PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

I read you can turn it back on after the install anyway, so no big deal.

Well you need the codec pack installed I mentioned in the first post!

Well, I gave that a try but it's still a no go. From the Google results I found, the author thinks it has to do with the mkv2vob.exe not being to execute the /tools/...exe's on Windows with the same error message. I posted a message in Linux forum, maybe someone familiar with Wine will know better.

When it double checks literally everything you do, it is crap. "Are you sure you want to delete this file?" Yes. "Are you really sure you want to delete this file?" Apply it to any basic user function and it gets annoying very fast.

Audioboxer - You know of a way to pull files off of the PS3 HDD without pulling it? I put some content on there but have since purchased an external drive for my PC and would like to relocate the files. I deleted the source content so I unfortunately cannot remux the files and call it done.

Audioboxer - You know of a way to pull files off of the PS3 HDD without pulling it? I put some content on there but have since purchased an external drive for my PC and would like to relocate the files. I deleted the source content so I unfortunately cannot remux the files and call it done.

Hmm I think we might have a problem here :/

The PS3 formats it's hard drive with a custom file format, so you can't just stick it in the PC.

I know if you use the backup feature, it backs up everything (videos included) on a thumb drive/portable drive.

But the thing is those would be running on FAT32, so I think when it backs up files bigger than 4GB, it might split them in chunks onto the drive?

I'm not sure, but to be honest I think you're chances are bleak - I'll scour the internet.

I could do it that way. It would be a pain, but I have a 2GB flash card I could get all of the files (episodes) off of there. The others I could remux.

When the audio gets converted from DTS to AC3, is there a loss in quality? Is there a way to avoid that? I want my PS3 to be my home media center, but not if I have to stream subpar audio through my expensive speaker setup.

When the audio gets converted from DTS to AC3, is there a loss in quality? Is there a way to avoid that? I want my PS3 to be my home media center, but not if I have to stream subpar audio through my expensive speaker setup.

Minimal loss at best.

So no, not really. It's still true 5.1 Dolby Digital AC3.

• 2 weeks later...

I might add that the new GOTSent 0.24 beta have added wmv function so now it should be possible to convert even them for the PS3, i'm trying right now, (can even make BD) but it seems that the 5.1 sound is going lost but its better than the 5.1 WMA Pro on the original file which the PS3 would not play

• 2 weeks later...
So can we play MKV files directly on the PS3 yet? Or do we have to spend hours converting them first?

Nope. Hours converting? Using MKVtoVOB takes minutes on my PC.

I'm on a 1.7ghz Celeron with 256mb of RAM... :p

That is foolish even trying.

Also, I figured out how to convert the x264 MP4 files that I had. I downloaded MKVmerge GUI (mkvtoolnix) and opened the files up with that. You may need it for some MKV files that have unsupported audio codecs as well (such as Vorbis). Open up the files, uncheck what you don't need, remux. In my case, I opened the MP4 files and simply remuxed them as MKV files. Ran them through MKV2VOB and got zero quality loss. The audio profile needed to be lowered and it worked fine once it was an MKV file (it wouldn't run an mp4 file).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i've just converted 2 halves of an mkv video, but I need to stitch them together, any ideas? I tried mpeg joiner but it just doesn't wanna know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Whatchu got a Quad Octo-Core Pentium MMX Celeron?

:rofl: LOL didn't cha know, thats intel's next proc. due out q3 2009. LOL

nice guide though... very useful!