Windows Vista successor scheduled for a H2 2009 release?

Hopefully, Windows 7 will not have any drastic changes to the UI and will instead focus on consuming fewer resources, more consistency (see the Battery and Previous Versions icons in Vista), and lots of minor features (tabs in Windows Explorer, DVD Maker improvements, image burning support, built-in antivirus scanning, etc.).

Even if those mockups are real... that is just :sleep: . That is just a quicklaunch gadget, nothing more. After this "Vista is just a skinned XP" hype, they have to make something different. And I mean redesign the whole gui, change the whole experience of the OS. There should be .NET 3.5 all over the place, with animations, unusual skins, overlappabble (with per opacity) controls, i can even imagine bundling it with a small LCD panel for a SideShow 2.0 effect. Also the sidebar have to be redesigned: it is too big, way too much space wasted there.

If they won't do the "wow" with Vienna, there won't be many Vista->Vienna switcher, not even XP->Vienna switchers.

So in summary, i hope they manage to make the change. Under the hood changes are nice, but it won't make their software sell. Remember Vista.

Seems too soon, it's only giving Vista a year or two to mature.

Maybe they'll pull it off though, who knows.

Judging by Gates' response in the Gizmodo interview it'd seem pretty clear they want to put Vista behind as quickly as possible.

Hopefully, Windows 7 will not have any drastic changes to the UI and will instead focus on consuming fewer resources, more consistency (see the Battery and Previous Versions icons in Vista), and lots of minor features (tabs in Windows Explorer, DVD Maker improvements, image burning support, built-in antivirus scanning, etc.).

Microsoft will get sued if they include antivirus in Windows 7. There's really a limit to how advanced they can make any bundled app in the OS sadly, because competing software makers will see it as an attempt to destroy their market :angry:

I say no sooner than Q4'10, considering how long it took from XP>Vista, and ontop of that, It's too soon. It's like when apple dropped the prices on the iPhone, it would only serve to annoy me :p

I say no sooner than Q4'10, considering how long it took from XP>Vista, and ontop of that, It's too soon. It's like when apple dropped the prices on the iPhone, it would only serve to annoy me :p

XP-> Vista was the exception, not the rule.

And too soon? That'll make 3 years between the Vista and Seven release. That's what it should be.

Microsoft will get sued if they include antivirus in Windows 7. There's really a limit to how advanced they can make any bundled app in the OS sadly, because competing software makers will see it as an attempt to destroy their market :angry:

Then they should bundle as advanced an AV package as they want and then make it very, very easy to uninstall.

Users who don't understand the specifics of AV will have protection out-of-the-box, and AV makers will be placated that users who prefer their products can easily remove the Microsoft solution and install McAfee, NOD32, Norton, or whatever else they want (ClamAV for me, thanks).

As for when it will be released, it'll be out when it's out. Don't hold your breath, don't plan around it, just do what you have to do in the meantime and when 7 is released, give it some time to be vetted by early adopters and for the kinks to be ironed out. Look at XP and Vista - huge problems/complaints at the get-go, but in short order they became stable and usable with a lot of supporters singing their praises. Patience is a virtue.

Look at the down shots, the comments, it's only a prototype. Anyway, even if it was even real, there's no way that's even close to what the end build will look like.

I don't need to read the comments to know that Windows 7 is at alpha stage ;)

Hey mates. I want to thank anyone for the interest showed. They are just concepts made in Photoshop :D it's just my idea, maybe my dream, about the future UI of Windows Seven. See you soon, bye! :)

PS: excuse my bad English, I'm Italian ;)

It would make perfect sense for the new version to come that soon, considering what a huge failure Vista has been.

Now before the fanboys scream "TROLL!", there is not one business I know of switching to Vista, it would be like suicide. The reasons are too numerous to go into now, but it's just not happening. I work in an IT dept and we have been evaluating Vista and found it simply not fit for purpose.

Everyone else I know in a corporate IT environment is waiting until the next version of Vista to do fix what they messed up this time around. It's not trolling, it's the truth. Microsoft needs to get back into the corporate environment, and for that they need a new version.

there was only a year between WinME and WinXP, but you have to consider that work on XP started after Win2k was released and not when ME was released

Windows me was only released 7 months after win2k.

if they charge another arm and a leg for it then it'll be a failure no matter how good it is. They should at the very least provide a cheap upgrade option for Vista owners if they're going to release it that soon.

I want an overhaul of all legacy components: remove native support (registry, crazy dlls, etc.) for previous generation apps but allow them to be run using virtualization. That way, it'll be easier to build a componentized (sp?) OS and write programs which function correctly with non-adminstrative rights.