PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

I've been having audio out of sync issues with PMS. It's driving me crazy. Anyone figured something out that worked? mostly on MKVs, and I've tried so many things posted on the interweb.

Try adding this under Expert settings for Mencoder

container == matroska :: -mc 0 -noskip

Changes since 1.2.0:

• General:
    • Improved video buffer stability
    • The default versions of UMS.conf and WEB.conf are now put in ProgramData on Windows (thanks to vulcan for reporting this bug)
    • Updated UMS.conf
    • Updated renderer.conf creation instructions
    • Fixed AviSynth/FFmpeg crash
    • Improved AviSynth/FFmpeg engine code
    • Enabled convertfps by default
    • Made the AviSynth script instructions separate to the input box
    • Minor design improvements to the Transcoding tab
    • Made True Motion smoother
    • Assorted bugfixes

[*]Languages:

• Updated Catalan
    • Updated English

http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Changes since 1.2.1:

• General:
    • Enabled FFmpeg video player for all platforms
    • Updated FFmpeg for Windows to e01f478 (20120319)
    • Updated 32-bit MediaInfo to the 20120611 development snapshot which fixes a bug with detecting the duration of some avi files
    • Improved FFmpeg commands
    • Added support for PGS (Blu-ray) subtitles
    • Added support for VobSub (DVD) subtitles in MP4 container
    • Better handling of embedded SSA/SSA subtitle styling
    • Fixed audio track selection for MP4 and MOV containers
    • Localized audio and subtitle priority defaults
    • Added option on Traces tab to pack useful debug information into a zip file
    • Fixed 64-bit OS detection for Windows and OS X
    • Made program-closing more reliable
    • Fixed default settings

[*]Languages:

• Updated Catalan (thanks, aseques)
    • Improved English

http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Media Server v1.4.0

Windows / Linux / Mac (Mac version not released yet but the link is ready for when it is.)

General:

- Many improvements to FFmpeg, from audio sync to file-support to stability

- Updated MPlayer and MEncoder for Windows to SB36, which:

Supports a lot more file formats and colour-spaces

Improves audio/video sync, especially with PAL (25FPS) videos

- Added FFmpeg multithreading option

- Updated FFmpeg for OS X to 57d5a224

- Added a GUI config editor for those who like to edit manually

- Improved audio/video sync when using MEncoder

- Improved audio channel detection

- Fixed support for some plugins

- Added support for TX3G (MPEG-4 Timed Text) subtitles

- Added support for WebM videos downloaded from YouTube

- Fixed DV video detection

- Fixed "Definitely disable subtitles" option with ASS/SSA subtitles

- Fixed default audio/subtitle priority options

- Fixed running on headless servers

- Windows 7 and Vista users are reminded to run as administrator before attempting to automatically update

- Fixed multithreading bug with MEncoder on Linux

- Made layout more consistent

Plugin Installer:

- Added Plugin Installer which lets you automatically browse plugins and install them, see this page for details: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=152

Web:

- Added new default web video engine: FFMpeg Web Video

- Updated WEB.conf with working default video streams

- Added support for new web protocols: mmsh:// and mmst://

- Added The Onion to the default video feeds

Languages:

- Updated Simplified Chinese (thanks, lovenemesis!)

- Updated Czech (thanks, valib!)

- Updated English

- Added image for Hebrew subtitle choosing

Upgrade Notes:

It is recommended (but usually not necessary) to uninstall the older version before installing the new one.

If you would like to take advantage of improved default settings and new engines (recommended) you can delete your old configuration files before installing a new version. For Windows users they are in ProgramData/UMS/.

I have to try this 1.4.0 ASAP. 1.2.1 does not like the latest Java update at all I am guessing, as it runs like complete crap. Video stutters and jumps all over the place. I have actually never seen any build even of the original media server run this bad. For now I am back to SubJunk 58 until I get it running right.

I have to try this 1.4.0 ASAP. 1.2.1 does not like the latest Java update at all I am guessing, as it runs like complete crap. Video stutters and jumps all over the place. I have actually never seen any build even of the original media server run this bad. For now I am back to SubJunk 58 until I get it running right.

Java 7 update 5 is what I'm running and I've had no issues.

Personally I prefer Serviio to this. But hey, each to his own :)

Hmm, good app huh? Free as well? Does it also do DTS sound (that is what I like most about Media Server)

Java 7 update 5 is what I'm running and I've had no issues.

I just have whatever the latest is, Java tells me I have an update it, and I update it. :laugh:

Hmm, good app huh? Free as well? Does it also do DTS sound (that is what I like most about Media Server)

I just have whatever the latest is, Java tells me I have an update it, and I update it. :laugh:

You can check under programs and features within control panel.

You can check under programs and features within control panel.

Okay, I knew that, just needed a reminder. :blush:

So I think I very well just found my problem. Somehow I have 3 instances of Java installed?

Java 6 Update 16 (16 bit)

Java 6 Update 33

Java 7 Update 5,

The 7 Update 5 was most recently installed like 2 days ago, so I think that is why UMS went a bit bonkers.

So the million dollar question is do I uninstall those older versions? Or are they installed as a certain app relies on them??

So is universal media server just pms designed to work with more devices whereas pms focuses on the ps3?

Im loving my network now that my mediaserver is wired to the hts. 720p wasnt as issue over wireless but 1080p was not happening. Now its all good in the hood though! Except for mkvs that have compressed headers >.>

Okay, I knew that, just needed a reminder. :blush:

So I think I very well just found my problem. Somehow I have 3 instances of Java installed?

Java ? 6 Update 16 (16 bit)

Java? 6 Update 33

Java? 7 Update 5,

The 7 Update 5 was most recently installed like 2 days ago, so I think that is why UMS went a bit bonkers.

So the million dollar question is do I uninstall those older versions? Or are they installed as a certain app relies on them??

Uninstall all the versions except 7 build 5. I've had to remove older versions in the past. I think it's because when Java 7 came out it installed alongside 6 instead of replacing it.

So is universal media server just pms designed to work with more devices whereas pms focuses on the ps3?

Im loving my network now that my mediaserver is wired to the hts. 720p wasnt as issue over wireless but 1080p was not happening. Now its all good in the hood though! Except for mkvs that have compressed headers >.>

Not quite, UMS is the 'bleeding edge' version of PS3MS if you like, things hit it first, then if stable they'll make their way into PS3MS eventually.

The developer basically said he wanted to make the difference in builds clearer than just having (subjunk) added to the beta builds. A completely different branding for what are more his personal builds than representative of a stable PS3MS release.

Uninstall all the versions except 7 build 5. I've had to remove older versions in the past. I think it's because when Java 7 came out it installed alongside 6 instead of replacing it.

Not quite, UMS is the 'bleeding edge' version of PS3MS if you like, things hit it first, then if stable they'll make their way into PS3MS eventually.

The developer basically said he wanted to make the difference in builds clearer than just having (subjunk) added to the beta builds. A completely different branding for what are more his personal builds than representative of a stable PS3MS release.

Thanks for the explanation looks like I had it all wrong. I'll prob need to go look over the change logs and general features but it sounds like you have used it, does it have anything amazing that the pms is missing out on thus far?

Personally I prefer Serviio to this. But hey, each to his own :)

Always nice to find out about other media streaming programs. Incase one particular program goes all wonky then you have the option of a few others.

• 1 month later...

Universal Media Server v1.5.0: Windows / Mac / Linux

General:

- Made videos adhere more exactly to the maximum bandwidth limit

- Updated MPlayer/MEncoder to SB37, changelog

- Updated MediaInfo to 0.7.60, changelog

- Files are now sorted alphanuerically by default, e.g. Episode 2 before Episode 10

- #--TRANSCODE--# folder name is localized

- Cleaned up FFmpeg and MEncoder commands

- Use automatic enabling of multithreading with FFmpeg and FFmpeg/AviSynth engines

- Many improvements to UMS.conf and how it responds to updates, it is recommended to delete your old one

- Only use tsMuxeR to compensate for MEncoder ignoring audio delay when A/V sync alternative method is enabled (which it is by default)

- Fixed bugs in plugin installer

- Automatic encoding detection of non UTF-8 external subtitles for Russian, Greek, Hebrew, Chinese, Korean and Japanese languages (leave "Subtitles codepage" option blank)

- Improved handling of UTF-8 external subtitles

- Prevented image distortion on some DLNA clients with "Keep AC-3 track" option enabled

- Don't show entries for disabled engines in #--TRANSCODE--# folder

- Allow Traces tab panel to auto-scroll (thanks, LordQuackstar!)

