[official] Blu-ray Confirmed News

They also forgot Panasonic giveaways too. So taken in considaration that almost each one of Sony, Sharp, Panasonic accounted for close to 30% each with giveaway, Blu-Ray hardly sold anything. BDA crowd seems to continue spinning garbage as always.

So again your crying about stuff that is actually good for the consumer and again about how unfair special offers are. Hilarious. I'd really love to see how you would have spun this war if the offers were the other way around.

The best way to introduce people to HDM is by selling them a player when they buy a TV which is what they finally seem to have started doing. I seriously doubt however that they are the sole reason why BD hardware sales have beaten HD-DVD into the ground this week tho

The best way to introduce people to HDM is by selling them a player when they buy a TV which is what they finally seem to have started doing. I seriously doubt however that they are the sole reason why BD hardware sales have beaten HD-DVD into the ground this week tho

But its a good reason to spin the numbers if you're on the losing side. Its a great marketing strategy since they were going to have a good chance to sell the TV in the first place and now they're bundling the BR player with it [instead of a larger rebate no doubt] so they can get the hi-def experience right out of the box.

Woolworths (UK) to stock Blu-ray only.

http://www.t3.com/news/woolworths-blu-ray?=35152

"The move comes after Blu-Ray outsold its rival in Woolies by a massive 10 to 1 over Christmas. The retailer is now the biggest seller of the format in the UK, with sales rising a massive 40% every month.

All 820 Woolworths stores here in the UK will get a Blu-Ray chart, as well as a back catalogue section."

They aren't the biggest store in the UK, but they've always had an extensive music/DVD section in every store so this is a pretty big move.

Also they tend to be the only place to get audio/visual media in some small towns.

Official press link

http://www.woolworthsmediacentre.co.uk/ind...6&Itemid=33

Edited by DrCheese

woolies may not be as big as it once was, but its certainly a big part of the industry, it won't take long until the like of zavvi (I hate that name) and HMV follow suit

Although it hasn't been officially announced, it appears that all Circuit City stores are closing out Toshiba HD DVD players, and they will not be replenished. Our Circuit City had only one player left in the store.

Circuit City is bizarre, they labeled everything as clearance over the weekend and an employee posted it on Hi def digest, but later on sunday he posted that it was a labelling error.... so at the moment its a bit dodgy. Until CC release a statement we should assume they are going to continue to stock them.

Toshiba replied to the woolworth's thing

"We have been hugely successful in expanding the number of consumers owning HD DVD players. UK consumers can now pick-up an HD DVD player for less than ?150, around half the cost of other HD formats.Even before pricing reached this level, HD DVD represented more than 60% of the overall standalone high definition market.>

"Just as importantly for movie retailers, HD DVD has always enjoyed greater software sales per player than any other HD format. In fac, HD DVD owners have already bought around 3.5 movies each, compared to less than one movie sold per Blu ray device.>

"While we're disappointed by Woolworths' decision, it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win. As the figures I mention show - where consumers have a choice, they choose HD DVD. We're confident that HD DVD's affordability, fantastic choice of movies, great consumer experience and upcoming promotions will help it continue to strengthen its share of the market."

>

The bits I've bolded are doublespeak, in the first they don't include the PS3 in the stats but then in the second bit they do. Kinda lame on Toshiba's part.

Funny how they say its way to early to tell which format will win, Toshiba remind me more and more of Baghdad Bob each day:pp

Although it hasn't been officially announced, it appears that all Circuit City stores are closing out Toshiba HD DVD players, and they will not be replenished. Our Circuit City had only one player left in the store.

Circuit City has already said this is not the case. Read the other thread.

Funny how they say its way to early to tell which format will win, Toshiba remind me more and more of Baghdad Bob each day :p

HAHA, i was just thinking the exact same thing...

Well yeah, but the woolworth's thing is a good for BD, so I posted it in here and it seemed right to post Toshiba's come back in here. I wasn't sure about posting it in the HD-DVD area, especially as my views on it could be seen as inciting the HD-DVD crowd. The only other place is the general discussion bit I guess as it affects both sides.

Edited by DrCheese

Well yeah, but the woolworth's thing is a good for BD, so I posted it in here and it seemed right to post Toshiba's come back in here. I wasn't sure about posting it in the HD-DVD area, especially as my views on it could be seen as inciting the HD-DVD crowd. The only other place is the general discussion bit I guess as it affects both sides.

+1

Sony Offers Blu-ray Rebate to German HD DVD Owners

In the latest advertisement from German retailer Saturn, Sony is offering 150 Euros off the purchase of a Sony BDP-S300 when current HD DVD owners turn in their used players. This is an outstanding deal for those high definition fans in Germany who would otherwise have been left with a very expensive paperweight. Currently this offer is only available in Germany.

Admittedly, the Sony BDP-S300 is more expensive in Germany at 499 Euros ($737), so this offer brings the player down to a more familiar price of around $500. Even so, I'm sure there are plenty of people in US who would love to take advantage of a similar deal. Unfortunately for them, HD DVD adoption is much higher in the US, meaning a similar plan here would cost Sony hundreds of millions of dollars to execute. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Source: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=901

With the rebate it makes it roughly ?260, and the player sells for ?250 here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDP-S300-Blu-...6272&sr=8-1

Germany do need to pay a lo:|:|

But still this is cheeky but effective marketing.

