Opinion: Nintendo may have no option but to make the Wii cheaper

Wii price point  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nintendo need to cut the price soon?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you like Nintendo to cut the price soon?

• Yes
    • No

Yep, standard audioboxer news item.

:)

And what exactly do you mean by that?

Maybe your Grandparents won't be buying GTA4, but kids will be. I expect a lot of Wii's are getting shunned right now for GTA4.

The thing is Nintendo have cornered themselves into a market - One which they are on fire in, but they don't have much branching out options for the future.

The PS3 and 360 can attack the casual crowd, hardcore crowd, multimedia buffs (films/tvshows) and also are the two consoles that compliment any HDTV you buy.

A lot of the media spotlights will be on the PS3 and 360 this year as opposed to the Wii, Nintendo have rifled through the exclusives as of late, I don't know outside of AC what else is coming this year? Obviously AC is a huge title though...

I just think the steam train that is the Wii is going to slow down as the other two pickup. I'll stand by my belief that after this generation is dead (it carries on until every console is out of retail), the Wii may be in last.

I don't think it will keep going for 6/7/8/9/10 years, and a huge part of that is due to the online and technical side of things.

The Wii could have been made HD and sold for ?200-?250 and it would have still sold like hotcakes and would have been future proof.

IF I am not interested in gta4 then there are other 26 and older people not wanting gta also. Maybe its the fact that i am always so busy with work but games like wii sports are perfect for me since I seem to only have 20 min or so for gaming a day.

Also a big thing is games that my gf can play. Most of my non working time is with her and she loves games like wii sports so if I can get her to play games like wii sports thats a huge thing.

Like I stated there is a huge market for the wii. a market that the ps3 and 360 is not doing a good job of enticing.

sad life you lead then

It was a joke.

IF I am not interested in gta4 then there are other 26 and older people not wanting gta also. Maybe its the fact that i am always so busy with work but games like wii sports are perfect for me since I seem to only have 20 min or so for gaming a day.

Also a big thing is games that my gf can play. Most of my non working time is with her and she loves games like wii sports so if I can get her to play games like wii sports thats a huge thing.

Like I stated there is a huge market for the wii. a market that the ps3 and 360 is not doing a good job of enticing.

I know, I do agree.

It's great the Wii has filled a gaming area for people like yourself.

I don't think they need to drop the price even though here Wii's are available at any store you walk into in large quantities. What they really need to do is bolster the game catalog, something which Nintendo has struggled to do for some time, especially with regards to getting A+ titles from 3rd party developers.

Had my Wii since Xmas and I only own Zelda, Mario kart and Mario Galaxy (barring the free wii sports and brain training which were free and I have no interest in). Now those three were worth the console alone IMHO but I'd have also bought more had they been readily available.

Nintendo also has to sit down and rethink it's release strategy. It's ridiculous that in todays market something like Smash Bros could be released over a month or two ago in one English speaking continent and still be a month or two out from release in another. For a game thats supposed to be a big console pusher for Nintendo they sure don't seem eager to get it out to consumers.

Aside from xmas time, the Wii is readily available over here, so I think they could easily drop the price and be more competitive with the 360 Arcade.

I agree with Smigit though on the game front, 110%. Basically why I sold my Wii in the end. The time between the triple A titles is inexcusable, my console was just collecting dust (N)

I'll probably sell the new one after Smash Bros too :s

Well, I don't know about my brother's opinion (he's 17, I'm 24), but we went in on a Wii together, as we agreed to do when the release was announced, and I wouldn't dream of selling it. Baroque, Prime 3, Twilight Princess, No More Heroes, and GH3 are more than enough to keep me interested. And the lack of HD doesn't bother me at all, despite the fact that I do own an HDTV.

As for the price, I think they could stand to drop it to $200, only because every Ninty console released in the past was sold at $200 and it would be keeping with the pattern. I have no problem with the $250 price point, though.

