DeskScapes 2.0 Preview Arrives!

The DeskScapes 2.0 preview release has arrived! No longer will .dreams be limited to Vista Ultimate only.

Stardock is pleased to announce that the DeskScapes 2.0 preview version is now available. DeskScapes allows users of Windows Vista to have animated wallpapers on their desktop. It runs the Stardock created .DREAM format which can contain videos as animated wallpapers or dynamically generated content.

The Preview build comes with 3 DREAMs:

1. Watercolor. A dynamic dream that randomizes your desktop background.

2. Silent Hill. A brand-new video based dream.

3. Stardock Cube. A simple 3D cube dancing on the desktop

The goal of the preview version is to evaluate the variety of hardware configurations out there running Windows Vista in order to see how well different types of Dreams run. The three included Dreams were especially chosen to check out 3 very different types of capabilities.

Stardock expects to release DeskScapes 2.0 later this month in time for

Object Desktop 2008.

Edited by Island Dog

I've been waiting for this program for a long time, checking every few days to test this bit of software. The ability to use animated desktops legaly without ultimate is finally here for a preview. Can't wait to be able to test out full range of dreams and some of my own in the full version. Ty Stardock.

Mods please feel free to remove this if it isn't allowed. I just wanted to let everyone know that you can also find a wide selection of dreams at Vistadreams.org. :)

Too bad WC changed their system of downloading dreams back limiting you so you can't really download enough to find the good ones before they tell you to pay up to download more.

and since you can't see what a dream is like before it's downloaded, it makes it fairly useless. especially with all the peopel giving good rating to utterly crap dreams

Too bad WC changed their system of downloading dreams back limiting you so you can't really download enough to find the good ones before they tell you to pay up to download more.

and since you can't see what a dream is like before it's downloaded, it makes it fairly useless. especially with all the peopel giving good rating to utterly crap dreams

Feel free to give my site a try if you would like. Vistadreams.org is the address and it is $20 for lifetime access to all of our dreams. :) Nothing against Stardock here of course! They are a great company and have helped my site out a great deal. Just offering up options! :)

Will try this on my laptop soon.

But can someone tell me if there is a Program like this for XP?

I have XP on my desktop and would like to have an animating wallpaper or etc....

Please help.

Cheers,

-Sikh.

WinCustomize has a 500mb download limit for logged in users who haven't purchased anything. If you are an active customer of ANY of our products, you get unlimited downloads. :)

WinCustomize has a 500mb download limit for logged in users who haven't purchased anything. If you are an active customer of ANY of our products, you get unlimited downloads. :)

Ah! Thank you for clearing that up for us! :)

Will try this on my laptop soon.

But can someone tell me if there is a Program like this for XP?

I have XP on my desktop and would like to have an animating wallpaper or etc....

Please help.

Cheers,

-Sikh.

According to what I saw on Frogboy's Object Desktop 2008 walkthrough, they are looking at ways to use recent XP driver advances to bring dreams to XP. That would be awesome in my book!! :D

Is there anyway to run all the dream files I downloaded before I realised this 'preview' was limited to ONLY the three dreams included? ...Even though that's not mentioned before you download it.

Well that's terrific, I tried 2.0 and uninstalled it because it wouldn't allow me to run all my Dream wallpapers. Now the old free version doesn't work.

That's why i don't like Stardock. I wonder why they don't ask for money for all their products, or am i wrong? :shifty:

Im surprised they can get away with charging people, because it's Microsoft's technology that they added a proprietary format to and started charging for. It even still has the high CPU usage.

That's why i don't like Stardock. I wonder why they don't ask for money for all their products, or am i wrong? :shifty:

You don't like Stardock because.......a company charges for some products. Do you ever wonder how all these products are developed without having some sort of income?

Im surprised they can get away with charging people, because it's Microsoft's technology that they added a proprietary format to and started charging for. It even still has the high CPU usage.

"Bit of interesting background, the implementation of an animated desktop feature in Windows Vista was actually first developed by Stardock. They then demonstrated the idea to Microsoft who partnered with them to produce the Ultimate Extra, DreamScene along with a batch of its original content. Stardock then shifted its focus on DeskScapes'

;)

You don't like Stardock because.......a company charges for some products. Do you ever wonder how all these products are developed without having some sort of income?

So are you saying that all the developers should charge money from their users to keep Stardock alive? Funny, because developers like Piriform (CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler), Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird), BitTorrent (uTorrent and BitTorrent), etc etc. Do they charge money from their users? hummmm... i think users donate, but because they like or because they want to help the developers.

And yeah, right, Stardock only makes "g00d" apps, specially the ones which are incompatible with Windows itself and some games, crashes, shoudn't a good app at least be compatible with everything? I don't need to give examples, i'm sure that the WinCustomize forum is full of topics with problems, unless they are deleted :laugh:

Anyway, is there at least ONE application by Stardock which is completely freeware?

;)

So are you saying that all the developers should charge money from their users to keep Stardock alive? Funny, because developers like Piriform (CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler), Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird), BitTorrent (uTorrent and BitTorrent), etc etc. Do they charge money from their users? hummmm... i think users donate, but because they like or because they want to help the developers.

Anyway, is there at least ONE application by Stardock which is completely freeware?

;)

So are you saying that every developer should just make everything "free", just because some refuse to pay for anything? Using something like Mozilla as a point is quite ridiculous. They get millions and millions of dollars from Google and other investors. I really don't think you have an understanding of how business works.

And yeah, right, Stardock only makes "g00d" apps, specially the ones which are incompatible with Windows itself and some games, crashes, shoudn't a good app at least be compatible with everything? I don't need to give examples, i'm sure that the WinCustomize forum is full of topics with problems, unless they are deleted

That's a pretty vague claim, especially when it sounds like you don't have any Stardock applications.

ObjectDock. I gladly list more if you really want to know. ;)

So are you saying that every developer should just make everything "free", just because some refuse to pay for anything? Using something like Mozilla as a point is quite ridiculous. They get millions and millions of dollars from Google and other investors. I really don't think you have an understanding of how business works.

Did i said that everything should be free? That way why should we bother working? ;)

I just said that some developers only release free applications, when some don't even release a single free application, just because of "money".

That's a pretty vague claim, especially when it sounds like you don't have any Stardock applications.

You're wrong, i have Stardock ObjectDock Plus, which i've PAYED, because the supposed "free" version has limitations, when one of them is that i've had to buy the full version because to create new custom tabs i need to buy the full version, ok, it's fair, but it's the first and last application i buy from Stardock, because is also the one that i really need and don't crash and it's compatible with almost everything. :)

PS: Why Stardock don't create new backgrounds for OD? I know there's a lot out there, but there's also a lot of WB themes out there and Stardock keep making new ones, and since OD is a lot simple (lol) why don't make OD skins?

ObjectDock. I gladly list more if you really want to know. ;)

You're answer is above :laugh:

I don't get the point of dreams... you may as well get cool videos which loop and use the wallpaper option on VLC and have it running in the background :p. Alot less memory used by that, than by DeskScapes!!

ou're wrong, i have Stardock ObjectDock Plus, which i've PAYED, because the supposed "free" version has limitations

Ummm....no.

ObjectDock is an application by itself, which is completely free, there is no "supposed" about it. ObjectDock Plus is a separate application which adds other features. ;)

you may as well get cool videos which loop and use the wallpaper option on VLC and have it running in the background . Alot less memory used by that, than by DeskScapes!!

Because VLC doesn't support dynamic or triggered content, and DeskScapes doesn't interfere with your desktop. :)