Dell 2408WFP REVIEW from a Laymans point of view

Product Link

Dell 2408WFP UltraSharp™ WideScreen Flat Panel Monitor

DSC00565.jpg

This is my 5th LCD in past 2 years. This time I wanted to buy something which will last me at least till the monitor is covered under its warranty period.

After much deliberation and thinking I decided to buy something big and worthy of the money I would be investing.

My initial selection was DELL E248WFP, but once who suffers the pain of using a TN panel LCD , won?t bother to buy it again.

Luck Fetched well. Was offered a DELL 2408WFP with 5yr Replacement Warranty for the price of 25000 r(596 $ US ),

the actual cost for the same in india is 1200$ USD or 54000 rupeeses. Asked my Mom if I could buy it, she readily agreed once I told her about the viewing

angles issues getting fixed and HD resolution (she loves watching HINDI DVD`s and quality Hollywood HD releases).

I read many reviews of DELL 2408WFP criticizing it about many issues.

For E.g. Very High Input Lag, Color shift issues, Pink tones and what:Dot :D

But still I succumbed to the very opportunity and my LUST for watching high definition movies

without caring about where and how I am sitting against the LCD.

Payment was Made and at last I received my DELL 2408WFP on March 26/3/2008 (within 6 days after processing the order).

Here are the Manufacturers Specifications for the same:

24-inch WUXGA 1920 x 1200 Monitor ? View 43% more screen area & 30%2 more pixel content on-screen compared any Dell 20-inch monitor.

6 Millisecond Response Time (typical) ? Reduces ghosting and imaging associated with movement for fluid motion.

3000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio ? Get dark blacks, sharp images, crisp text, brilliant color saturation and greater life-like detail.

110%3 Color Gamut (CIE 1976) - With Dell TrueColorTM Technology, you?ll see more color than average monitor of 72% color gamut.

Full HD 1080p ? Supports higher definition than HD television and a wide array of HD connection options like HDMI,

Display Port, DVI-D with HDCP and HDMI 2.1 Audio Out.

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

It easily detected the DVI Input source and worked more of like a plug and play device. Source selection button has to be pressed each time the source is changed.

No AUTO-MODE here. I would be using this LCD along with my PC; hence I don?t mind the source selection issue.

Attaching the wires behind was easy. A small gap of 2-3 inches is provided for cable management behind.

The LCD comprises of just too many INPUT options. It just tries and does manage to make everyone happy with its huge array of

INPUT ports present nicely behind.

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

It has a Media Card reader on the Left side along with 2 USB ports and more 2USB ports behind.No need to install any drivers for the same, everything gets auto detected in Windows Vista 32-bit.

The OSD is simple and very easy to manage once you go thru it properly. Many options are present in the OSD. From regular Brightness/Contrast change to Sharpness Control (0-25-50-100 presets), fill mode, position etc.

As I said earlier, the DELL 2408WFP has too much of inputs behind: VGA (Analog), DVI-D (Digital) with HDCP, S-Video, Composite-video, Component-video, HDMI, Display Port, and Stereo Audio-output.

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

DSC00574.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

Oh! What in?l name is this ??<???? eyes burning??????

The Display was just way too bright out of the box. Contrast was just exact. Colors looked good,

although I did believe Calibration would get the best out of it. Brightness and Contrast both were preset at 50 (aaah! my eyes again, LOL)

The left side of the LCD is brighter than the right side (to some it?s a big issue to me its not)

The right bottom side of the LCD had a pinkish tone which actually did bother me. It dint pose to be a problem while watching movies or

games but it did irritate while doing anything on white background especially documenting work and browsing through web.

Dynamic contrast of 3000:1 is just Waste. If switched on, it constantly changes the brightness levels as per the

background which is very annoying. Games do look really good if Dynamic Contrast is on BTW.

Sharpness was set to 50 and fonts did look pixilated.

DSC00566.jpg

Edited by Dinesh Malhotra

You've kind of inspired me to buy this monitor, but I'm still unsure.

It seems that you get great colour and image quality with the higher end panels, but they always have some kind of downfall, that tbh I don't think I could live with, like the input lag and pink tones.

Nice review.. very detailed and informative.. one quick note that I didnt see.. for those of us who do not live in Hyrule... please provide price in USD and EUR...

I was thinking about buying this, to replace my samsung 213T, but uneven brightness, and pink tone is killing it for me, as I'd use it for image editing, and can't have that junk. Keep in mind of course that I would be profiling this with a tool, but that is still a major downside for me. Wish I had the spare change for an EIZO.

Good review either way though, looks nice on your desk.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by pink tone and uneven brightness . I've been using this LCD for the last couple of weeks and I haven't experienced any issues (knocks on wood three times). The only thing I can say as negative about the display is that it does tend to generate a bit more heat that I'm accustomed too, but then I've never owned a 24" panel before :/

d1zg1.jpg

I'm not sure what you guys mean by pink tone and uneven brightness . I've been using this LCD for the last couple of weeks and I haven't experienced any issues (knocks on wood three times). The only thing I can say as negative about the display is that it does tend to generate a bit more heat that I'm accustomed too, but then I've never owned a 24" panel before :/

In that case the pink tone and brightness is negligible.

too bad this monitor has problems with color.

its a dud like the 2407.

Ok, and what do you think is better?

Btw, I heard the color is better in sRGB mode. Standard "wide gamut" mode for this monitor is best for movies and games.

Very nice view angles (Y) I bought my monitor before the NY and was looking for some DELL's (2407WFP actually) but not found them :( or the price were too hight: $800-900USD, so I got 226CW from Samsung :\

Nice review mate, these are just the kind of posts I like to find about a product if I'm thinking about buying it. I picked up a similar 24" today so can understand your happiness with it too. :)

Any chance I could get a link to the wallpaper in the first screenshot please?

I have the 2408WFP, I've had it for about a month now. I've run Nokia's monitor tester and I see no pink color in any corners. In each corner I do see backlight bleed through but I haven't found ONE 24in LCD that didn't have some backlight bleed through. I hardley notice it since it is very light but if I look for you can see it. On SD movies it doesn't look as good as my IBM 21in CRT. I guess I am having a hard time on certain things since I've been using a CRT for 10 years (at least). This is my first real LCD. I LOVE the size and it is perfect... I can't see any larger then 24in, but that is what I prefer.

Right now I have it hooked up HDMI to DVI dual link adapter but I would love to try DisplayPort or straight HDMI connection. I can't decide if I want the Palit 9600GT 1G or would the screen benfit from a 9800GX2.

What are others using for a video card with this monitor? Card model and memory size if possible :)

thanks

i am using my Dell 2408WFp with 8800gt 512mb :D

mate, is there any reason you are not replying to my post or pm's? Could I have a link to this wallpaper please?

DSC00538.jpg