We don't NEED the Macbook air Apple!

I hope they do; learning from their mistakes counts as following. I'm not saying the MacBook Air will be a flop, but that the 2nd revision will be a lot better, and I'll probably end up getting the 3rd revision, should there be one.

I do think the MacBook Air is a great idea, but it will just end up being a G4 Cube... Something that appealed to only a very small niche in the market.

I do think the MacBook Air is a great idea, but it will just end up being a G4 Cube... Something that appealed to only a very small niche in the market.

I don't think it'll end up like the Cube. The Cube was a niche market, but... no one really knew what market. The Air has a market, and we all know what it is: people who want a smaller notebook. That market has been slowly growing, and this'll help it grow. At least, that's the way I see it.

We don't NEED you, dude!

(j/k)

Anyways, yeah, I think that over time they will totally fix their mistakes, if not them, another company that will attempt something ultra-thin like this.

yer, i dont see why your ****ed that Apple brought out a new ultra-thin laptop, do you not see that this is the begining, they have to start somewhere, this is only going to get better and better, in a year or so, im pretty sure ill be investing in one.

This is only going to push tech further, i think the concept is fantastic, ultra-portable, long battery life and incredibly durable due to its construction and SSD (no moving parts is ****en amazing)

yer, i dont see why your ****ed that Apple brought out a new ultra-thin laptop, do you not see that this is the begining, they have to start somewhere, this is only going to get better and better, in a year or so, im pretty sure ill be investing in one.

This is only going to push tech further, i think the concept is fantastic, ultra-portable, long battery life and incredibly durable due to its construction and SSD (no moving parts is ****en amazing)

A low capacity drive with no moving parts is not worth more than $3,000, however. Give it a few more years, we will have double the capacity for the same price, if not more.

Except apparently, you can't fit a lot into a thin form factor. There's no Ethernet, no optical drive, no FireWire, no user serviceable parts, no standard DVI connector, etc. The MacBook is a great example of a fully featured compact notebook. The MacBook Air is an example of paying solely for size, willing to sacrifice functionality.

The tech industry has many leaders. I hope they don't follow Apple's lead with the MacBook Air.

I so agree...

We don't NEED you, dude!

(j/k)

Ok.....

And since when being smaller is better than bigger :p

Come to my arms!

John Markoff:

Still, the machine is a reversal of field for Mr. Jobs, who in the past has insisted that less-than-full-featured laptops are undesirable.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.

A low capacity drive with no moving parts is not worth more than $3,000, however. Give it a few more years, we will have double the capacity for the same price, if not more.

You do know the cost of SSD? its more expensive then a hard drive. while yes its too expensive, thats reflecting the cost of the SSD

Apple products are unique but their entire business model has some major flaws. They totally rely on the looks of the machines instead of what actually matters, the hardware inside. You can't even replace the battery yourself with this thing.

their enitre business model or the Air?

isnt it a sweeping statement that doesn't actually fit fully with reality?

The Mac Pro is fully featured.

The mac books and mac book pros seem fully featured, more so then some pc laptops less so then others.

The mac mini, fits what is supposed to do, has a few concesssions but not many

the xserve again fits and is properly featured for its market

the imac lacks upgradability but then so do similar products other pc manufacturers - is there business model flawed?

The problem PC people have with Macs is that they always compare either home built systems or with cheap dell like laptops and not like for like

I like Mac OS X too...Damn Apple, Why couldn't you "port" it to a PC? :crazy:

Because then it will have all the driver issues and instability that is present in Windows.

Also, Apple will lose out majorly in hardware sales.

DING-DONG!

I'm not a big fan of laptops, I prefer desktop models. I like the look of the

new Mac Air. I plan of getting a laptop in the coming months, for getting

access to work and doing work from home ... Meaning seating by the

pool drinking a cold one .. :rolleyes:

The only issue I think people will have is the battery isn't removable. Also

the price could be a little lower too.

I've been reading up on the Asus EEE PC ... 701 laptop ... Most likely I'm

going to wait for the new version with a larger LCD and more disk space..

I'm not a big fan of laptops, I prefer desktop models. I like the look of the

new Mac Air. I plan of getting a laptop in the coming months, for getting

access to work and doing work from home ... Meaning seating by the

pool drinking a cold one .. :rolleyes:

The only issue I think people will have is the battery isn't removable. Also

the price could be a little lower too.

