Arsenal's Eduardo Leg Break !

The below is taken from the skysports.com website...

Eduardo suffers horror break

Arsenal striker Eduardo da Silva suffered a horrific broken leg in the opening minutes of the Premier League clash with Birmingham.

The Croatia international was challenged by Birmingham's Martin Taylor in the third minute of the game at St Andrews with the centre-back being shown an immediate red card by referee Mike Dean.

Eduardo's clearly distressed team-mates immediately signalled to the sidelines that urgent attention was required and the game was held up for seven minutes as he received treatment on the field.

The injury was deemed to be so serious that replays of the incident were not shown on television.

Photographs of the challenge and the immediate aftermath suggest the injury is similar to the break suffered by Manchester United forward Alan Smith during their FA Cup defeat at Liverpool in 2006.

Eduardo is now facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines and is certain to miss the remainder of this campaign and Croatia's Euro 2008 challenge in the summer.

After being stretchered off the field, he was immediately taken to hospital for further treatment.

The Brazil-born striker moved to Emirates Stadium from Dinamo Zagreb last summer and had scored 12 goals in his first 30 appearances for Arsene Wenger's side.

Here are some pictures...

Picture of initial tackle

Picture of leg break (WARNING!!!)

Edited by Divardo

I think you should probably give a warning and link to the photos rather than post them, they're pretty nasty.

I feel really sorry for him, he misses out on the chase to win the premiership, champions league and euro 2008. could be a career changing injury. :/

I think you should probably give a warning and link to the photos rather than post them, they're pretty nasty.

I feel really sorry for him, he misses out on the chase to win the premiership, champions league and euro 2008. could be a career changing injury. :/

Good point, thanks for raising that. I have added a warning to the second picture. The first ones probably ok ;)

I winced when I saw that tackle :pinch: . I can't believe Taylor getting of easy when the FA panel see this.

Scirwode

Eh, some of those pictures are somewhat suspicious, the latest 2 - somehow its from the same angle almost as the first picture yet the backround is completely different.

Second is heavily distorted and looks very digitally enhanced.

It is a shame for Eduardo, who is a talented player and is doing well for Arsenal.

I'm not sure whether Eduardo will even make a full recovery from this, it is a terrible leg break and he may never be the same again physically.

I hope he makes a full recovery though and is back fighting for every ball.

It is a shame. I totally agree. I hope he is not out for that much time though because he is a good player and not it is not good to get such a bad injury so early.

Lets hope he gets back soon.

i dont see it as a bad tackle compared to what some tackles have been like this season. the only problem was that taylor was minutely late and eduardo had just landed on his leg that took the impact. if taylor was a fraction earlier he'd have got the ball, a fraction later and eduardo would have had time to get his weight off the leg and start a jump, in which case he most likely wouldnt be injured at all.

And I thought Kieron Dyer breaking his leg playing for West Ham was nasty... but jeez.

I hope Eduardo gets better soon and hope we see him playing football again ASAP.

It wasn't a horrendous tackle, but it was bound to happen this seas.

There have been many, many tackles much worse than that this season, this just has the worst possible result. It wasn't even two footed.

Im glad Arsene retracted his statements - they were a bit ott!

The News of the World have put up a gallery of "Horror Tackles" some of which look worse than Eduardo's break. Be warned though, it ain't for the faint of heart!

They are pretty bad. Who was it that took a tackle from behind and you can see their shin coming through the front of their sock? I'm sure it was a premiership match but a long time ago... doesn't really make sense considering they wear shin pads but I'm certain it happened. Not that I really want to see it again.