DeskScapes 2.0 Preview Arrives!

Ummm....no.

ObjectDock is an application by itself, which is completely free, there is no "supposed" about it. ObjectDock Plus is a separate application which adds other features. ;)

Ummm...yes.

Actually i can only create tabbed docks with the Plus version, and that's what i need, otherwise there's Rocket Dock which doesn't have that option, but i don't like it anyway. :)

Ummm...yes.

Actually i can only create tabbed docks with the Plus version, and that's what i need, otherwise there's Rocket Dock which doesn't have that option, but i don't like it anyway.

Oh goodness. It's two separate applications, one is free, one isn't. It's as simple as that. ;)

businesses are for the most part evil, but do realize this we won't survive without the planets or earth or even no atmosphere at all unlike businesses we can survive without them all they are quick to do is bribe money out of your hands and when you want a refund they simply just stall forever. because they dont want to do it, thats at least how businesses here work.

• 3 weeks later...

There are so many 100% completely free Alternatives to DeskScapes like VLC, Screen2Dream, VitalDesktop, XPScene, Drempels, ... I have also no problem to buy a "good" software, but the .dream marketing strategy realy s... :(

What if DeskScapes is incompatible with the next Windows version, or the developement of DeskScapes stoppes ? Should i throw away all the payed .dream files, because they are incompatible with other Apps like the orginal Windows DreamScene ?

i'd rather burn my money before buying .dream files.

Stardock makes good programs and have good after sales services, when i see something i like from them, i know the money will be well spent and i will be able to get help if problems arise.

having said that, im looking forward to the WindowsFX version for vista :D

Not the stardock apps are bad, but imho the .dream format is !

The problem is that the .dream file format is a proprietary undocumented fileformat and not a standard or open fileformat. its impossible and also not allowed (without the explicit written consent of Stardock) to unpack a .dream file to get the orginal DreamScene video, even if its made by an free artist. So i'm forced to use DeskScapes, because there is absolute no alternative way to use those dreamscenes.

There are so many 100% completely free Alternatives to DeskScapes ..

Those are not really alternatives. They can't provide dynamic content, advanced features, and many of them can't even play right without screwing up your desktop icons.

The problem is that the .dream file format is a proprietary undocumented fileformat and not a standard or open fileformat. its impossible and also not allowed (without the explicit written consent of Stardock) to unpack a .dream file to get the orginal DreamScene video, even if its made by an free artist. So i'm forced to use DeskScapes, because there is absolute no alternative way to use those dreamscenes.

The .dream file format has many advantages to just distributing a .wmv or .mpg file, as has been discussed many times before. DeskScapes isn't going anyway so I really wouldn't worry about it.

The .dream file format has many advantages to just distributing a .wmv or .mpg file, as has been discussed many times before. DeskScapes isn't going anyway so I really wouldn't worry about it.

i'm not talking about .wmv or .mpg files. For example: you can put muliple MPEG-2 streams, screenshots, triggering information, copyright and meta infos as well as 2D or 3D content in only one single standard .mp4 file. all that is absolute standard conform regarding to the MP4 file format specs. The mp4 format is a license free, well documented standard container.

Edited by Breck

The .dream format is designed to be more than just a container file. Regardless, .dream format isn't going anywhere.

the .dream file format IS just a container like .zip or any other file format containig data in one or another form ;) just open it with a Hex editor and take a look on it ... oh sorry, no don't do it, its not allowed without the explicit written consent of Stardock :) the point is, if i want to use the .dream file format as a developer for my own Windows app, i have to pay for it !!!

the point is, if i want to use the .dream file format as a developer for my own Windows app, i have to pay for it !!!

And? As I said, the .dream format isn't going anywhere.

Unless they offer a dynamic dream creator in Dream Maker I see no point in using it. I will stick to .wmv and .mpg files. If a Dream is just a container format then im sure someone will create a video extractor to convert it to a .wmv or .mpg, i just havent seen any good .dreams that i would like to use.

@ID: So, if i develop a program running my own created DreamScene (or one from any other free artist, not stardock) that is packed into a .dream file, i will have to pay a license fee to stardock for using the .dream format. I have to pay for my own work ! do you really think that is correct ?

@Doli: it is not allowed to write such an extractor for free (you have to pay a license fee to stardock), the following is written within a .dream container:

"This dream file was created for use specifically by Stardock DeskScapes or programs explicitly authorized by Stardock to use DeskScapes dreams. This dream may not be converted, imported, or read by any program without the explicit written consent of Stardock Corporation. DeskScapes .DREAM file format copyright © 2007 Stardock Corporation."

.. else i would develop such a tool within a second ;)

Edited by Breck

@ID: So, if i develop a program running my own created DreamScene (or one from any other free artist, not stardock) that is packed into a .dream file, i will have to pay a license fee to stardock for using the .dream format. I have to pay for my own work ! do you really think that is correct ?

It's a proprietary format, it's not the only one in the world like that, and there's a reasoning behind that. You wouldn't be paying for your own work, you would be paying for licensing for a format.