[Rec] (2007)

Rec_poster.jpg

REC revolves around a television reporter, ?ngela, and her cameraman, Pablo, who cover the night shift in one of Barcelona's local fire stations. The firehouse receives a call from an old lady trapped in her house. When they arrive, and the firemen and the police break down the door, the old lady suddenly attacks and bites one of the policemen, and it is revealed that an unknown but virulent disease is infecting people, causing them to turn into infected cannibals. The police and military quarantines the building and the camera crew is trapped inside, constantly recording the mayhem that ensues.

This is a Spanish Horror in the same style as Blair Witch or Cloverfield.

I had heard good things before i went to see this film, however I was still sceptical as I find the camera perspective does not tend to work, who is going to still be holding it upright and filming while running for their life. To my surprise this film did not suffer from this as much, the camera is put down a few times while the camera man helps out and by then end the camera is the only source of light.

The film is very short at just 78mins however this is a good thing apart from the slightly long opening which tries to show how boring life as a fire fighter is most of the time, the rest of the film rarely slows down.

For a zombie movie it is very down to earth, little explanation is actually given or needs to be.

Where this film shines is in the atmosphere, for most of the film the situation is believable. There are a few jump out scares but most of the film relies on tension.

This film is definitely a breath of fresh air from the Hollywood horrors of late.

8/10

I saw this and its a crazy film that keeps you gripped all the way through and it ended as I thought it would but still its a good addition to the zombie genre and I loved it, weird that I didn't feel weird once through this but my head hurt during times of Cloverfield.

Catch this if you can!

4/5 from me!

Its already been remade called Quarantine which comes out near the end of the year.

Edited by Rappy

edge of your seat stuff. The last 10 minutes has the tension cranked up to UNBEARABLE levels. Scared the **** out of me, those 10 minutes.

Yeah that ending was so creepy!

• 1 month later...

Just saw this a few days ago, its one of the best horror movies I have seen. The final 10 minutes were HELL for me.

good movie, even better for me since I speak Spanish.

like everybody is saying, that last part was scary as F***.

Not to hijack, but in the remake (Quarantine) trailer it looks like Jennifer Carpenter is doing her Emily Rose thing. I do like her in Dexter. Back on topic, is [REC] on video yet? Because I don't mind reading subtitles, and I want to see the original first.

I don't see the need to make an American version, i just saw the trailer and it seems like the ruined it... oh well.

I watched the movie last weekend and it was awesome, it has been a long time since i have been genuinely scared, 5 stars :)

• 1 year later...