- Replaced ImageMagick with Thumbnailator for thumbnail generation

- Fixed FFmpeg engine's handling of unsupported custom options (thanks, ajamess)

- Fixed FFmpeg command line arguments used by tsMuxeR video

- Fixed DNLA 2114 errors when scanning non-readable subfolders with "hide empty folders" enabled

- Linux tarball: fix "cannot find tsMuxeR" error

- Fixed numerous small bugs

Renderers:

- Added Sony SMP-N100

- Added Yamaha RX-A1010 (thanks, merelin)

- Deprecated misnamed TranscodeVideo profile MPEGAC3: use MPEGPSAC3 instead

- Documented and cleaned up TranscodeVideo and TranscodeAudio profiles

FFmpeg:

- Updated FFmpeg to a366bea (20120827)

- Follow the maximum bandwidth setting

- Mux AC3 instead of transcoding it

- Use better commands

MEncoder:

- Disabled AC-3 remux if audio track has delay, which improves audio sync

- Disabled DTS and LPCM remuxing if tsMuxeR engine is unavailable

Languages:

- Updated Bulgarian translation (thanks, JORDITO)

- Updated Dutch translation (thanks, leroy)

- Updated Russian

- Updated English settings labels

Upgrade Notes:

It is recommended to delete your UMS.conf file prior to installing this version. For Windows users it is in ProgramData/UMS/.

It is recommended (but usually not necessary) to uninstall the older version before installing the new one.

I tried PS3 media streamer and the likes but the best thing is to hook up a HDMI cable from PC to Receiver which decodes audio and sends video signal to TV. No need of worthless transcodes or bitrate hassle. Just make sure the media player on the PC supports bitstream/audio pass through like VLC or PotPlayer do.

A little convenience is lost as you are using mouse and keyboard to start the movie. But it's a worthy trade off.

That would be a good solution if your PC and Receiver are in close proximity. PS3 Media Server/Universal Media Server and similar programs are for the convenience of having your PC many rooms or floors away from the Receiver or other supported device and as long as the two are on the same network you can watch whatever on whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Media Server v1.5.1: Windows / Mac / Linux

(OS X build coming soon.)

General:

- FFmpeg and FFmpeg/AviSynth engines now use the "Video quality settings" from the "Common transcode settings" page

- Many improvements to the layout of settings

- Updated FFmpeg to 8bdba0b (20120914)

---- Updated MPlayer and MEncoder for Windows to SB38, which:

---- Enables more CPU optimisations (runs faster)

---- Improves audio sync

---- Tries to fix very occasional freezing issue

Languages:

- Updated all languages

Upgrade Notes:

For versions prior to 1.5.0:

It is recommended to delete your UMS.conf file prior to installing this version. For Windows users it is in ProgramData/UMS/.

For all versions:

• Like 1

General:

- FFmpeg and FFmpeg/AviSynth engines now use the "Video quality settings" from the "Common transcode settings" page

---- Improves audio sync

Languages:

- Updated all languages

Upgrade Notes:

For all versions:

Thanks!

General:

---- Improves audio sync

Languages:

- Updated all languages

Upgrade Notes:

For all versions:

Awesome, had enough of PS3 media server, too many issues. Going to give this a blast now!

Universal Media Server v1.5.2: Windows / Mac / Linux

This release is great for FFmpeg users, as it marks the first time the engine has been stable for everyday use. As it is now, it is much more reliable for audio sync than any of our other engines, so I really recommend using it for your non-subtitled videos (I do). It is also much faster than MEncoder.

Over the next few releases, we will be giving FFmpeg most of the current MEncoder functionality, with the eventual goal of using it as the default engine for most things.

General:

- Temporarily rolled back MPlayer/MEncoder to SB37, which fixes DVD support

- Updated FFmpeg to SB2, which fixes seeking bugs

Plugin Installer:

- Added Description column

- Added "run as administrator" reminder for Windows 7 and Vista users

- Installation progress window is centered

- Disabled manual row-editing

- Customised the column widths so all text is visible

Languages:

- Removed deprecated part of Russian translation

Upgrade Notes:

For all versions:

Universal Media Server v1.6.0: Windows / Mac / Linux

This release fixes the bug where the audio gets stretched after the episode recap on some videos, adds DTS support to the FFmpeg engine, adds support for UPC Horizon, and more (see changelog below)

General:

- MEncoder and tsMuxeR no longer produce stretched audio with some videos

- Improved handling of initialization errors

- Updated h2 database to 1.3.168 (thanks, valib!)

- Changed audio/subtitle defaults to accept anything

- We no longer display language options in the transcode folder for engines that don't accept them

- Renamed the FFmpeg/AviSynth engine to AviSynth/FFmpeg

- The AviSynth/FFmpeg engine works again

FFmpeg:

- Added DTS output support

- Video quality settings fixed

- Now respects the "remux AC-3" setting instead of always remuxing AC-3

Renderers:

- Added support for Samsung SMT-G7400 (UPC Horizon)

Languages:

- Made English language settings more accurate

- Updated Chinese Traditional translation (thanks, mcc!)

Upgrade Notes:

For all versions: