PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

' timestamp='1307541357' post='594054228']

Yes, wireless works for me on simple 350mb avi files (tv episodes), sometimes 700mb avi movie files and always works on 720p tv episodes

1.23.0-SB29:

* Synchronised with official r614 from r601, (changelog)

* Added overscan compensation options for MEncoder (#984)

* Fix #485 with patch from [link] (thanks, spots)

* Code cleanup

http://www.spirton.com/

Thanks both of you. (Y)

Thanks both of you. (Y)

DL - I def had issues with streaming over wifi - was only 75ft or so from laptop (could have been crappy network card) to router. Regular dvd rips played fine (def couldnt rewind or ff)... got 720p videos rarely to work at a normal level. Hoping you have better luck that I did....

DL - I def had issues with streaming over wifi - was only 75ft or so from laptop (could have been crappy network card) to router. Regular dvd rips played fine (def couldnt rewind or ff)... got 720p videos rarely to work at a normal level. Hoping you have better luck that I did....

Nope, no luck. Gigabit wired network and cannot stream 720p with a wireless connection to the PS3. So I just purchased a 100 ft Cat 6 cable for $10 off Amazon, going to just run it manually for now the nights I need the streaming and wire it permanently in the near future.

1.25.2-SB30:

* Synchronised with official r653 from r614 (Click here for changelog)

* Updated MediaInfo to 0.7.45 from 0.7.44 (Click here for changelog)

Thanks as always. (Y)

Nope, no luck. Gigabit wired network and cannot stream 720p with a wireless connection to the PS3. So I just purchased a 100 ft Cat 6 cable for $10 off Amazon, going to just run it manually for now the nights I need the streaming and wire it permanently in the near future.

Thanks as always. (Y)

That sux.. was hoping yours was going to work based on your setup was a little different than mine. I wonder if wireless N would have been able to handle that bandwidth (although I dont think the ps3 has wireless N).

1.25.2-SB30:

* Synchronised with official r653 from r614 (Click here for changelog)

* Updated MediaInfo to 0.7.45 from 0.7.44 (Click here for changelog)

It's crazy how "complete" I thought this app was a year or so ago, so many changes and updates to things for compatibility/efficiency and bug fixes in the past few months.

larry, i can stream 1080p with the wireless N setup I have in my home. I use PS3Media server to do it, but not to my ps3 (i have terrible lag with this program with ff/rew even when it's wired). you should be okay as long as you have a decent N router.

larry, i can stream 1080p with the wireless N setup I have in my home. I use PS3Media server to do it, but not to my ps3 (i have terrible lag with this program with ff/rew even when it's wired). you should be okay as long as you have a decent N router.

Well 2 things, I never had any issues with PS3 Media Server, I can do everything through it plus DTS sound, so it is why I purchased a second PS3, so not using the PS3 is not really an option, and I do not nor really cannot have a Wireless N router unfortunately, my router is supplied through Verizon themselves, they use a proprietary router for their FIOS service, so that is what it is really.

I already set it up wired too, ran a Cat 6 Cable from my office to my bedroom, so everything is all sorted out, but thanks for the response.

I was having a look around to see if I could find a way to shutdown my PC from the PS3, and bingo! Seems this plugin has existed for a while.

Download and save into your PS3MediaServer plugin folder.

It allows you to shutdown, restart and log off your PC from the PS3. Tested it myself and works fine.

I was having a look around to see if I could find a way to shutdown my PC from the PS3, and bingo! Seems this plugin has existed for a while.

Download and save into your PS3MediaServer plugin folder.

It allows you to shutdown, restart and log off your PC from the PS3. Tested it myself and works fine.

Nice. I will definitely check this out. :yes:

Nice. I will definitely check this out. :yes:

Did you manage to give it a go? I assume it's just a simple java command that works across all PCs/Operating Systems, I don't see there being compatibility issues but who knows.

1.30.0-SB32:

Synchronised with official r693 from r692 (Click here for changelog)

Applied patches from here

Fixed internal VOBsub error introduced in SB31

1.30.0-SB31:

Synchronised with official r692 from r653 (Click here for changelog)

Did you manage to give it a go? I assume it's just a simple java command that works across all PCs/Operating Systems, I don't see there being compatibility issues but who knows.

Totally forgot about this, will check it out sometime soon.

Thanks for the heads up. (Y)

Do you guys update often? I only ask because everything seems to work "perfect" for me. Can stream 720p/1080p mkv files with DTS with no issues, I see updates are coming more often and wonder if its worth it for what looks to be minor fixes in the change log. Thanks!

Do you guys update often? I only ask because everything seems to work "perfect" for me. Can stream 720p/1080p mkv files with DTS with no issues, I see updates are coming more often and wonder if its worth it for what looks to be minor fixes in the change log. Thanks!

I do, but I pretty much install the 3-4 latest versions in a separate folder just in case something breaks with the latest versions. So on my desktop I create Shortcuts with the name of the version after it. Honestly have never really had a version break anything, and I also cannot really say I ever noticed any difference in performance really, so not really necessary to update with every release.

I do, but I pretty much install the 3-4 latest versions in a separate folder just in case something breaks with the latest versions. So on my desktop I create Shortcuts with the name of the version after it. Honestly have never really had a version break anything, and I also cannot really say I ever noticed any difference in performance really, so not really necessary to update with every release.

Yea... thats what i was looking for. I love to have the most up to date version but if there is nothing to gain by doing so then why bother? I also dont remember how I set the DTS thing so I dont want to risk having my settings reset (which I believe does happen)

Does anyone else have an issue where new content doesn't seem to show up in the shared folders?

The PS3 seems to cache the folder contents and it's a HUGE PITA to get it to recognize anything new.

Any ideas?

Yea... thats what i was looking for. I love to have the most up to date version but if there is nothing to gain by doing so then why bother? I also dont remember how I set the DTS thing so I dont want to risk having my settings reset (which I believe does happen)

With the settings, backup your latest ones. You can check where the settings are for each version in the Traces log. It is like line 14 or 15. It will give the path to a folder location with 2 files I believe.

Once you install a new version, immediately check the Traces log, and see if the path has changed for the settings. The last couple of versions have been the same location, so they all refer the same settings for me, so I keep my DTS settings, etc. intact.

Does anyone else have an issue where new content doesn't seem to show up in the shared folders?

The PS3 seems to cache the folder contents and it's a HUGE PITA to get it to recognize anything new.

Any ideas?

Cannot say I have ever experienced this issue at all. That would drive me nuts for sure.

I can put a movie in a folder as the app is running, just back out of the folder on the PS3, and go into the folder and the new movie will be there. It literally works in real time for me?

A lot of the recent changes are to do with far superior subtitle support, although there has been quite a few updates to mencoder/FFMPEG, which can always be useful when transcoding.

A lot of the recent changes are to do with far superior subtitle support, although there has been quite a few updates to mencoder/FFMPEG, which can always be useful when transcoding.

So since the topic is of subtitles, something I still do not fully understand...

Do MKV's generally have subtitles built into them?

For whatever reason I have been watching a lot of foreign films lately, I also actually watched a Scottish film called NEDS and needed subtitles for it as their accent was just way to damn thick LOL and the only way I usually do subtitles is to have it autoload a sub file of the same file name. Every other option just seems hit or miss. So what am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
1.31.0-SB34:

* Synchronised with official r732 from r696, changelog: https://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/source/list?num=36&start=732

* Started using the SubJunk Build of MEncoder for everything except ASS/SSA subtitle support

* Cleaned up MEncoder input string

* Updated MediaInfo to 0.7.46 from 0.7.45, changelog: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/Log

Link - http://www.spirton.com/uploads/PMS/pms-setup-windows-1.31.0-SB34.exe

So since the topic is of subtitles, something I still do not fully understand...

Do MKV's generally have subtitles built into them?

For whatever reason I have been watching a lot of foreign films lately, I also actually watched a Scottish film called NEDS and needed subtitles for it as their accent was just way to damn thick LOL and the only way I usually do subtitles is to have it autoload a sub file of the same file name. Every other option just seems hit or miss. So what am I doing wrong?

It depends on the movie and how it is coded. If it is "hard coded" then the subtitles normally can not be disabled, but "soft coded" can. Depending on "where" you get the movies, it should say.

Most of the anime I get is all hardcoded. If you really want to know if there are subs though, instead of just clicking on the file itself, you should have a folder named #Transcoded ( or something along that line ). Open it up, and then open the folder that your movie name is labeled. For anime, I normally have to choose the ASS/SSA undetermined, and it puts up english subtitles just perfectly. There will be other subtitles listed for other languages, as well as the other ways for your stream to be processed if it isn't working with the normal method. Very handy for certain movies.

I recently just had the ps3media server do a auto update... when did they put that function in? I opened it up, it said a newer version was available, and boom, got it. I haven't had any issues with it though before or after the update, and in fact, it has only gotten better. I no longer have issues with any 1080p movie I stream. Now, if only there is a way to get around cinevia and the muted audio after 20 mins on certain flicks... :whistle: lol