Play Up Pompey

As a season comes on teams tend to just grind out results, example Man Utd last year. Winning in the last few mins with a goal!

Pompey put on a defensive display that was fantastic, we were smart and refused to get dragged out. Man Utd got caught on the counter a few times. You must have missed our match with reading, 7- 4.

As for us scoring goals we have similar goals scored similar to the teams around us, they are all about 38 - 45.

The only reason why I think you find us boring at times is because of our lack of width which is our only problem. Kranjcar comes in and Utaka is more of a striker who also drifts in. Even Johnson cuts in when he runs.

My dad and brother are fuming, its as if Middlesbrough didn't even want to play, long ball everytime mopped up by the center backs, and then Cardiff winning literally EVERY second ball.

Im a bit gutted, i wanted them to win, cause' now they're going to be egging on Inter Milan to come back and beat Liverpool.

Eeek

Yeah pretty nice draw either way. West Brom will be a bit tricky as they are a brink premiership side.

It also means Barnsley keeper can play as he is on loan from west brom!

The Barnsley and Cardiff match will be a dog of a fight, with 2 points between them in a tight championship table.

The Football Association has confirmed Cardiff will not be granted special dispensation to compete in Europe if they win the FA Cup.

Following a fine display at Middlesbrough on Sunday, Cardiff have booked a trip to Wembley to play Barnsley in the competition's semi-final.

Under current FA regulations Cardiff would not be eligible to represent England in the Uefa Cup if they eventually emerge as FA Cup winners.

Dave Jones' side fall under the jurisdiction of the FA of Wales, even though they choose to play in FA competitions.

This leaves them in limbo as neither association can nominate them for Europe - the FA because Cardiff are Welsh and the FAW because they do not play in their competitions.

An FA spokesperson said: "Our position remains unchanged and should Cardiff win the FA Cup this season they would not be chosen as the FA's nomination for European competition.

"Cardiff enter into English domestic competitions on this understanding and they are fully aware of the rules and regulations under which they take part."

I still don't get why Cardiff can't play in the UEFA Cup is they win the FA-Cup. Can you please explain?

Its because Cardiff aren't an English side if someone like Barnsley won then yep in the UEFA cup they go but they are welsh so under guidelines they are under guidance of the Welsh FA and if they don't want to support them because they aren't playing in their league then no one will, they signed probably to accept that if Europe ever came along they can't play in it.

Its because Cardiff aren't an English side if someone like Barnsley won then yep in the UEFA cup they go but they are welsh so under guidelines they are under guidance of the Welsh FA and if they don't want to support them because they aren't playing in their league then no one will, they signed probably to accept that if Europe ever came along they can't play in it.

Ahh ok. So they are a Welsh team but don't play in the Welsh league... Ahh!

Thanks!

It is possibly actually that if we have a final of Portsmouth v Cardiff (and Portsmouth have already secured a UEFA Cup place in the league), that one of the semi final teams may be allocated the UEFA Cup place.

No Portsmouth have not secured a place in the UFEA cup. It all depends on the Cups and then the standings in the League.

As well as being presented with the cup, the winning team also qualifies by right for the first round of the UEFA Cup, unless they have already qualified for Europe when the spot goes to the runners-up or to the highest placed Premier League side without European qualification.

The winning team qualifies by right for the first round of the UEFA Cup. If the winners also qualify for the Champions League by merit of league position, the runners-up qualify for the UEFA Cup in their place. If both finalists qualify for the Champions League, an extra UEFA Cup place is given on the basis of league position.

The fifth placed team automatically qualifies for the UEFA Cup, and the sixth and seventh placed teams can also qualify, depending on what happens in the two domestic cup competitions. If the FA Cup winners and runners-up both finish in the top five of the Premier League, the FA Cup's UEFA Cup spot goes to the sixth placed team in the League. If the League Cup is won by a team that has already qualified for Europe, the League Cup's UEFA Cup spot also goes to the next highest placed team in the League (unlike the FA Cup spot, it is never transferred to the losing finalist).[18] The highest placed team that has not qualified for the UEFA Cup is allowed the opportunity to compete in the UEFA Intertoto Cup, provided they have applied to enter the Intertoto Cup in the next season. This provides another means of getting into the UEFA Cup, as winners of all eleven third-round Intertoto Cup ties qualify for that tournament.

So at the moment it is hard to work out the standings untill things become more solid.

Yeah but then which one? And how have Portsmouth already secured a FA Cup position?

Suppose Portsmouth lose in the semi-final and Cardiff win the FA Cup... then who gets the UEFA Cup position?

Edited by Crazysah

My prediction is the final is gonna be Portsmouth vs. Barnsley. Is Portsmouth win the cup, I'll feel a little bit better as a Plymouth Argyle fan. We got knocked out by them in the last 16. It would be good to say we lost to the winners. David James knocked us out by making his goal a bloody fortress. He was on top form that day. I'll be glad when he comes down to us later on! :D After they beat us, David James said that he'd love to play for Plymouth! He wants to help us get to the Premiership, but considering how well we're doing at the moment, we might not need him after all! Currently sitting 7th, 1 point off the playoffs. If we beat Scunthorpe tonight, we'll be in good spirits for the trip to Bristol City on Saturday!

Come on you greens!

Yeah but then which one? And how have Portsmouth already secured a FA Cup position?

Suppose Portsmouth lose in the semi-final and Cardiff win the FA Cup... then who gets the UEFA Cup position?

The finalists I would imagine either way Cardiff won't make Europe.

if they win the fa cup they will go into the uefa cup.. first round atleast :)

They won't because the English FA won't back them as a selection and nor will the Welsh FA.

It is possibly actually that if we have a final of Portsmouth v Cardiff (and Portsmouth have already secured a UEFA Cup place in the league), that one of the semi final teams may be allocated the UEFA Cup place.
No Portsmouth have not secured a place in the UFEA cup. It all depends on the Cups and then the standings in the League.

Yeah you are right. I don't know why I said Pompey have already secured the UEFA Cup place via the league. I should have said if.