PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

Greetings, first of all i want to thank you for the amazing work you did on this program(3r1c too ofcourse)

although it had been fixed a few updates ago I somehow keep getting the "insufficient disk space" problem :<

i have 20gig free space on temp and output folders.. the problem occurs right after the program finishes to extract the mkv

any idea how i can fix it?

mkv2vob needs a avchd output option (or someone needs to make a simple mkv2avchd converter). the benefits of avchd are multiple audio tracks, multiple subtitle tracks, compatible with other bd players as well

Greetings, first of all i want to thank you for the amazing work you did on this program(3r1c too ofcourse)

although it had been fixed a few updates ago I somehow keep getting the "insufficient disk space" problem :<

i have 20gig free space on temp and output folders.. the problem occurs right after the program finishes to extract the mkv

any idea how i can fix it?

The problem is being investigated by 3r1c.

It has something to do with what your regional settings are at under Windows.

I'm assuming you have it setup for something other than english UK/American?

Have you put a tick in the boost volume box (config tab)?

Yup. I've tried loading the resulting .avi file into VirtualDubMod with the intention of ripping the stream and boosting it with mp3gain but it doesn't recognise it.

The volume is very low when played on PC and PS3.

Yup. I've tried loading the resulting .avi file into VirtualDubMod with the intention of ripping the stream and boosting it with mp3gain but it doesn't recognise it.

The volume is very low when played on PC and PS3.

AVI?

Are you muxing to the AVI container?

Best to stick to the MPG container in the config setup. Not that it will help sound, I don't think it will, but .MPG is the most compatible container to use universally.

Worth ago anyway, I don't know if .AVI supports AC3 5.1, so your audio issues could be to do with muxing to AVI.

Is your source an MKV file?

AVI?

Are you muxing to the AVI container?

Best to stick to the MPG container in the config setup. Not that it will help sound, I don't think it will, but .MPG is the most compatible container to use universally.

Worth ago anyway, I don't know if .AVI supports AC3 5.1, so your audio issues could be to do with muxing to AVI.

Is your source an MKV file?

Yeah it's an MKV file. I'll try muxing to mpg container - I had no problems with the last one I did with mpg so maybe I shouldn't experiemnt ;)

By the way, how do I view mkv in WMP 11?

Yeah it's an MKV file. I'll try muxing to mpg container - I had no problems with the last one I did with mpg so maybe I shouldn't experiemnt ;)

By the way, how do I view mkv in WMP 11?

Install CCCP.

WMP doesn't like the MKV extension though, however it does play MPG.

After remuxing, you can actually delete the MKV file and just keep the MPG file MKV2VOB produces.

That's why 3r1c recommends you mux to MPG, not only is it best for the PS3, but it's compatible on PCs.

This is weird.

I've remuxed an mkv file to be compatible with playing on my PS3 but the only sound that plays are sound effects - no voice can be heard.

This has happened to all the mkv's I've converted...I thought they were working because I heard the intro music etc but when I've let them play for a bit, I realise no voice/speaking actually can be heard.

Install CCCP.

WMP doesn't like the MKV extension though, however it does play MPG.

After remuxing, you can actually delete the MKV file and just keep the MPG file MKV2VOB produces.

That's why 3r1c recommends you mux to MPG, not only is it best for the PS3, but it's compatible on PCs.

I've been transcoding/muxing to vob.

Which is best? Vob, or MPG?

I've been transcoding/muxing to vob.

Which is best? Vob, or MPG?

Go with MPG - Won't make a difference with 99.9% of files playing back on the PS3, but on the PC MPG files play a lot easier than VOB files do.

Newest versions of MKV2VOB default to MPG.

This is weird.

I've remuxed an mkv file to be compatible with playing on my PS3 but the only sound that plays are sound effects - no voice can be heard.

This has happened to all the mkv's I've converted...I thought they were working because I heard the intro music etc but when I've let them play for a bit, I realise no voice/speaking actually can be heard.

What version of MKV2VOB?

I'll ask 3r1c to investigate. Was it working prior to "now" or have you only just started using MKV2VOB?

What version of MKV2VOB?

I'll ask 3r1c to investigate. Was it working prior to "now" or have you only just started using MKV2VOB?

The latest version - 2.2.3

I've only converted 3 files with this software and it has affected all of them.

I had the same error as WastedJoker at first. Then I installed CCCP figuring that a version of my software wasn't up to date or it simply wasn't there. Fixed the issue.

Is there a free way to convert .mov files as easily as this? I've tried a few applications but they're all shareware apps that watermark or do the first "x" seconds.

Hi,

Thanks for the excellent guide! (Y)

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a PS3 as a media server, and am a bit concerned with future compatibility - I'm surprised that there isn't greater support for different types of video files - do you think Sony will eventually add more codecs such as MKV natively? Do you think I should be put off, or are you confident support will continue to increase?

Anyway, I did a couple of test files using your techniques which worked brilliantly. I had a question about something in the guide:

Sets the video codec to use when transcoding. Xvid files will be split in 2GB segments as the PS3 requires - I recommend you leave this on x264 for best quality/compression.

Is this still the case, since with the latest firmware the size of Divx files are not limited in the PS3? It would seem a bit pointless for MKV2VOB to split them into 2GB segments now?

Second question is a little off-topic, but you seem to be very knowledgeable on PS3 matters - in Bluray playback, does the PS3 output native 24p? Also, does it support full multichannel audio for movies?

Lastly, what is the largest internal HDD that the PS3 supports, and with external FAT32 formatted drives is the max. partition size 32GB, in which case, can you have multiple 32GB partitions on a large external drive?

Cheers,

James :cool:

Hi,

Thanks for the excellent guide! (Y)

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a PS3 as a media server, and am a bit concerned with future compatibility - I'm surprised that there isn't greater support for different types of video files - do you think Sony will eventually add more codecs such as MKV natively? Do you think I should be put off, or are you confident support will continue to increase?

Anyway, I did a couple of test files using your techniques which worked brilliantly. I had a question about something in the guide:

Is this still the case, since with the latest firmware the size of Divx files are not limited in the PS3? It would seem a bit pointless for MKV2VOB to split them into 2GB segments now?

Second question is a little off-topic, but you seem to be very knowledgeable on PS3 matters - in Bluray playback, does the PS3 output native 24p? Also, does it support full multichannel audio for movies?

Lastly, what is the largest internal HDD that the PS3 supports, and with external FAT32 formatted drives is the max. partition size 32GB, in which case, can you have multiple 32GB partitions on a large external drive?

Cheers,

I don't split files via mkv2vob and they all work.

The PS3 does have the option for 24p on Blu Ray. So if the TV accepts it, you're good to go.

I've heard of people using 500GB internal drives with no problems. As for external drives, I've got 2 500GB FAT32's hooked up and any file less than 4GB works fine.

I don't split files via mkv2vob and they all work.

The PS3 does have the option for 24p on Blu Ray. So if the TV accepts it, you're good to go.

I've heard of people using 500GB internal drives with no problems. As for external drives, I've got 2 500GB FAT32's hooked up and any file less than 4GB works fine.

Thanks for that, most helpful.

Where's the option not to split the files in MKV2VOB?

I think I'll prob put a 500GB internal in and not deal with the FAT32 partition nonsense (honestly, these days FAT32's file size limits are archaic - what was Sony thinking? Any chance they could fix the disk format to something more modern with a Firmware fix?

24p support is good.

Anyone know about the PS3's multichannel audio capability for movies?

Cheers,

The guide is a little out of date, MKV2VOB doesn't spilt divx at 2GB anymore, as Sony upped the filesize limit :)

PS3 does support 24p, yes.

I'm not sure about audio questions, I've not got a decent sound system yet :(

PS3 will support any 2.5" internal drive, so whatever drives are at nowadays. As for external, it supports any sized fat32 drive as well.

The guide is a little out of date, MKV2VOB doesn't spilt divx at 2GB anymore, as Sony upped the filesize limit :)

PS3 does support 24p, yes.

I'm not sure about audio questions, I've not got a decent sound system yet :(

PS3 will support any 2.5" internal drive, so whatever drives are at nowadays. As for external, it supports any sized fat32 drive as well.

Thanks very much - keep the thread going, this is by far the best thread on this I've found and believe me I've been through a few before I made it here!

Cheers,

I'm having a similiar issue with converting mkv to vob/mpg containers and all the audio effects are loud but voice audio is very low and I have to adjust my TV's equalizer to get the dialogue to a level that I can hear. Maybe it has something to do with the way the original files are ripped to MKV?

Something is very wrong in the latest version of MKV2VOB - I constantly get "Status: BeSplit Crashed", I'm not splitting the movies or anything.