Apple Updates the iMac

Then don't junk it. ;) Always good to have a spare computer around.

Or if it like the old iMac I had (a CRT one) once the monitor goes, you pretty much junk the whole computer. :(

It's like TV's with built-in DVD players - just something else to go wrong and break after several years. It partly the reason I bought a Mini over an iMac. (not to mention I already had 2 monitors connected to my PC).

I do like the 24" iMac though; the 20" models use the same cheap TN panels that I can buy for my PC all day long, but at least the 24" uses IPS.

The top model is a mid-range computer (thanks to the graphics card) priced like an ultra-high end. The other models are budget computers priced like high-end computars. End of story.

From Wikipedia.org

Montevina platform (2008)

The code-name Montevina refers to the fifth-generation Centrino platform, now formally named Centrino 2 to avoid confusion with previous Centrino platforms. It is scheduled for release at Computex Taipei 2008, taking place on June 3-7, 2008[8]. Montevina will support Penryn, Intel's 45nm die-shrink version of Core 2 processors. On the 28th of April 2008, Apple has released new iMacs with the Montevina platform. It's the first PC with this chipset, appearing before the official scheduled release by Intel.

The major difference in this case between PeeCees and iMacs is you wont need to upgrade an iMac for 7+ years, a PC you need to upgrade everytime a new operating system comes out

What is your definition of not having to upgrade? Apple sold 800Mhz iMacs as late as 2003, those won't run Leopard as the system requirements state 867Mhz as the minimum (and that's only the minimum). Mac Minis sold in 2005 had 256MB of RAM as the default config, once again Leopard requires 512MB - these merely 3 year old systems need an upgrade for the new operating system.

iBooks through spring 2003 had G3s, they won't run Leopard. And the base model of the G4 version was 800Mhz (though you could get faster chips), and shipped with 256MB of RAM. The PowerBook would be a similar story, it would just have been Leopard-capable a bit sooner (same for PowerMacs, however in both cases you won't be running Leopard on a 7 year old Mac).

I'm saying that Apples current OS sets like Panther, Tiger and Leopard are all pretty much the same in the long run, and you wont realistically have to upgrade if you can do everything you need out of your computer with what you've got. After all, Macs dont slow down after months of use like Windows does.

For PeeCee users i'm sure a lot of you will understand the Vista XP thing, some people upgrade, others dont but overall it's not necessary.

@kraized

ha, never to early on a Monday.

how well can the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO run 1920x1200 resolution when it's not used at all for gaming? I never buy ati cards anymore so I'm not too sure how good they are.

It'll run everything fine. I wouldn't worry at all if you plan on doing GPU intensive work (Aperture, Final Cut).

@kraized

Wish I could join you but I'm still stuck in work. :(

From Wikipedia.org

Montevina platform (2008)

The code-name Montevina refers to the fifth-generation Centrino platform, now formally named Centrino 2 to avoid confusion with previous Centrino platforms. It is scheduled for release at Computex Taipei 2008, taking place on June 3-7, 2008[8]. Montevina will support Penryn, Intel's 45nm die-shrink version of Core 2 processors. On the 28th of April 2008, Apple has released new iMacs with the Montevina platform. It's the first PC with this chipset, appearing before the official scheduled release by Intel.

Thanks for the info.

I'm saying that Apples current OS sets like Panther, Tiger and Leopard are all pretty much the same in the long run, and you wont realistically have to upgrade if you can do everything you need out of your computer with what you've got. After all, Macs dont slow down after months of use like Windows does.

For PeeCee users i'm sure a lot of you will understand the Vista XP thing, some people upgrade, others dont but overall it's not necessary.

@kraized

I ran XP for almost 3 years, without a reformat - only gave a BSOD a handful of times. That's better than I can say for Vista or Leopard, and additionally, Leopard did cause some grief for our graphics dept. when updated from Tiger.

My only beef with Vista, has been the highish system requirements - if you have at least a dual-core and 2+ GB, it runs like butter, but I feel the same with Leopard.

As for Leopard, it's gives me nothing but grief with Samba and Bluetooth.

And then there is Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit, where even something like setting up the wifi card on my laptop has been a chore.

Moral of the story: all OS' suck.

@kraized

Well that depends if you get the new OS then that is an upgrade. Either way you spend money on Apple if you keep the same hardware you spend $130 on a service pack when you could just get a whole new Mac.

@kraized

What exactly was your point then? Why the 'PeeCee' venom?

You concede that you can run an old OS as long as it meets your needs on both platforms. And in both cases you'll have to upgrade if you want to run something particularly bleeding edge.

Holy. Crap.

I need to sell my iMac ASAP and buy the biggest one, along with 4GB of 800mhz memory. Talk about powerful :p

I'm also waiting on them to update these Macbooks. I need the aluminum cover and better specs, but this is another story.

I don't know, how much would you pay for it? ;)

At first I was very decided to change it but my friend convinced me that I should stay with this one for another while, so I have mixed feelings.... yeah, I do have feelings about a computer :)

Oh wait, I changed my sig a while ago, so you don't even know the specs hahaa

/me hands kraized a pint of Stella in celebration of the new iMac

Cheers dude. :D :pint: