,000)

* Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou ($80,000) def. Kazuhiro Nakamura ($20,00O)

* Rich Clementi ($40,000) def. Terry Etim ($10,000)

* Yoshiyuki Yoshida ($12,000) def. Jon Koppenhaver ($8,000)

* Dong Hyun Kim ($40,000) def. Jason Tan ($3000)

* Shane Carwin ($12,000) def. Christian Wellisch ($10,000)

i've never been one to hop on the tito bandwagon and bash the UFC for not respecting or paying properly but this is just disgusting. Jardine deserves ALOT more then 10k for his fight, even though he lost VERY quickly, 10k barely covers his day to day costs for training/travel etc.. and yes, the fighters do pay their own way for pretty much everything. The UFC should be ashamed of what they are doing.

I did hear it was over a $1m dollars but looking these its quite atrocious and I agree Jardine should of got at least $50k I feel as it was part of the double main event, whats weird is Dong Hyun Kim who was on the undercard got more!