PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

matthewmarley

The PS3 will play a file larger than 4GB from PS3 HD , i have used mkv2vob to convert my MKV files to mpeg and just moved them to the PS3 drive using the Red Kawa File Server application .

+Audioboxer
Thanks for the feedback!

And also, which is better, using a VOB file with mkv2vob or muxing with tsmuxer? I know there's no drop in quality with a VOB, but is there a drop with tsmuxer and TS files (I don't believe there's a quality drop with this either, but I'm just checking to be safe :p)?

MKV2VOB uses TSmuxer :p

Use MKV2VOB for MKV files, it will ensure they will work on your PS3.

y2gray
MKV2VOB uses TSmuxer :p

Use MKV2VOB for MKV files, it will ensure they will work on your PS3.

Haha, thanks!

This is the guide I was using that is current as of March 26th, and supposedly it works everytime. It's probably doing the same thing as mkv2vob aside from the resulting file format being TS instead of VOB. I was mainly wondering if there was a quality drop in TS files (I would guess not since it's using the same program to do both just a different extension :p) :

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/ho...ation_3_ps3.cfm

+Audioboxer
Haha, thanks!

This is the guide I was using that is current as of March 26th, and supposedly it works everytime. It's probably doing the same thing as mkv2vob aside from the resulting file format being TS instead of VOB. I was mainly wondering if there was a quality drop in TS files (I would guess not since it's using the same program to do both just a different extension :p) :

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/ho...ation_3_ps3.cfm

Yeah that guide can work ok, but as you can see at the start it doesn't support DTS - MKV2VOB does.

That's why you should just use MKV2VOB, it'll pretty much churn out any MKV you throw at it, into a PS3 compatible file.

y2gray
Yeah that guide can work ok, but as you can see at the start it doesn't support DTS - MKV2VOB does.

That's why you should just use MKV2VOB, it'll pretty much churn out any MKV you throw at it, into a PS3 compatible file.

Awesome! What's weird is that VOB isn't on the PS3 website's list of compatible file type. But hey, if it works, who cares? :p

Now I have to go buy a new wired router because my old one decided to die on me :angry:

Oh, one more thing, is there a guide/tutorial for mkv2vob on this site, or can someone post a link to it? Thanks!

+Audioboxer
Awesome! What's weird is that VOB isn't on the PS3 website's list of compatible file type. But hey, if it works, who cares? :p

Now I have to go buy a new wired router because my old one decided to die on me :angry:

Oh, one more thing, is there a guide/tutorial for mkv2vob on this site, or can someone post a link to it? Thanks!

:blink:

LMAO.

I take it you didn't read page 1?

;)

I need to update it again, but you'll get the jist of things on page 1. MKV2VOB is actually fairly easy to use out of the install.

y2gray
:blink:

LMAO.

I take it you didn't read page 1?

;)

I need to update it again, but you'll get the jist of things on page 1. MKV2VOB is actually fairly easy to use out of the install.

Haha, I did read page 1 at maybe 1am last night, so I'm kind of out of it this morning to say the least :p

That's no excuse though, I'll give myself a swift kick in the ass! Hahaha

y2gray

One more quick question Audioboxer :D

I've been digging through this thread and you've mentioned you prefer the VOB file format when using mkv2vob, but the guide shows the file to convert to as MPEG. Is there much of a difference between the two and would you suggest using VOB over MPEG when picking the output format?

Also is there any/much of a size difference between the two output formats?

Thanks!

+Audioboxer
One more quick question Audioboxer :D

I've been digging through this thread and you've mentioned you prefer the VOB file format when using mkv2vob, but the guide shows the file to convert to as MPEG. Is there much of a difference between the two and would you suggest using VOB over MPEG when picking the output format?

Also is there any/much of a size difference between the two output formats?

Thanks!

The ability to change the container (VOB/MPG/AVI/MP4) in MKV2VOB only came in version 2.10.

From now on according to 3r1c (creator), output to .MPG.

It's just a container, makes no quality difference to your audio/video inside - All 3r1c has said is the .MPG container may offer more playback compatibility.

Now in my tests, the ONLY difference I've seen is .MPG, plays better on a PC, than .VOB does. VOB played on the PC, but WMP11 didn't like it.

Which works good for me, as what I've now done, is convert my MKVs in MKV2VOB, and actually deleted the MKVs themselves. Previously i'd convert the MKV to VOB, stream the VOB in TVersity to watch on PS3, then afterwards, delete the VOB keeping the MKV on the PC.

I only done that due to the sketchy playback of VOB on the PC. Now that MPG plays fine, I have no reason to keep my MKV files, and I can now watch any movie on my PS3, without converting MKV to VOB whenever I want to watch it.

Just remember you're NOT actually converting anything by typical standards. You're remuxing. Which means no matter what output you use, VOB/MPG/MP4 the video and audio quality remains the same, only the container changes.

