If Firefox 3 drops Vista look

Firefox 3 drops Vista look  

631 members have voted

1. 1. If Firefox 3 Drops the Vista Native 'Look' will you continue to use Firefox?

• Yes
    • No
    • Let's get this confirmed by Mozilla first

I think the problem is not that you could theme firefox. The problem is that Mozilla used the words nativily themed as one of the major features of Firefox 3. Now, it won't stop me from using firefox. But if you look at the great work they did for linux (at least gnome) and mac os x to make firefox look great on those platforms, you can understand how some folks may be disappointed the windows version will just get slightly different colored icons.

But it's using the native theme...

You'd drop all the amazing functionality, just because of the default skin? :blink:

FFScreenshot.jpg

This theme is called NASA Night Launch for those that might like to know ;)

P.S. Sorry for the poor quality of the screenshot, must find a better image host.

What a silly thing to "not" continue using Firefox for!

FF has more functuality for the regular web surfer than any other browser out, to name a few:

Better Gmail2

Adblock Plus

Stylish -for website content styling (removal of ad elements that cannot be removed by adblock for example)

IEView

FireFTP

It just does so much that it's simply not as productive moving to another browser "just" because it may not have Aero effects...

If your number one reason for using (or in this case not using) a app is because of the way it looks then you are simply a moron.

I use firefox because its fast has some great free plug ins like ad block and no script and also i like its simple layout unlike IE7's mish mash of random sized icons all over the place.

also as other people have said theirs a tone of free themes you can download :/

There's must be something about changing the look of firefox....let me see....AH! yes, I remember, it's called skins !!!!

:) :) :)

I have never found a good firefox skin I can use for more than A week before I go back to default. Most of the skins are horrible.

Once again: The blog post referenced in the news article only shows the Places Organiser mockup. Not the browser itself. The OS integration of Firefox 3 means: Use native menus and toolbars, and a icon theme to fit with the Aero design. It's going to look like this:

vista-aero-theme.png

(Taken from Bug 416531 in Bugzilla, which Bug 405605 linked to.)

Lastly: You're the one who needs to grow a funny bone, not I.

Well gee, I wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out. :p

dude thanks! using patch from the bug report, looks way better in vista now. Using ff beta 3.

I don't think they will drop it... They already seem to have alot of it done, dropping it would be dumb.

i could care less as well, i mean im sure someone will be making a vista skin for it. Originally when I heard of the native look I was thinking more in terms of Aero glass and better support for that like the ability to make the address bar semi opaque like in IE7

i hope they drop it, why copy vista's look?.. the developers are more than capable of making something unique..

Because running it in vista it should look like the rest of vista. Applications should be integrated with the look of the OS they are running on. I hate applications that look way different than everything else (And often ugly and just stand out for no reason.)

i could care less what my browser looks like as long as it still does all the wonderful things that it does you could paint it pink with flowers and i would still use it.

I've been using firefox since the 0.xx versions and I'm not gonna drop it for something as silly as this. :) browsing just wouldn't be the same without it.

Anyone who takes Paul Thurrot seriously these days needs their head checked anyway, last I heard he became a whiney bugger.

Plus, did you forget that theres hundreds of themes for Firefox? I am currently using a theme that makes FF2 look like IE7, because I like it to adapt to Vista too.. no issues here.

and for everyone crying about it not loading current themes, well thats because its a beta :p Paul of all people shouldn't be doing a final judgment on an as yet unreleased product that he has no clue about. He might get early releases of Windows betas (at the same time the mainstream press and developers get it) but I am quite sure he isn't a fly on the wall at Mozilla development.

In my opinion, another poke at IE on Pauls part, he has done quite a bit to diss Microsoft products these past 2 or 3 years while pretending to be the "all knowledgeable/insider one" for Microsoft.

Personally, I do not like the new 'visual refresh' in Beta 3 from within Windows Vista. The keyhole, tone, and new icons look very awkward. Still, my favorite was the pinstripe theme in XP from Firefox 1.0+

What I would love to see is a glass enabled skin for Firefox, somewhat in the style of IE7. I'm unsure however, if that's even possible, using the Firefox skin engine - I'm guessing it's not doable.