New Panel on news comments page

Some people may of noticed a change of layout in our comments page since yesterday. One of our coders, Simon360, has modified the comments page with a panel that can also be hidden and includes a new addition to our news submissions. On the left you will see other news items that are related. They will be the most recent related articles, and soon members will be able to search related articles in more detail (more on that at a later date).

Anyway I hope you will enjoy this new feature, it makes it a whole lot easier also to identify the news staff as now their forum nickname is added as well.

post-2-1203251918_thumb.png

Opened panel

post-2-1203251934_thumb.png

Closed panel

See it in action: https://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/02/16/n...geforce-8-cards

All these updates and going ons on Neowin.

Have all these been hanging around just waiting to be implemented or have these all recently come about.

Those poor guinea pigs that run the serves must be overworked! that or you've bought a couple more. :p

All these updates and going ons on Neowin.

Have all these been hanging around just waiting to be implemented or have these all recently come about.

Those poor guinea pigs that run the serves must be overworked! that or you've bought a couple more. :p

We recently implemented a new system that makes it far easier for us to work on things on our development server and push them live right away, instead of waiting for a whole set of changes to be completed, and push them live all at once. In the past 3 weeks we've made over 100 changes to the main site alone, some small things like bug fixes, others much larger, like this new panel, and the front page / forum linkup.

i like the idea behind it, needs a bit of tweaking imo

at 1600x1050 the gaps either side of it take up too much space, it makes the page look weird to me since the space isn't being utilized :s

Edited by .hasan

It's too bulky. Now you have to open and close a "drawer" just to digg or set the quality level unless you want a big chunk of page space eaten up. And you forgot to mention that it includes a new ad box underneath it. ;)

And you forgot to mention that it includes a new ad box underneath it. ;)

That ad was on the page before, we simply moved it to below the bar at the top of the comments section.

It's too bulky. Now you have to open and close a "drawer" just to digg or set the quality level unless you want a big chunk of page space eaten up. And you forgot to mention that it includes a new ad box underneath it. ;)

Like Dave said above, yeah, the ad was there before. I can see what you mean with the bulk, but that's to accommodate the "Related news" area; there's not all that much we can do.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm taking it into account while tweaking this a little bit.

As you are taking user feedback into account, I would like to point out that I disagree with the poster who said it was too "bulky".

I think it is the perfect size and includes everything needed. I especially love the "Share on Facebook", "Add to Windows Live", etc, links and images.

The only thing that does annoy me slghtly is the fact that the Ad is underneath the new panel, but above the actual comments lol. I'm sure I will probably get used to it, but I think it might be best of the Ad was moved about the panel or sumwhere else...mainly, I just think it would be best if the panel was kept with the comments section.

• 2 weeks later...
it's not very often but I submit news occasionally. What do we need to do to get the full name section filled in rather than it saying unknown?

I believe that only works for staff members. People were complaining that they didn't know which staff member posted the story since we only showed the real names before. The forum name feature was put in to help people tie real names to forum names much more easily.