The other thing to consider is that, whether for my stated reasons in my sig or for other reasons, I and some others are simply not interested in the other consoles, and thus the price competition won't help MS and Sony. I know a bloke who adamantly refuses to own any console not made by Nintendo, apparently "just because." While I think it's a little silly to discount the other consoles without specific reasons, those people are out there. For them, to whom it's Nintendo or nothing, it's more a matter of when to buy their console of choice rather than which console to buy.

They dont need a price cut, they need to make it in another damn color for once. The color is the only thing keeping me from getting one.

If they were cheaper and had a greater range of games, I'd consider one. The other two don't interest me much, I'm not a fan of games that are all dark and serious and require serious commitments ...

It should be all 3. But Nintendo failed..

Why should they be?

I define games as violent forms of entertainment for boys and men aged 14 to 35, therefore the Wii is dumb and a novel toy.

Narrow view indeed, but I guess you were not serious.

It should be all 3. But Nintendo failed..

No, it just had to be fun. So they seem to have succeeded far more than even they expected. Since the casual user demographic eclipses the "gamer" demographic, they have many more possible customers than Sony and MS combined.

Sure, the Wii is fun, but you're gonna lag behind if you want to play games with the best graphics, etc.

The PS3 and 360 blow the Wii in specs, and I wouldn't justify forking out money for something which is lagging behind competition.

Either pre-orders, or the "hold back on stock" syndrome the Wii cherishes to advance hype through the ceiling.

They need more hype? They've outsold everyone, console and portable. Who are they holding stock for, the aliens who are going to visit soon? What possible need would they have to create hype? Was Sony holding back stock to create hype? Let's assume they did. Did it work for them, or can you find a PS3 in any store you visit now?

Why should they be?

Why shouldn't they more like. The more groups they appeal to, the more money in return. Even Reggie has said they need more mature games on the Wii and realises there is a large gap missing from Nintendo's lineup.

No, it just had to be fun. So they seem to have succeeded far more than even they expected. Since the casual user demographic eclipses the "gamer" demographic, they have many more possible customers than Sony and MS combined.

Who says casual gamers always want to play mini-collection styled games? Casual gamers come in a large variety themselves, and XBLA and PSN are examples of that. Let us not forget the Wii has sold the most hardware, not software ;)

The attach rate of software on the Wii is pathetic at best :no:

They need more hype? They've outsold everyone, console and portable. Who are they holding stock for, the aliens who are going to visit soon? What possible need would they have to create hype? Was Sony holding back stock to create hype? Let's assume they did. Did it work for them, or can you find a PS3 in any store you visit now?

I was just asking james why he claimed their store was holding back stock and I could only think of two reasons...

No need to look that deep into it, who really cares what Nintendo does its working. The hype factor is something they want to keep sky high and more, if they can keep doing it.

The attach rate of software on the Wii is pathetic at best :no:

I don't think it will be that bad.

However what is bad is the shovelware mounting up.

I read a statistic the other day stating only 11% of Wii games score over 70 or 80% it was - Think it was 80.

Developers need to start treating it better, fair enough a lot of the audience will buy crap as they don't know better, so the onus is on many developers to stop creating bollocks games on the Wii.

I know you'll always get bad titles, but there are some fairly well known developers/respectable developers making crap for the Wii.

I don't think it will be that bad.

However what is bad is the shovelware mounting up.

I read a statistic the other day stating only 11% of Wii games score over 70 or 80% it was - Think it was 80.

Developers need to start treating it better, fair enough a lot of the audience will buy crap as they don't know better, so the onus is on many developers to stop creating bollocks games on the Wii.

I know you'll always get bad titles, but there are some fairly well known developers/respectable developers making crap for the Wii.

It is that bad, believe me. I even posted news on it sometime last year. For the amount of hardware Nintendo is selling, its just embarassing how little software is sold along with it. I think it was 60% or more Wii owners play nothing but WiiSports.

I know from owning one myself for over a year I only bought 5 games. Like you said, the majority released on the console is shovelware, and not only that but ports too. Sadly I don't see it getting better anytime soon with all the "big games" already released (with Smash Bros still to come for us) and a possible Animal Crossing title in the Winter. What's to look forward to?

Out of interest how many Wii games have you bought Audio?