I've been reading up on the Asus EEE PC ... 701 laptop ... Most likely I'm

going to wait for the new version with a larger LCD and more disk space..

is the processor going to good enough?

increase SSD space and the price goes up

Does anyone else think the release of the "thinnest laptop" [Macbook air] in the world was necessary?

To you it may not seem so interesting but I got a bunch of marketing guys and people who travel all over the globe who are ready to sell their left kidney for a laptop that doesn't weight next to nothing but still has a large screen and an "easy to use" OS with?the necessary tools.

So this may come as a surprise but you != the rest of the world. Your needs are not the needs of everyone and there's plenty of people out there who the Air or Sony Vaio style laptops offer tangible benefits.

The problem PC people have with Macs is that they always compare either home built systems or with cheap dell like laptops and not like for like

But in reality Apple products are no different at all hardware wise. The only difference between a Mac and any other computer now is the OS. There is nothing better about them anymore other than their looks.

I'm not trying to bash Apple here...and I should point out that I do own many Apple products. But some people will buy anything with the Apple name on it only for that reason. They are not technically superior in any ways at all. if anything, the Air is a huge step backards. It will set a new standard for size, but too much has been sacraficed for that alone.

You do know the cost of SSD? its more expensive then a hard drive. while yes its too expensive, thats reflecting the cost of the SSD

Exactly. At this point, it's just plain dumb to spend more than $3,000 on only 64 GB of space. Wait a few years, I'm sure by the next revision (if there is one), we will have at least 128 GB, or even more. The good thing about the Air is that I think it will help to make SSD more affordable, as soon mass production will start among all the major manufacturers, driving down the cost. It happened with hard drives. Remember when 500 GB+ drives cost hundreds? Now you can get a 500 GB hard drive for under $150.

Okay, I've been salivating enough over this MacBook Air and have even posted a comment about wanting one very soon. But, I've been reading around and I'm now a little concerned about the Intel chip and keeping it cool. One site I visited is awaiting its own MacBook Air to put it under some serious testing but they used the feedback they received from Intel and Apple to formulate their own synopsis of the Air and it made me feel that waiting for a few months might be the better option instead of buying the latest from Apple.

The bigger concern however has nothing to do with packaging technology or operating voltages, but overall thermals. The MacBook Pro runs very hot and while the 20W TDP of the MacBook Air is significantly lower than the 35W TDP of the Pro, it's high for such a small chassis. We won't know for sure how hot the Air will get until it's in our hands but the SSD route seems like an even better bet now that we know a little more about what we're dealing with. Cutting down heat in that thin chassis will be very important, and moving to solid state storage is the only real option you have there.

According to sources this newly designed Intel chip wasn't supposed to be released until the end of 2008 but Apple designed and built the MacBook Air without an optical drive so that Intel could offer the chip to Apple for immediate deployment. This technology is obviously on the edge, beta if you so wish to call it so I'm biding my time until site and user reviews start to flood in. This issue may be hearsay and pre-conjecture but pre-spending what amounts to some people's monthly wage on an untested portable is just too risky in my case.

Edited by .kvn

I like Mac OS X too...Damn Apple, Why couldn't you "port" it to a PC? :crazy:

no need to port it. It already works on PC's they just lock it so that it only runs on their hardware. They know the only difference between a Mac and a PC is OSX :). So if they let everyone install it they would loose their hardware sales.

no need to port it. It already works on PC's they just lock it so that it only runs on their hardware. They know the only difference between a Mac and a PC is OSX :). So if they let everyone install it they would loose their hardware sales.

Apple would not lose hardware sales if they made OSX available to general pcs. Apple's OS is written for use with their hardware and by checking some sites that allow discussion of porting OSX to a general PC you would see the variety of incompatibility issues they encounter.

If you want OSX then buy Apple.

An annoyance I have with posters about the MacBook Air is that they post comments without even reading up on the specs. I'll give you two examples; the 'non-replaceable' battery and 'lack of ports' issues.

The battery is replaceable through Apple at a cost, Or if you're so inclined you can replace it yourself with a philips screwdriver with either an original Apple MacBook Air Battery (when they are made available) or a replacement through another manufacturer.

As for the lack of ports, well that's because Apple have designed the Air as a wireless portable but have included one USB port so that you can add on your USB dongle to add-in extra ports if needed. Simple.

Instead of complaining about this portable whilst measuring it up to normal desktop replacements, some of us need to realise that this is an ultra portable device. And its price is not a fault but merely a way for Apple to recuperate costs quickly from the user group that will ultimately but it.