Apple Updates the iMac

New iMacs running an overclocked Penryn chip, not Montevina.

Following this morning's iMac introduction, speculation has been rampant as to whether Apple got an early shot at Intel's upcoming Core 2 Duo Extreme X9100 chip. The X9100 is meant to usher in the "Montevina" Centrino 2 era, and boasts significant less power consumption than its forebears, in addition to those spiffy new clock speeds. Well, it turns out the new iMacs aren't Montevina, but instead a special-made 45nm Penryn 3.06GHz chip with a 1066MHz frontside bus. That means most of the juice of the X9100, but at 55 watts instead of 44. This chip exclusivity has been a bit of a pattern with Apple, and one which we're sure its competitors are quite appreciative of.

Source: Engadget | Electronista | TGDaily

I thought Apple was known for underclocking the processors, not overclocking them.

Apple didnt overclock it. Intel did. :p

so whats the tdp of the 'custom' 3.06?

Top dollar price? I configured the top-end model for about $2,599 (including academic discount) to include the 3.06 GHz processor, 4 GB of memory and a 1 TB hard drive.

Top dollar price? I configured the top-end model for about $2,599 (including academic discount) to include the 3.06 GHz processor, 4 GB of memory and a 1 TB hard drive.

nah, i meant thermal design power :laugh:

so yeah, i got it today and i'm using it right now. this thing is huge compared to the 20" monitor i'm used to. anyways, it's running great with 2gb of ram. i can't wait until tomorrow though when my 4gb of ram comes.

Why aren't they that cheap over here?! ?600?! You lucky gits!

$1,199 = 605 pounds. So actually, it's cheaper for you;))

Big. I'd get a better mouse next ;)

i know. that's why i didn't waste money on the wireless mighty mouse. i don't really like them at all. I will get a new one eventually. i'm going to see if this grows on me at all.

so yeah, i got it today and i'm using it right now. this thing is huge compared to the 20" monitor i'm used to. anyways, it's running great with 2gb of ram. i can't wait until tomorrow though when my 4gb of ram comes.

Nice man, I assume you got the 3ghz? I placed my order today. Btw, where did you order your ram from as I'm guessing you didn't get it from Apple.

I've been dying to replace my 20" 2ghz Core Duo, ATI 1600 128mb.. god this thing sucks lol

Nice man, I assume you got the 3ghz? I placed my order today. Btw, where did you order your ram from as I'm guessing you didn't get it from Apple.

I've been dying to replace my 20" 2ghz Core Duo, ATI 1600 128mb.. god this thing sucks lol

I got the 2.8hz. And I did order it through Apple. I did the free shipping option too and it got to my house in 2 days.

How'd you get them to ship it without the ram?

I got the ram from newegg. 4gb cost $100. the upgrade from 2 to 4 gb from apple costs $200. So i just kept the 2gb standard from them and I will sell it.

I read your post wrong and didn't notice you mentioned the ram specifically. sorry.

Dunno if you found the same as me but the built in speakers on the iMac are surprisingly good (and bassy!) considering how discreet they are!

Ordered my iMac - the 24" 2.8GHz model with an upped HDD to 500GB. Expected to be with me 14th May :( So lonnng!!