Windows Vista SP1 Poll

Has Service Pack 1 changed your mind about Windows Vista?  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Has Service Pack 1 fixed many of your issues with Vista?

• Yes
    • No
    • Partially
  2. 2. Have you noticed a performance improvement?

• Yes
    • No
    • Partially
  3. 3. Do you think this will finally change people's opinions about Windows Vista?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Every Operating System has its place. I have 1 Ultimate, 1 Home Prem, 1 Basic, 1 XP Pro, 1 Server 2003 and a Kubuntu Box. Each one chosen for its task. I let Guests use the Kubuntu Box because it is locked down to almsot industructable, and they are clueless enough anyway that they dont dare try to mess with settings. The only thing more Dangerous then a Novice computer user is one that knows jsut enough to be to think they DO know something

Personally I'm thinking of moving over to Vista because eventually it will the OS just like XP is like rite now

yea there used to be a search button... they finally removed it!

I never understand why Microsoft deliberately remove features like this. The Search button was able to be toggled on and off through Start Menu Properties - why didn't they just leave it unticked by default? Instead they decide that we can't use it even if we want to and remove it all together.

The same applies to their decision to remove 'File Types' from Folder Options.

Why remove something that can be useful when it doesn't intefer with your workflow? I'll never know...

SP1 has been a placebo effect improvement for me.

but then again. i'm a fan of vista regardless. one thing i hope it DID fix, that i haven't got to est out yet, is my ability to successfully go into stand-by mode >:o

If you create new shortcut and type "search-ms:" into it (no quotes of course), it will create a shortcut that acts like the old search button did. You can then Pin the shortcut to the Start Menu and you're back in business.

if anything, sp1 has slowed my system down a little. :(

since installing sp1 rtm, i've lost a little speed writing files to my external usb2 drive. before hand, i was getting 23-25mb/s. now i barely get 15-16mb. i only backup once a week so it's not a huge issue for me. just a bit ******** that it's fixed file copying for loads of others, but has made mine worse. :p

I have another thread about how much Vista improved my x64 system performance and x86 didn't change a thing.

I think overall sp1 is positive and how Vista should have been since it released. But Zip/file copy and system behaviour still s@ck @$$

my 64 bit home premium is flying after installing SP1 final, file copying is a lot faster. it is generally much more responsive everywhere. my boot time is about 35 seconds now. No problems so far.

The difference between having SP1 and not having SP1 is huge on my hardware - everything is more responsive, applications load alot quicker an the OS boots and shutsdown faster too. Overall, i'm very pleased with SP1. :D

The operating system loads and runs much smoother on my Pentium M 2.0GHz laptop. The GUI is much more responsive and network transfers are much faster over the wireless. My gripe, is there a registry hack to add the "Search" back to the Start Menu? (removed in google lawsuit settlement)

still there for me in SP1... on mine at least everything is exactly the same as it was in RTM search related on the start menu

1. I didn't have any issues at all with Vista in the first place.

2. My system does seem to have a bit more "pep" to it. Nothing major though.

3. I don't think it will change anyone's mind. It's trendy to hate on Vista right now. As long as it's "cool" not to like it, the sheep will keep doing so.

I voted:

Partially

Yes

No

Reasons:

Part a)I really didn't have many problems to begin with, so there wasn't much to fix in my case.

Part b)Vista does feel faster now.

Part c)People like to bash Vista. They don't care whether it's good, or if it really is bad. SP1 won't change much for those people.

No (I didn't have any issues to fix. If anything things are slightly worse now that copying large files on the same volume takes longer than in Vista RTM)

No

No (See waruikoohii's reason above)

SP1 is great, although Vista was already great as it was.

The only noticeable change is that Superfetch now doesn't constantly grind away at my hard drive, even upon boot or exiting games. This is a good thing. Everything is still super snappy.

It gets my recommendation. :yes:

I just formatted last night and did a fresh install of Vista Business SP1. The difference in performance is minimal imo. Maybe it was because I already had all 110 hotfixes released so far installed. It's nice I guess to have it all in one package but not the speed demon I hoped for.

Didn't have any issues with Vista ever since it's launch. It's all been going great for me. As for SP1, I've noticed a few things load faster, and start up is much faster. That's about it though.

ok, i STILL cannot find a download link anywhere in microsoft. Everythign i find says no General Distro intill mid march. Can anyone give me a link??

I voted:

Partially, Partially, Not sure.

I installed SP1 - and file copying was a bit quicker. But other than that there were no noticable speed improvements. Apart from the file copy thing - the system feels and acts exactly the same!

I also tried a new installation with a SP1 CD on a test machine and found it was a bit quicker than a new install from the original RTM.

After doing a clean install with a slipstreamed Vista SP1 (no thanks to Microsoft), I am finding performance of Windows is super, far more responsive than Vista RTM + Patches. But... Copying files to and from my SanDisk 4GB Flash drive is just as slow as before. However file copies on network and hard disks is improved.