Games in Vista are sluggish than XP even in low graphics

This is a personal experience I had with Vista. My older desktop was an Amd 4000+ 1GB ram Ati x1950xt 512mb 250GB hdd on a Mini atx nvidia 430. XP ram very good on it. Vista was so slow I could not game like I did on xp even CS was laggy. Om my old laptop was an Amd turon 1.8 GHz 1GB ram ati 200M 128mb video WD 60GB it ran xp fine and games ok. On Vista it was a little slower but on games it was the same. So I think just some hardware does not work with Vista. My new system in my sig I have Vista 64 bit but before I tested it out I put XP on it and it was fast then I went Vista and it was about the same. Then I went Vista 64 bit and it was faster than XP and it gamed the same or better it even got a higher 3dmark 03-06 score.

I thing SP1 fix allot of crap I had last year so if SP1 works keep Vista if not just go back to XP.

This is a personal experience I had with Vista. My older desktop was an Amd 4000+ 1GB ram Ati x1950xt 512mb 250GB hdd on a Mini atx nvidia 430. XP ram very good on it. Vista was so slow I could not game like I did on xp even CS was laggy. Om my old laptop was an Amd turon 1.8 GHz 1GB ram ati 200M 128mb video WD 60GB it ran xp fine and games ok. On Vista it was a little slower but on games it was the same. So I think just some hardware does not work with Vista. My new system in my sig I have Vista 64 bit but before I tested it out I put XP on it and it was fast then I went Vista and it was about the same. Then I went Vista 64 bit and it was faster than XP and it gamed the same or better it even got a higher 3dmark 03-06 score.

I thing SP1 fix allot of crap I had last year so if SP1 works keep Vista if not just go back to XP.

Yeah I think right now it comes down to some older drivers don't work well. I had a system lower speced than your 4000+; 3.0ghz p4, 2gb ram (Used it with one for a while and it was alright) and a 7600gs and cs played fine full settings and that card is way worse than an x1950.

anyway at the OP what are the temps of your video card while playing, it kind of sounds like and overheating issue to me since the games play smoothly at first.

Edited by Triliaeris

Lol my system high spec. The system alone only coast about $800 that is cheap my cpu is cheap but I did overclock it.

Yeah I think right now it comes down to some older drivers don't work well. I had a system lower speced than your 4000+; 3.0ghz p4, 2gb ram (Used it with one for a while and it was alright) and a 7600gs and cs played fine full settings and that card is way worse than an x1950.

Yea it sucked I spent $220 on that card to replace a 6800GS and it was only a tad faster in Vista. But I think it was my motherboard and DDR 400 ram.

Edited by Triliaeris

Vista is OK. Unfortunately, it comes with so many added bloat that may cripple a system after a while.

Here's what I did to enable 'decent' gameplay on my Dell M1330. What works for me may not work for you, so give it a try and test it out.

1. Remove components via VLite and do a clean install.

2. Use the latest and official drivers.

3. Create shortcuts for the games you intend to play. Disable desktop composition via shortcut properties.

4. I'm not sure about Ati but for Nvidia, setting the option to let the 3D application decide helps. Sometimes, setting it to performance is better, sometimes it doesn't.

5. Make sure your current power plan is set to 'High Performance' when you start gaming. Setting it to any other means Vista will throttle the CPU to prolong battery life.

6. Its preferable that you play the game at your LCD's native resolution. However, gameplay may suffer especially with newer and more taxing games. If lowering settings doesn't help, setting the resolution a notch lower whilst trying to maintain the correct aspect ratio may yield better results. In fact, playing at a resolution a notch lower at high settings may prove to be even better.

7. Install the Virtual Game memory patch from Microsoft for pre-SP1 Vista.

8. Turning off Superfetch doesn't give a performance boost to me but give it a try. Who knows, it may work for you.

1) Please stop discussing Vista and if it's poorly written... There are threads for that and I could care less about you all think about Vista. I like it, I use my system mostly for work and I prefer Vista over XP and that's all that matters to me. If I want, I can go bash your opinions in threads that discuss Vista. Not this one.

2) I won't do much testing before doing a clean install with SP1 so you can stop making suggestions for now. The only thing I'll do (when I get the chance) is to monitor the temperatures when I play. Is there any application for that that automatically creates logs/reports of the temperature? That would be nice... If not, I'll have to manually monitor...

OP: Have you tried using Task Manager to track this?

Launch Task Manager. Go to the Processes tab. Click Show Processes from all users. Go to View:Select Columns. Make sure Memory (Private Working Set), Commit Size, Handles, Theaders, and GDI Objects are on. Now go play your crazy game. When things start bogging down -- who's being piggish?

I like the notion that it's Indexing or some other background service. But Task Manager might be illuminative. If not, 1941 had a bunch of great references.

Is there any application for that that automatically creates logs/reports of the temperature? That would be nice... If not, I'll have to manually monitor...

There's "EVEREST Ultimate Edition" that offers a vista sidebar gadget to show temperature of motherboard/ cpu in real time.

Not free.

@1941

I don't think none of those allows me to monitor the GPU temperature... I tried ATi Tray Tools but the GPU monitor options are not enable so I guess my card doesn't have the chip required to monitor the temperature.

@zachdms

"When things start bogging down -- who's being piggish?" - What do you mean? What exactly should I be looking for?

@1941

I don't think none of those allows me to monitor the GPU temperature... I tried ATi Tray Tools but the GPU monitor options are not enable so I guess my card doesn't have the chip required to monitor the temperature.

@zachdms

"When things start bogging down -- who's being piggish?" - What do you mean? What exactly should I be looking for?

HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.

The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE? IT87 series, most Winbond? ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.Tand video card GPU temperature.b>

Special hardware monitors such as abit? uGuru and Gigabyte? ODIN? power supplies serie are supported too.