[official] Blu-ray Confirmed News

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/War...-ray_Slate/1439

Warner Previews 2008/2009 Blu-ray Slate

Warner Previews 2008/2009 Blu-ray Slate

Wed Feb 06, 2008 at 03:00 PM ET

Tags: Disc Announcements, Warner (all tags)

Warner Bros. has unveiled plans to celebrate its 85th birthday in grand style, promising Blu-ray release of such beloved titles as 'Gone with the Wind,' 'The Wizard of Oz' and films from the Batman and Dirty Harry series.

Revealed by top studio execs at a media event held last night on the Warner lot, the studio says it will honor its 85-year legacy with an extensive slate of DVD and Blu-ray releases of major theatrical and catalog titles throughout 2008 and early 2009.

Many titles mentioned have already been hinted at in previous public statements, including films from the Batman and Dirty Harry franchises, the upcoming theatrical hits 'The Dark Knight,' 'Speed Racer' and 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,' as well as the first high-def release from Warner's new direct-to-video premiere label Raw Feed, 'Otis: Uncut.'

The studio went on to say that several of its most beloved classics will go into temporary moratorium on standard DVD in 2008 in anticipation of a series of lavish re-issues on both DVD and Blu-ray in 2009, including 'Gone with the Wind,' 'The Wizard of Oz' and 'North by Northwest.'

The list of titles previewed at last night's event are as follows (note that the studio stressed that this is not a complete list of planned Blu-ray releases, simply the highlights):

Q2 2008: 'Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collection' (includes 'Dirty Harry,' 'Magnum Force,' 'The Enforcer,' 'Sudden Impact,' 'The Dead Pool' and bonus disc "Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows')

Q3 2008: 'Batman Anthology' (includes 'Batman,' 'Batman Returns,' 'Batman Forever,' 'Batman & Robin,' 'Batman Begins'), 'Batman Begins'

Q4 2008: 'Otis: Uncut'

2009: 'Gone with the Wind,' 'North By Northwest,' 'The Wizard of Oz,' 'Woodstock'

2008/2009 Theatrical Releases: '10,000 B.C.,' 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,' 'The Dark Knight,' 'Get Smart,' 'Speed Racer'' and 'Where the Wild Things Are.'

Warner has not released specific street dates or technical specs, but full announcements are expected over the coming months as the studio rolls out its complete 2008/2009 line-up.

Needless to say, we'll keep you posted!

In the meantime, we'll be adding all of the above titles to the "Release Dates Pending" section of our Blu-ray Release Schedule. Stay tuned!

Twister, coming in May.... I remember that movie being a HUGE benchmark for DVD at the time and for Dolby-Digital 5.1 Surround. Man that movies is so good.

Twister, coming in May.... I remember that movie being a HUGE benchmark for DVD at the time and for Dolby-Digital 5.1 Surround. Man that movies is so good.

I think it is also the last or next to last movie Warner is putting out on HD-DVD as well.

just a spike because of so many fire sales

With Amazon.com selling HD-DVD movies for $15... I was just thinking about "fire sales", lets get that stock out as soon as possible...

Even with HD-DVD player going down in price (at least, from Toshiba, since the Venturier is STILL $199 at Walmart !!!), my local FutureShop and Best-Buy don't seem to sell that much... I've talked with salesReps and they are stuck with them.... People preferring to buy the $399 Samsung Blu-Ray player or... the PS3.

• 2 weeks later...
With Amazon.com selling HD-DVD movies for $15... I was just thinking about "fire sales", lets get that stock out as soon as possible...

Even with HD-DVD player going down in price (at least, from Toshiba, since the Venturier is STILL $199 at Walmart !!!), my local FutureShop and Best-Buy don't seem to sell that much... I've talked with salesReps and they are stuck with them.... People preferring to buy the $399 Samsung Blu-Ray player or... the PS3.

Probably for reasons I've gave in other topics.

Even if prices are tempting, the format is 100% dead.

You will have to keep the same player you have for years to continue using your movies, it dies in 2 years, no HD DVD player to replace it. Not to mention you can't really take your HD DVD movies anywhere with you unless you lug your player with you, or go to a friends who has an HD DVD player.

I play DVDs I bought yeaaars ago from time to time still, especially if they are classics - These DVDs have been played in numerous DVD players over the years, in my house, and in my friends houses... you won't have that flexibility if you now invest in a dead format.

That is why I can see people not wanting to buy into it, even with reduced prices.

Probably for reasons I've gave in other topics.

Even if prices are tempting, the format is 100% dead.

You will have to keep the same player you have for years to continue using your movies, it dies in 2 years, no HD DVD player to replace it. Not to mention you can't really take your HD DVD movies anywhere with you unless you lug your player with you, or go to a friends who has an HD DVD player.

I play DVDs I bought yeaaars ago from time to time still, especially if they are classics - These DVDs have been played in numerous DVD players over the years, in my house, and in my friends houses... you won't have that flexibility if you now invest in a dead format.

That is why I can see people not wanting to buy into it, even with reduced prices.

Unless the prices are below 99$. Then the average person who does not know HD DVD is dead will buy the box and sales might just pick up!

Unless the prices are below 99$. Then the average person who does not know HD DVD is dead will buy the box and sales might just pick up!

This "average" person sure didn't buy much HD DVD stuff over the last 2 years.

Stock for HD DVD is dropping, and shops are promoting Blu Ray. It's going to be even more obvious HD DVD is not the format to back now than it was 3 months ago.