1. 1. Should it be included?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should we include these instead?

• AbiWord
    • Gnumeric
    • Keep OpenOffice
    • Include no office utilities

as a linux user who has migrated from windows, i still need to wine install MS office anyway (blasphemy i know but i really dont feel like reformatting lots of documents like my resume just for the sake of using openoffice...)

OpenOffice is completely compatible with all MS Office documents. No reformatting is needed.

OpenOffice is completely compatible with all MS Office documents. No reformatting is needed.

Agreed. It is common to have formatting/pagination issues when moving .doc files from one computer to another (different user margin/printer settings, etc).

I like .pdf for document fidelity, anyhow.

I like .pdf for document fidelity, anyhow.

But PDF is what I like to call a presentational document as opposed to a working document like a Word Document or LaTeX source. Shame that most Microsoft users don't get this and think that a Word Document is a presentational document :( (a side effect of WYSIWYG editing).

Even a LaTeX source can be different when compiled on different LaTeX distributions, but how often do you get document emailed to you as a LaTeX source?

Opening other peoples working documents isn't an issue for me. If I do get sent a Word document, I send it back! (with a message)

Alright, I'm sitting here, looking at an ISO for Shift 0.6 Gnome that is about 700MB. A lot of that is from OpenOffice. So I'm wondering, should we just get rid of OpenOffice?

Vote in the poll. We'll probably have a simple shortcut to install OpenOffice in the Office menu, which would run the apt-get command for you.

i agree we should have a simple shortcut to install openofiice in the office menu, which would run the apt-get command for you