Time for the X-43 for NASA

its high time they finally experiment the X-43, X-35 and X-45, Ramjets and Scramjets are the only future for Nasa, not these old shuttles

X-43

http://users.dbscorp.net/jmustain/x-43.jpg

X-37

http://www.spacedaily.com/images/x-37-bg.jpg

say all you will, where is the money coming from? :rolleyes:

Congress aint gonna give NASA any more money then already have, in the minds of many people, we have more domestic issues to deal with.

Perhaps after yesterdays tragic events, this may change.

Time Will Tell.

Bush should make like Kennedy and set Mars in his sights. Only then will NASA get the increase in funding that it really needs. With ongoing foreign affairs issues being problematic, I don't see why something positive like this can be a bad move. The government can handle the war with Iraq while pursuing Mars. Kennedy used the Moon as a positive goal during the Cold War (and Cuban Missle Crisis), so I think it would be a good path to follow.

Bush should make like Kennedy and set Mars in his sights. Only then will NASA get the increase in funding that it really needs. With ongoing foreign affairs issues being problematic, I don't see why something positive like this can be a bad move. The government can handle the war with Iraq while pursuing Mars. Kennedy used the Moon as a positive goal during the Cold War (and Cuban Missle Crisis), so I think it would be a good path to follow.

the moon is also only 4 days away, as mars is many many light years away.

Migration to the moon, is far more pheasable than mars.

these types of spacecraft have been in development for a long time now. here is a picture of the x-45.

x-37-test-2002-bg.jpg

also, future space travel will be much faster, making mars more feasible. also, fuel sources will be reusable.

Edited by BroChaos

A trip to mars is perfectly possible with today's (or even 10 years ago's) technology, the only problem is psychological the trip to there will be 6 month the trip back 6 month, it is enough to put even the best trained astronaut's brain under too much pressure for it to stay intact... not counting the time spent there (at least 1 year waiting for the orbit of mars to be right again so that they can make their journey back) check the stats im not 100% sure about their accuracy (only 90%)

thats the only reason...

maybe there will also be the problem of cosmic radiation, on earth the level of background radiation is quite low, as it is filtered out but in space it is quite high (even by doing a 2 hrs plane trip you take in as much radiation as someone who stayed on the ground for a few months)

Seeing as NASA can't even get a robot on Mars I don't see humans any time soon.

Perhaps you've heard of Sojourner, the Mars rover?

It was people such as yourself that said no one could reach the moon.

They look cool and there are some issues which they would resolve w/ the current shuttle program: 1) Much safer than 300,000 litres of explosives on board, its renewable - new boosters if I recall have to be used each time.

But these designs are still in prototype and haven't been tested in practice. We're probably looking at at least another decade before Columbia is even replaced.

I hope you guys aren't trying to bring up replacing the Columbia craft because of the last 2 accidents. You have to consider that in the last 20 years, there have been at least launches every 6 mo/ to 1 year apart . The shuttle system is well tested, well known and integrated very carefully. It took at least 15 years to test and design everything on the shuttle before it was ever built.

The X33 is definately the coolest looking of the bunch.

Money is going to be an issue here. The Columbia tradegy might have brought this issue to the center stage but with the end of the space race, the cost and time might ultimately dictate when and what will replace the shuttle.

umm I thought I read a cpl months back NASA stated that mars travel would be in our grasps thanks to new Nuclear powered propulsions they were testing. Seemed accurate at the time, despite its negaties nuclear energy is still the powerfulest form of energy we readily use, makes sense that they would try it in a space craft.

Even if NASA is considering building a new prototype, it will require huge fund to make their project come to realization. Crippling world economy would not help US to acquire that kind of fund for space project.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/av-20176.jpg

This is a prototype shuttle craft capable of interplanetary travel. It's rather hush-hush. So don't tell anyone.

Interplanetary travel ?? :wacko: Whilst I would love for this to be true, (I'd be one of the first people to sign up for a test launch) I highly doubt humans will be travelling to the stars in my lifetime, I mean come on. Unless NASA etc.. decide to admit that they are using :alien: technology we have no hope of doing it

https://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/av-20176.jpg

This is a prototype shuttle craft capable of interplanetary travel. It's rather hush-hush. So don't tell anyone.

Interplanetary travel ?? :wacko: Whilst I would love for this to be true, (I'd be one of the first people to sign up for a test launch) I highly doubt humans will be travelling to the stars in my lifetime, I mean come on. Unless NASA etc.. decide to admit that they are using :alien: technology we have no hope of doing it

I think xxxSxxxx was referring interplanetary travel as travelling to planets within our own solar systems such as mars and not to the nearst star system that is light years away.

Yeah I think once the International Space Station is completed space funding will pick up immesely. But apart from this I think the governments all need to work together this crap takes too long and too much money to fund from just one nation, we really need a world collaboration on this, and not just the internation space station like every country needs to chip in, not poor countres but like Japan, Eurpoean Union, Australia, Asian nations etc, we need to pool some resources and get it going, and then let everyone benefit from the research data collected.

Until that happens were gonna be grey at this rate before we see a man land on another planet.