I will not buy Windows 7 unless it has ... *Feature*

I'm not a real big fan on the fancy GUI. I've tried to downgrade back to XP on my laptop, but the hardware vendors didn't have compatible drivers. I have downgraded but it's very buggy. I say they make a OS like XP, beef up the security and some other things, make a new, less memory-hoggish GUI and I'd buy it at a reasonable price.

I'm not a real big fan on the fancy GUI. I've tried to downgrade back to XP on my laptop, but the hardware vendors didn't have compatible drivers. I have downgraded but it's very buggy. I say they make a OS like XP, beef up the security and some other things, make a new, less memory-hoggish GUI and I'd buy it at a reasonable price.

Actually, Aero should be using less memory than Luna as Aero is fully hardware accelerated, meaning the GPU does the work, not the CPU, as it did in XP.

the dmw (aero) service takes up regular RAM , not gpu RAM

and 20-40 MB of it

Actually, the DWM in Vista uses both system memory and GPU memory for the window surfaces. In Windows 7 (with a WDDM 1.1 driver), it only uses GPU memory.

What possible reason could you have to want WinFS? WinFS isn't a feature. It was a technology that didn't work and wasn't useful. We already have most of the features that were going to be powered by WinFS.

You don't want WinFS. You may think you do, but trust me, you don't.

The problem is that most people don't know what WinFS is. This thread is a fantastic example of that.

But it sounds cool, and everyone seems to think it's an amazing file system, so they jump on the band wagon. It's pretty funny to watch, actually, when you think about it.

Hey, look everybody! Libraries!

:devil:

Actually, the DWM in Vista uses both system memory and GPU memory for the window surfaces. In Windows 7 (with a WDDM 1.1 driver), it only uses GPU memory.

that perfectly explain who memory usage fall 50%

good to know

THX :)

• 1 month later...

-Bring back the old style address bar. I hate breadcrumbs.

Would you like breadcrumbs better if

1. Long foldernames didn't break the feature (you can't breadcrumb "up" if foldername is too long!)

vista_too_long_breadcrumbs_600.png

2. You could breadcrumb all the way up to the desktop (then we wouldnt' need the left column and get more out of our desktop relastate.)

vista_breadcrumb_to_the_desktop_600.png

And then if you compared that to a Mac it would be a piece of ****

The OS needs to evolve into new things

Everbody knows that :sleep:

I think that's great improvement right there. Even though 20-30Mb of RAM wasn't a lot...i think it's right to use GPU RAM instead of System.

I swear to god if windows 7 turns out like vista I'll go out and buy myself a mac.... seriously

:devil: :devil:

it cant be

unless the name it Vista Mark II :p

I swear to god if windows 7 turns out like vista I'll go out and buy myself a mac.... seriously

:devil: :devil:

Better start saving up, then. 7 IS Vista with lots of improvements.

I will not buy it unless it gives me almost 100 % performance out of my hardware. Unlike Vista which as compared to XP gives lower performance from my graphics card in games. And the same with the hard disk. While copying files, sometimes it seems like I'm using a very ancient low RPM HDD, where as I have 2 160 gb 7200 WD HDD with 8 mb cache each. So yea, we buy the hardware and we want to utilize it to the fullest extent please.

2x 160gig wd hdds with 8meg cache arnt exactly fast ive got 1x1tb with 16meg cache and 1x1tb 32meg cache and another 750gig with 16meg cache and those copy between eachother at about 70Mb/sec which isnt slow

[*]Wallpaper changer (I currently use Wallpaper Master, but I'd like to see something similar built-in)

Already in Windows 7

[*]An OS is meant to be secure, right? So how about bundling Windows Defender and Windows Live OneCare in Windows 7? That would increase the sales!

Defender is already in Windows Vista.

[*]Bundle Office into Windows 7 (or at least a minimal version)

Wordpad can read/write Word files. Wordpad in Windows 7 has Ribbon. There are free office viewers on microsoft.com.

[*]Include better games. You can only enjoy Minesweeper for so long. :D

Is Chess to hard for you?

[*]Keep all the Vista features, but give it performance like XP, or better.

Already in Windows 7

[*]Automatic defragmentation tool.

Already in Vista

[*]The ability to use custom themes right out of the box, without having to download a modified uxtheme.dll.

So you want malware to install their files as themes? Autoloaded non-signed dlls are bad.