Let's talk Filters!

So I read a little about filters and have some basic questions.

Do you use them all the time?

Would I be looking at a HOYA filter?

Do you advise you always keep them on the lens?

Do they work better with some lenses than others?

Cheers

I don't have any filters myself (yet), but as I understand it, UV filters are sensible to get on all lenses, and keep on. They might have marginal image benefits, but they stop the lens getting scratched, knocked (on the end) or getting dust on it. Easier and cheaper to replace a ?15-20 filter than having a scratched lens.

Indeed, you should slap a UV lens filter on every lens you buy (unless you want another filter on their instead) and keep it there, purely to protect the lens and keep dust out. I use Hoya UV filters myself.

While UV filters are great for protecting your lens, they don't do so much in terms of image quality, as UV doesn't really affect digital cameras that much, at least D-SLRs. There have been disccussions and reviews about this on the net, so you can search for it.

Hoya is good, B+W is even better. The only filters I use are multi-coated uv filters and circular polarizers, and then occasionally i use a cokin P series holder with a graduated neutral density filter for landscape shots, or a regular ND filter for when i want to shoot in bright conditions.

good filters, like everything photography related, are expensive, go for the multi coated ones.

You don't really just get "one" with your camera. You get a minimum of ONE per lens, and that one is always the UV filter for reasons stated above. I guess you don't HAVE to get an UV filter, but it's highly recommended. So you're already at one filter, but it doesn't do anything for you, photographically. So you'll be looking at Circular Polarizers, Gradual Neutral Density Filters (GND), or (regular) Neutral Density Filters (ND). Those are the big three, as far as I know. And the GND and ND filters come in different stops (typically 1,2,3, and 4 stops) to block more and more light. They get expensive quick. Decent ones, depending on how big your lens thread is (for example, 77mm or 52mm, etc) can easily be $100USD+.

That's my take on filters. I'm just learning about them; I really want to get some GND filters but I don't have it in my budget for right now. Maybe birthday? We'll see :)

I don't use filters on my telephoto lenses (70-200) as I always leave the hood on it. A good 77mm filter is around $60-70 and I don't see the point

I have a filter for mine just in case. Not all conditions will require the hood and sometimes I don't need to have it attached. It's just habit and you never know what might randomly happen once you remove the hood. Murphy's Law tends to happen at the most random moments.

I have a filter for mine just in case. Not all conditions will require the hood and sometimes I don't need to have it attached. It's just habit and you never know what might randomly happen once you remove the hood. Murphy's Law tends to happen at the most random moments.

Agreed... I've seen people take photos at night with the Hood on... To this day I've no clue why :p

Also... For filters... Since I would rather save up for a lenses, I prefer photoshop :D

Every condition requires a hood--as you said, Murphy's Law. A hood is bar the largest factor when considering protection of your lens. The front element is quite a bit stronger than many people realize to be.

Every condition requires a hood--as you said, Murphy's Law. A hood is bar the largest factor when considering protection of your lens. The front element is quite a bit stronger than many people realize to be.

Then please, for learning purposes... show me a use for a hood at night, because i'm otherwise ignorant :p hood-wise that is :)

Protection--it does more than just help flare. Greatly reduces the impact on falls and helps of course if you run into things when you lose your spatial sense with your eye to the viewfinder.

Protection--it does more than just help flare. Greatly reduces the impact on falls and helps of course if you run into things when you lose your spatial sense with your eye to the viewfinder.

ay... been down that road several times... I've tripped because of trying to shoot continuously and not watching where I walk because of keeping my eye in the viewfinder...

But from a Light point of view... In night shots that is. wouldn't it limit the amount of light coming in? ergo making darker pictures or having to step up the ISO?

Not at all. Hoods aren't designed to block the angle of view for your particular lens.

tut_lensflare_hooddiag.png

short_long.gif

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm

Hmmm interesting! many thanks giga.

Although Call me crazy, I would prefer that stray light, to at least light up someway or the other my night shot, not in all cases though. :p

Hmmm interesting! many thanks giga.

Although Call me crazy, I would prefer that stray light, to at least light up someway or the other my night shot, not in all cases though. :p

So you're saying you actually want flare? :p The stray light won't won't affect your exposure but it will reflect off the insides of the lens diaphragm and make nasties like this:

tut_lensflare_image1-zm.jpg

So you're saying you actually want flare? :p The stray light won't won't affect your exposure but it will reflect off the insides of the lens diaphragm and make nasties like this:

aye... don't know what i'm saying :p...

Wonder what flare looks like at night :) :p

Are the filters just caps, they cap over the lens or are they like stickers that stick onto the lens?

How stable are they when attached? Can they easily slip off?

Just a little offtopic but many artistic photographers did flares on porpuse. Flares (or glares) along with leaked light to the photopapers and a little film roughing can create interesting results. :p

Not at all. Hoods aren't designed to block the angle of view for your particular lens.

tut_lensflare_hooddiag.png

That diagram proves that a hood will result in less light. If the lens only picked up light in its angle of view then why do you need a hood?

At night (or any other time for that matter) unless you need a hood to stop flare don't use it.

Here is a way to think about it. When the sun is not in your direct line of sight it can still dazzle you a bit. So you hold your hand up so it doesn't shine on your face. Do you walk around like this all the time? Even at night?

That diagram proves that a hood will result in less light. If the lens only picked up light in its angle of view then why do you need a hood?

At night (or any other time for that matter) unless you need a hood to stop flare don't use it.

Here is a way to think about it. When the sun is not in your direct line of sight it can still dazzle you a bit. So you hold your hand up so it doesn't shine on your face. Do you walk around like this all the time? Even at night?

Yes, less light..eg. unnecessary light which will cause flare. The lens does only pick up light in its angle of view, its the stray light from the wider angles that cause the flare.

tut_lensflare_straylight.png

I'm not sure why you're saying not to use a hood? It won't negatively affect your image or exposure but will help for both protection and stray lights that can enter the lens. There is always a chance of flare indoors, depending on the situation--especially bright light sources and ones reflecting around the room. (Christmas time for example)