Games in Vista are sluggish than XP even in low graphics

Vista pretty much requires a dual-core CPU and 2 GB of RAM, if your PC doesn't meet those, I would say don't bother.

Likewise, I never got great performance with a PC, that was barely over the minimum requirements back in 2001 - you need a PC several times the minimum specs to get a good experience. Or you buy a new PC, built for that new OS.

The most demanding game I've run on Vista, is CoD 4, on Vista Business SP1, with an Athlon 64 X2 3800 (overclocked to 4600+), 2 GB DDR, and a Nvidia 6800. It pretty much can only do 800x600, medium details, but it does fine. I'd upgrade the card, but my system is AGP, and I probably spend the money on a PS3 at this point.

And I also don't think Vista is a gamer's OS either - stick with XP.

Vista rocks, It loads in about 20 seconds, start to desktop, games are insanely snappy, all works as it should.

Q6600, 8GB PC6400 Ram, 8800gtx Oc'd to 634 core.... Vista ultimate Sp1 resides on a 36GB raptor, no problems.

edit: forgot the video card

Edited by Triliaeris

Be Gone XP/Apple Fanboy...you're trolling shall not be allowed here.

Vista rocks, It loads in about 20 seconds, start to desktop, games are insanely snappy, all works as it should.

Q6600, 8GB PC6400 Ram, Vista ultimate Sp1 resides on a 36GB raptor, no problems.

Lol..... If I had that system I'd definatley use Vista! Dont suppose you have a spare?

Have you installed the hotfix for virtual memory? Games tend to get slow/crash when they run out of virtual memory on Vista.

Edited by Triliaeris

Vista pretty much requires a dual-core CPU and 2 GB of RAM, if your PC doesn't meet those, I would say don't bother.

Likewise, I never got great performance with a PC, that was barely over the minimum requirements back in 2001 - you need a PC several times the minimum specs to get a good experience. Or you buy a new PC, built for that new OS.

The most demanding game I've run on Vista, is CoD 4, on Vista Business SP1, with an Athlon 64 X2 3800 (overclocked to 4600+), 2 GB DDR, and a Nvidia 6800. It pretty much can only do 800x600, medium details, but it does fine. I'd upgrade the card, but my system is AGP, and I probably spend the money on a PS3 at this point.

And I also don't think Vista is a gamer's OS either - stick with XP.

I ran Cod 4 using vista on my old dell which was a 3.0ghz p4, 2 gb ddr and a ddr2 256mb 7600gs(AGP) with a mix of high and medium at 1440x900 with decent framerates.

I vote taking a can of compressed air and cleaning your computer out... Might even have to open it up and do some cleaning...

The situation to me sounds like an overheating issue...

Vista's 3D acceleration is generally slower than XP's, but that should just mean a framerate loss, not stutters and inconsistencies.

Try running your game in windowed mode along with SpeedFan or Notebook Hardware Control and ATITool (if the X700 has a thermal diode) to keep an eye on the temperatures. If temperatures aren't the issue, when it stutters, pop open the Resource Monitor (from the Performance tab in Task Manager) and see what's eating up CPU and/or Disk time.

Be Gone XP/Apple Fanboy...you're trolling shall not be allowed here.

Q6600, 8GB PC6400 Ram, 8800gtx Oc'd to 634 core.... Vista ultimate Sp1 resides on a 36GB raptor, no problems.

Are you really that dense? No one cares about your e-penis machine nor the fact that it can run Vista, which is a slow bloated os btw otherwise it wouln't need such a system to run well now would it.

To the thread starter: It sounds like a driver issue, probably with the video card. I know you said it's up to date but that doesn't necessarily mean the problem is fixed. It could also be your system overheating as some suggested, get some system monitoring software and make note of your temps. I have also run into some weird stuttering problems a few times and reinstalling directx solved it for me, but that was on XP.

I would really suggest you stay with XP as well or you could dual boot and use XP for gaming.

Fact.

Vista is Hardware Dependant.

Vista is a resource hog.

Vista is not known for it's gaming ability.

Laptops are not meant for gaming.

Good luck with your problem, it may well be a heat issue. With a Laptop there is not much you can do except blow it out. Yelling at people that are trying to help you is not the best approach.

CYA

Edited by Triliaeris

Considering the games play fine for about 30mins before slowing down, it sort of rules out graphics card or CPU limitations (or it wouldn't run ok at all). It does sound to me like you're running out of memory, but you have 2GB so it should be fine. None the less, try closing absolutely EVERYTHING you can and running the game and see what happens.