It is that bad, believe me. I even posted news on it sometime last year. For the amount of hardware Nintendo is selling, its just embarassing how little software is sold along with it. I think it was 60% or more Wii owners play nothing but WiiSports.

I know from owning one myself for over a year I only bought 5 games. Like you said, the majority released on the console is shovelware, and not only that but ports too. Sadly I don't see it getting better anytime soon with all the "big games" already released (with Smash Bros still to come for us) and a possible Animal Crossing title in the Winter. What's to look forward to?

Out of interest how many Wii games have you bought Audio?

GH3, Wii Play to get 2nd remote, SMG and Mario Kart to get controller wheel. I would of preferred GH3 on PS3/360 but I was lured by custom soundtracks.

I'm getting RB for either the PS3 or 360 anyway.

So 4... I do own Wii Sports though, but that came with the console.

edit: I've got Zelda as well which was given to me by a mate when he sold his Wii which he made a fortune on anyway - He lost the box for it, so just gave me the disc. I never completed it :/ Not my fav Zelda.

Edited by Audioboxer

Ok 6 games for a best selling console? Not very good imo, and you aren't exactly a hardcore gamer 24/7, you like casual gaming too like myself. It just goes to show Nintendo aren't doing as well as the hype/press make out.

I can name around 20 games I want on the 360 (a lot of which are coming to the PS3 as well). That's half my collection. I just looked at Eurogamer's preview section for the Wii and since December, there has been 5 entries..

But this is going off topic from hardware so :p

The other thing to consider is that, whether for my stated reasons in my sig or for other reasons, I and some others are simply not interested in the other consoles, and thus the price competition won't help MS and Sony. I know a bloke who adamantly refuses to own any console not made by Nintendo, apparently "just because." While I think it's a little silly to discount the other consoles without specific reasons, those people are out there. For them, to whom it's Nintendo or nothing, it's more a matter of when to buy their console of choice rather than which console to buy.

I will not buy an Xbox 360 until it has a hit game written in OpenGL.

Why does it matter what it was written in? A game is a game...

Ok 6 games for a best selling console? Not very good imo, and you aren't exactly a hardcore gamer 24/7, you like casual gaming too like myself. It just goes to show Nintendo aren't doing as well as the hype/press make out.

I can name around 20 games I want on the 360 (a lot of which are coming to the PS3 as well). That's half my collection. I just looked at Eurogamer's preview section for the Wii and since December, there has been 5 entries..

But this is going off topic from hardware so :p

Yeah pickup and play stuff is good after a hard day... but so is jacking cars in GTA4 :p

AC will have me hooked to my Wii for a while though, it did on my DS.

I just hope it's not too much like a MMO, and I hope it's not like the FF game that's been released on the Wii where half the game is paid DLC :pinch:

Why does it matter what it was written in? A game is a game...

Yeah :laugh:

I'm sure Celtic has his reasons, buy my it's the strangest reason I've come across someone not wanting to play a game.

That's the most silliest reason ever for not buying a console. You're playing it, not developing for it..

Anyway, I own 9 titles for Wii:

Wii Sports

Wii Play

Mario Kart Wii

Red Steel

Zelda TP

Super Mario Galaxy

Wario Ware Smooth Moves

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam

But if I was able to get all the games I wanted, it'd at least double that number:

Prime 3

Okami

Eledees

Zack and Wiki

Metal Slug Anthology

Wii Fit

Mortal Kombat Armageddon

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics

Bully, Endless Ocean

Super Mario Strikers

No More Heroes

Resi Evil 4

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Super Paper Mario

House of the Dead

Tomb Raider Anniversary

Trauma Center: Second Opinion

Link's Crossbow Training (w/ Wii Zapper)

Damn, that's more then I expected...

EDIT: Anyway, Nintendo might have to drop it in Q3, but somehow I don't see it happening. It's still flying off shelves and a price drop will only make things worse.

I agree with the majority here; if they're selling like hotcakes, there's no reason to lower the price. If the sales stem because of the new 360 and PS3 releases, they probably will lower it a bit, though.