That is unless you have to transcode, and only a very small % of 720p stuff has to transcode - The majority of 1080p stuff has to though.

+Audioboxer
Hmm... my 1080p copy of Transformers looks awful after transcoding... I couldn't get screenshots of the same frames, but you can still see how weird the encoded copy is:

The unencoded x264 version: http://www.troist.com/normal.png (This pic is not 56k friendly)

The mkv2vob encoded version: http://www.troist.com/encoded.jpg

Is this just a problem with the current 1080p playback? I used the x264 transcoding option. The outputted file was about a tenth of the size of the original copy.

i have found the bug with low quality x264 encoding, will be fixed in next version, probably tonight.

I think this might be the bug that causes your problem troist!

I take it you never got it fixed?

y2gray
I think this might be the bug that causes your problem troist!

I take it you never got it fixed?

Last question I promise ;)

Is there any particular reason this program makes a 4.37GB file 4.6 gigs after muxing?

If it's essentially changing the container why would it add 200 Megs? Only reason I ask is now movies won't fit on a DVD-R :(

+Audioboxer
V2.2.1 4/Apr/2008

Sorry in last version it was working fine then before uploading i updated tsmuxer to latest version which caused problems.

Fixed crash on .ts files (due to tsmuxer changed the format of the "stream info" line).

Downgraded tsmuxer to 1.6.3(b) due to bugs in latest version causing it to completely not work on some files.

V2.2.0 3/Apr/2008

Added multi-core transcoding support.

Added support for .TS as input file, will automatically join split .ts files in the format abc.0001.ts etc...

Added Hebrew subtitle support.

Added AAC 2 channel (stereo) support.

Fixed bug where rar set would not be deleted if you select the delete source option.

Fixed bug where some x264 transcoded files would be small filesize and very bad quality.

Updated tsmuxer to 1.7.2(b)

BIG update, especially the multi-core transcoding support - Will make things much faster!

Last question I promise ;)

Is there any particular reason this program makes a 4.37GB file 4.6 gigs after muxing?

If it's essentially changing the container why would it add 200 Megs? Only reason I ask is now movies won't fit on a DVD-R :(

I'm not sure why, they just sometimes are :(

Use the MKV2VOB DVD split option, what it does is split your file 4.37GB and then leave you with the small chunk that doesn't fit!

Benefits to that are sometimes all that's missing is the credits from the movie!

+Audioboxer
I wish someone would get this working on OS X.

Doubt it very much.

Reason being MKV2VOB isn't like one application that does everything, what it does is tie other windows based applications into one program and gives you a nice GUI to use.

For it to work on OSX all the applications used from within (I think there is 2/3, maybe 4) would need to be ported to OSX.

You're much more likely to see another application written from scratch that does all of this in OSX, than see MKV2VOB working!

Flash

Unsupported Audio Codec: MPEG/L3

Which codec pack should I use to fix that?

Cormier6083

Can't wait for a solid program for OS X that is free.

Malbojia
Can't wait for a solid program for OS X that is free.

Good Luck with that. The best I can do was shell scripts with mencoder and ffmpeg in OS X. If I knew code I'd probably whip up a UI for it. I just dont have the brain for understanding that type of stuff.

+Audioboxer

By the way, good news for those who use 1080p, and want to transcode with the x264 option (best option),

i have found the problem with x264 transcoding, if your source file bitrate is over 10mbps it will be encoded wrong, this will be fixed in next version.

Its too late for me to do it now so it will be tomorrow.

Expect an update later today :)

Unsupported Audio Codec: MPEG/L3

Which codec pack should I use to fix that?

Never seen that before.

I'd use the codec pack I recommend in post 1.

CCCP - http://www.cccp-project.net/

Flash

That's the codec pack I used, doesn't fix it :(

+Audioboxer
V2.2.2 8/Apr/2008

Fixed sometimes xvid output not playable on ps3.

Fixed low quality x264 transcoding if source bitrate > 10mbps.

Other minor fixes.

Updated tsmuxer to 1.7.3(b)

Cloud Constructors

Waiting for a Mac app

Fubar

hope the guy knows that DTS will be supported in the next firmware update on the 15th of this month so he can remove the dts remuxing side of it , should speed the remux's up a hell of alot :)

Huleboeren
hope the guy knows that DTS will be supported in the next firmware update on the 15th of this month so he can remove the dts remuxing side of it , should speed the remux's up a hell of alot :)

DTS has been supported since the launch of the PS3 - it just wont recognize it through the harddrive/xmb, only from DVDs/blurays

DTS-HD/MA however is a new thing

Deaf Spacker
DTS has been supported since the launch of the PS3 - it just wont recognize it through the harddrive/xmb, only from DVDs/blurays

DTS-HD/MA however is a new thing

So the new DTS support won't solve the problems some of us are having?

SCSI_2k
So the new DTS support won't solve the problems some of us are having?

No it won't.

• Andrew featured and unpinned this topic