To be fair on amazon the player is only 400 euros - http://www.amazon.de/BDP-S-Blu-Ray-Player-...6504&sr=8-1

At the Best Buy stores in the U.S. (I don't know if this is true elsewhere), they have a Blue-ray DVD player display. When I look at it, it almost looks fake. I've had HD for quite some time and the shows don't look the same. The shows look like they've been touched up through some means. Lost on the display looks nothing like what the show looks like through the HD broadcasts.

Has anyone else noticed this or can attest to this being done intentionally?

At the Best Buy stores in the U.S. (I don't know if this is true elsewhere), they have a Blue-ray DVD player display. When I look at it, it almost looks fake. I've had HD for quite some time and the shows don't look the same. The shows look like they've been touched up through some means. Lost on the display looks nothing like what the show looks like through the HD broadcasts.

Has anyone else noticed this or can attest to this being done intentionally?

What you see are not touched up screens or footage. They are most likely 120hz displays that look different then regular HDTVs. That "3d" feeling you get while watching comes from those new TVs. It's a TV feature. It looks the same with either Blu-Ray or HD DVD. No difference, it's just that you saw Blu-Ray endcap with it. Probably Samsung right? They are pushing 120hz displays.

Over-the-air broadcasts are not, which is what I was comparing it to.

over the air broadcasts are, at least for our system, its mpeg2. I think your atsc system is mpeg2 and mpeg 4

You can't compare HD television broadcasts to Blu Ray or HD DVD. Cable companies compress the signal so much that the quality takes a huge hit.

Tell me about it, I can only wait for cable to drop the analog signal in order to have more bandwidth space for numeric/HDTV channels. Here with Videotron/Illico, only Discovery HD look stunning (and you do have to pay more to get it). The rest is "okay", better than normal SD channel but only for the fact that they show widescreen content that fill my TV. Radio-Canada HD is probably the second best channel, but that's about it.

Most content is 720p or EVEN 480p upscaled to 1080i and very compressed.

We're I wish TV regulators would get a backbone and enforce certain technical standards. They squash so many channels here into such a small amount of space you end up with channels that look like legobricks.

I'm worried they will do the same when HD broadcasts take off here. The BBC has already experimented with lowering the bitrate on BBCHD on satellite. I really hope it doesn't end up like it is in the US with HD channels that although they broadcast in 1080i, look pants anyway.

So ya, tis why I love BD :p

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Nat..._(UPDATED)/1417

National Geographic Makes Move to Blu-ray Exclusivity

UPDATE: (12:25pm ET, January 30, 2008) Please note that this move to Blu-ray exclusivity covers films released under the "National Geographic Presents" shingle only. Films co-produced by National Geographic but distributed by other companies will (such as Paramount's 'Artic Tale') will be unaffected.

Warner's move to Blu-ray exclusivity has swayed yet another distribution partner to follow suit, with National Geographic confirming that it too will drop HD DVD support in favor of Blu-ray.

Distributed under the Warner umbrella along with New Line Home Entertainment, HBO Home Video and BBC Home Video, National Geographic had been format-neutral, releasing only one title thus far, 'Relentless Enemies,' on both Blu-ray and HD DVD.

Although the company says it has no plans to issue an official statement or press release, a spokesperson confirmed for us that moving forward, National Geographic will no longer release titles in the HD DVD format.

The move will go into effect with the company's upcoming release, 'Sharkwater,' which will hit Blu-ray only in April (an official announcement for the title with full details is expected shortly.)

National Geographic's decision comes in the wake of moves by Warner subsidiaries New Line and HBO to shift to Blu-ray exclusivity. BBC is now the only Warner-distributed company to remain format-neutral.

Makes sense that BBC would stay neutral for now. Their biggest hi-def release is Planet Earth, which appears to be the only HD-DVD outside of Transformers and 300 to still have some legs. Hell, I think it's the only major neutral release to outsell on HD-DVD.

Makes sense that BBC would stay neutral for now. Their biggest hi-def release is Planet Earth, which appears to be the only HD-DVD outside of Transformers and 300 to still have some legs. Hell, I think it's the only major neutral release to outsell on HD-DVD.

yeah, and for several days now, as far as I have been checking, the blu-ray version of planet earth has been outselling the hd-dvd version.

blu-ray version:30

hd-dvd version:75

while hd-dvd players on amazon might be spanking blu-ray players, the software has a complete different story to tell.

yeah, and for several days now, as far as I have been checking, the blu-ray version of planet earth has been outselling the hd-dvd version.

while hd-dvd players on amazon might be spanking blu-ray players, the software has a complete different story to tell.

Has anyone ever checked PS3 sales on Amazon?

We know it is what has sold most for Blu Ray players, so HD-DVD standalone may be outselling Blu Ray standalone, but the PS3 could be outselling the lot!

Well, outselling for a few days on Amazon != being outsold for a year in most every market. Just ask every other HD-DVD title out there ;)

BTW - 82-18 last week. That's three weeks in a row at least 80/20.