@Kushan

At least someone that understands what I'm saying... Of course if the problem was on the hardware side, I wouldn't be able to run the games at all, but the fact is, I can run them for a few minutes now and then.

@1941

If you call help to people complaining about my hardware and bitching about it and Vista vs XP... I'll call them stupid posts that don't help at all and are far from being the issue...

@ANova

It's not actually up to date... At least now, but it has been in the past and the same problem occurs. I'll update the drivers (I'm currently running the previous version to the currently available) this weekend but it probably won't make any difference. Actually, I was the first one to suggest that the GPU was overheating... But that makes me thinking, wouldn't that crash the games and/or the OS if it was to hot? And no, I'm not going to stay a way from XP, I love Vista and I can't stand XP anymore. This computer is mainly for University and work and it does fine on that end. But I like to play a bit now and then to ease out the stress. Like I said, I'm not an heavy gamer and I don't need to play every game at maximum performance/quality. I just want to play them without stuttering issues and I can do it on the first few minutes, so why can't I do it during the whole time? That's the issue here...

@random_n

I don't know if the Mobility x700 has a thermal thing, but try to keep an eye on the temperatures and report back. I'm not an expert so you'll probably know if it's too high or not...

@Frazell Thomas

I don't think I'm gonna do that because first, this is a laptop and second, I don't have the tools for that... I can't risk running the laptop, it's the only one I've got and I really need it to work.

@Ledward

Besides SP1, I've always kept updating the latest hotfixes that would come up on Windows Update. If that hotfix was there, than I have it, if it needs to be downloaded and installed manually or if it comes with SP1, than probably I don't. Can you provide a download link and the KB number?

Well yeah but remember that games will generally use more ram the longer you play them (as the load/unload levels and such), not to mention background processes doing the same, so try closing as much as you can (especially sidebar, that thing EATS RAM for breakfast, caught it using 850Mb on me this morning!) and see if the games run any better for longer.

one thing ive learnt is vista is great for everything apart from games. Keep a seperate laptop or desk system , just insall xp sp3 and nothing else and just run all your games on it. Vista is really poor for gaming dunno why but there you go (and this is speaking from experience on a system comparing UT3 in 32 bit xp, 32 bit vista and 64 bit xp) so yes i have gone to great lengths to find out what platform runs games to the max. Rig is dual 8800 in sli , Q6600 quad core, 4GB ram, dual WD Raptors in raid 0.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp....if you want to troll go somewhere else. Don't come into Vista threads just to say Vista sucks.

Thread Cleaned

@Nazgulled

I suggest you do everything to reduce hard drive activity.

* disable system restore

* disable indexing

* set power mode to "performance" instead of balanced.

* disable "terminal services", this service indirectly induce hard drive activity

* in task manager/ processes tab , you can add the columns I/O Read bytes/ I/0 writes bytes.

This way you can locate any process that induces unusual hard drive activity.

* defragment

* use SP1

* use an antivirus "light" in ressources like NOD32/kaspersky/avast

That is an AWESOME commentary! I'd like to tattoo it on the inside of a bunch of peoples eyelids. :)

I'm speechless on how fantastically great that commentary was.

I'm speechless on how fantastically great that commentary was.

Well, there might be hypocrisy around vista bashing ...

But:

* it's good to promote competitors , we want competition !

* if lot of people complain, Microsoft might improve Vista (with SP) or it next OS.

* it's boring that Microsoft doesn't pay much attention to what customers expect.

* what is the amount of performance loss, because of DRM ? No one really knows, and prove it's just FUD.

* Vista is good ! but for what is does, lot of people might just prefer the less resource hungry XP.

* I don't care if MACS sucks much more .... I might still prefer XP.

* Some people are truly disappointed by Vista.

I'll keep this topic in my bookmarks for now cause in the next week I might have some days off and I'll probably do a clean install of Vista SP1 and go from there...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Disable superfetch and it will help a lot...

Natural order of the things says that Vista should outperform XP with newest hardware etc..which is not a case. Windows XP works better on newest hardware then Vista.

From 'hardware' point of view going to Vista is actually downgrading your computer compared to XP. Of course there is DX10.0 which runs much slower then DX9 API for the visual things you can't even notice. Heck...whole Crysis fiasco showed that with tweaks DX9.0 API can show all those goodies and give you better performance. So, what's DX10.0 all about? Nothing to worry about for the next 3 years before which Vista is going to be in garbage of PC history.

Vista doesn't offers a lot worth upgrading from XP. And those things Microsoft did such as AERO etc are the features needed to be there long time ago, the bottom line they are catching up with MacOS.

Edited by jjrambo