F1 World Championship 2008 Thread

I'm supporting pretty much everybody but Alonso. :laugh: I want Lewis to win overall though. :p

I think Ferrari and McLaren are about equal. Last year tracks clearly suited one or the other team, but not both. Both teams think they've improved where they did poorly last year, so they should be equal now.

I think BMW have slipped into the midfield. Williams (and Red Bull slightly) have made good progress over the winter, while BMW have been struggling badly with stability.

Melbourne isn't a great example as it's a very unique track (look at 2007). I think after Bahrain we'll have a better idea as to who is where. The lack of driver aids will make it harder still to judge.

I was just talking about the performance of the cars right at the start of the season, but you're right Melbourne is not the best track to judge how things will be. Plus the lack of traction control should make for a exciting season, it'll really separate the men from the boys so to speak. ;)

I am supporting BMW Sauber fully this season and Nick Heiffeld and Robert Kaubica!

I also love the Melbourne circuit but I heard that Ecclestone does not like it because the timings in Australia make it very bad for European viewers and he said only a night race will do but the Melbourne organizers don't want it.

I was just reading this over at News on F1

I think they should get rid of that Andy Warhol lookalike, first the US GP now the AUS GP.

Mar.9 (GMM) Australia's new prime minister has personally told Bernie Ecclestone that the country will not be funding a night F1 race.

"I've spoken to Kevin Rudd and he's told me it would cost too much to re-stage the race, so I guess that's it. We won't be going to Australia for too much longer," the F1 chief executive is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.

Ecclestone, 77, had already been told by the Melbourne race's promoters, the AGPC and the Victorian state government, that they will not be ceding to his pressure to floodlight the Albert Park circuit at their own expense.

"The only way the race could stay in Melbourne, or anywhere else in Australia, is if it is staged during the night so that the public in Europe can watch it," Ecclestone says.

He says staging the race at night will mean that F1's key audience - television viewers in Europe - no longer need to be up in the dead of the night to watch the first grand prix of the season.

"At the moment, it is ridiculous that people are asked not to sleep in order to see it live. That can't carry on. The alternative is to pull the race completely from Australia," Bernie added.

ausfri1fj7.png

Surprisingly many technical problems in the 1st practice. Busted engines for Red Bull and BMW and gearbox failures for both Williams cars.

Based on the first results, it's yet another 2-way season.. :(

Ferrari's and McLaren's times don't surprise me at all.

I knew BMW were going to be slower this season, but I didn't think it would be as much as the two practices suggest. It appears RBR have made a good leap forward, although lack of aids may help DC and MW (during the winter it was reported that Webber kept drifting through one turn :laugh:).

Ferrari all the way for me.

Hamilton is a good driver and he knows it, which is why I hate him, and I love in England! so I should like him but I just can't :(

Kimi gets my vote, he's an outstanding driver better than Hamilton, With Hamilton being mentioned all the time, no one really noticed how easily Kimi was getting closer to winning.

Interesting qualifying....

Sad news for Kimi R?ikk?nen but..go mclaren!b>Saturday Qualifying Resultsb>

a70ea2f5df..jpg

A VERY interesting result...

That was a pretty good day. BMW were fantastic and a shame Kubica didn't get pole. Strange Ferrari had an off day, perhaps they can claw something back tomorrow. Honda were a surprise as well. The Red Bulls look abit with webber having problems. Vettel as well did a good one as well!

Oi Nic-C. Should have been in the IRC room as well! You know we always talk about F1 when it's on

What a great start! Pretty much perfect if you don't count Heidfeld's low 5th place. :p

Toyota surprised as well. I didn't expect such a strong performance from them...

Edited by .mcman

Wow, what a slide by Kubica, fantastic recovery to take second on the grid. How many of the front runners on a light fuel load? Prediction: first stop around lap 10.

Shame for Webber, looked like the right rear break let go.

As for Ferrari, we'll hope for better results in the race.

Was more mixed up than I thought it would be. Lot's of mistakes. Lewis and Kimi looked the most in control to me though.

Hope it continues like this as it will make the championship very interesting.

What an awesome qualify! cant wait for tomorrows race!, the new cars are so great, and finally get to see some true skill with the new ECU setups.