DVD to H.264 Hi10P conversion question

Is it possible to convert a DVD movie (assume its just the main title and main audio track) to a Hi10P H.264 file that is 1080p60 resolution?

I read on wikipedia and adobe that H.264, at least it's HiP Profile, is what is used in HD-DVD and Blu-ray films.

What would the end-result be like, quality wise?

• 1 month later...

Depending on how you encode it, you might end up with a better copy than what you would see with just letting whatever's decoding the DVD resize it (especially if that's up to your TV to resize it). Still won't look anything like a good HD-DVD or Bluray though.

Oh what??

Are you telling me that even if I use MeGui to make "Cradle 2 The Grave" (for example) into a H264 file with the following options...

- 3-passed

- turbo-enabled

- high profile

- unrestricted

- auto-cropped (it has black borders, so annoying...)

- SATD Exhaustive ME algorithm

- RDO Level 2 subpixel refinement

- "always" treffis

- temporal b-frame mode

- all macroblock options

- 1920x1080 resolution (if the other options don't already do this)

...that it STILL won't look as good as a real Blu-ray movie??

it will never look as good as blu-ray movie, because you are using 480 lines to fill up 1080 lines. It may look better than a normal upscaler, but you're gonna end up with a HUGE file that won't look noticeably better than the dvd

Of course it won't look as good. You don't have the extra detail that makes a high definition, and you're trying to create the illusion of a more detailed version of a simple DVD. It's trying to create 1080 lines when you feed it with 480 lines. It will try to create 1920 points on each line, while you feed it with 720 or 850 points on each line. It can repeat the same lines or points to fill the missing ones, or get an average of the surround existing points to create a point that 'could' be there, but the fact is that it'll never be nearly as good as the real thing.

And you'll spend 20+ hours to do that? Just buy a DVD player with an upscaler (costs about 60-80 euro, and probably $60-80 as well) and it will do the same thing you're trying to do :)

(XBOX360 has a crappy upscaler, PS3 has a nice upscaler, cheap Samsung DVD-Players have a great upscaler up to 1080i, and Toshiba DVD-Players have an OK upscaler up to 1080p).

Currently I use my PS3 to play movies (dvds, blurays). The PS3 is connected to an AVR (Sony STRDG910S) which itself is connected to a Pioneer Kuro Plasma (the 16000:1 CR 50" one). All by HDMI by the way.

I watched T3 earlier on that setup. It looked quite good and detailed. Loud too - DTS 5.1 at a loud volume was booming!

Anyways...so my conversion plan is pointless? Fair enough.

Guess now I'll need to find a few 1TB HDDs to store all my Blurays and DVDs in ISO form. lol. Main movie and best audio - the way disc movies should be!!

Yup, pointless, especially because you have PS3, which does the upscaling for you on the fly, and you watch your normal dvds at 1080p anyways. And it does a very good job too.

T3 is a THX certified movie, and it's a perfect way to see how far your Kuro and your AVR can go. Other reference movies are: Stargate for its sound, StarWars (THX) for sound and image, Night at the museum BluRay for the extremelly detailed image, especially at the Guiliver scenes.

Yeah. You're right. I'm officially abandoning any plans of DVD conversion. Probably wouldn't be worth it even on an overclocked Q9450 running at 3.2GHz so it's FSB can match the PC2-6400 RAM.

Well that's my plan anyway. Getting back on track...

What I'll do instead is leave the DVD up scaling to those 3 devices - the PS#, the AVR, and the Kuro. All of them are now capable of 1080p, so I'm set. All I need is a few external HDDs that can store files way over 2 GB (is NTFS what I'm thinking of?).

Pardon the double post. The edit command was gone from the previous post.

If I did do a DVD to H264 conversion, following your advice, I guess I should keep the native resolution of the DVD (720x576 in most cases). After the conversion of the video, would it be possible to mux PCM into the H264 file? This would produce what I originally intended - superb video and uncompressed audio.

Pardon the double post. The edit command was gone from the previous post.

If I did do a DVD to H264 conversion, following your advice, I guess I should keep the native resolution of the DVD (720x576 in most cases). After the conversion of the video, would it be possible to mux PCM into the H264 file? This would produce what I originally intended - superb video and uncompressed audio.

You'd still be trying to get PCM (uncompressed) quality out of a compressed format (unless the DVD itself came with pcm audio)