MS: Sony has failed to deliver on promises

Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg says "the days of Sony snowing the consumers and the press are over," that the company has failed to deliver on numerous promises, and challenges Sony's latest European PS3 sales figures.

"We have been fighting Sony's promises from the day we entered the market," Greenberg told Destructoid. "Three years ago at E3 they showed what PS3 games would supposedly look like with the Killzone 2 video, that we are now learning will ship four years later. That means that we will have shipped Gears of War and Gears of War 2 before they can even get Killzone out the door.

"Think back to GDC 2007 when Sony promised to leap ahead in online with the Sony Home unveil. Here we are two years later and multiple delays for a product that appears to have little to no buzz. Where are the achievements? The friends list integration across all games? Where is the long-promised video store? Where are all the other products using and networking with their CELL chip? How come Blu-ray did not result in better games? What happened with Sixaxis and rumble? Where is the complete 1080p game library we were promised? If Blu-ray as they said would be such a catalyst to PS3 console sales, then why have PS3 sales over the past couple of months not seen any lift since the format victory?"

According to Greenberg, "Xbox 360 is leading this generation" with a greater installed base, more than double the software library, the most exclusives and the leading online service and community. He said that Microsoft has more up its sleeve to reveal later this year and that he's confident Xbox 360 will extend its lead over PS3 during 2008. Greenberg said Microsoft's Xbox 360 currently commands a five million unit lead over PS3 on a global basis, has double the installed base in the US, based on NPD data, and over a one million unit lead across Europe, based on figures from ChartTrack and GfK.

In contrast, earlier this week Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president David Reeves said that PS3 sales had surpassed those of Xbox 360 in Europe.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188658

They have delayed a lot within the first year of service, but it's still early days for the PS3 on the 10 year plan Sony talk about - We'll see if the delays will have much impact over the next year or two with what the install base hits.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with everything he's saying, but this sounds like some rant a console fanatic on forum would go on about, as opposed to someone from MS.

By the way, one interesting thing in this article is MS say they are 5 million units ahead of Sony, which means some of the estimations flying around the net have to be inflated.

I've seen people saying 19 million for the Xbox, which would mean the PS3 was at 14 million, which I doubt very much.

Its just MS playing the same trick they always do when they are feeling the pressure. Sony also do the same. Any real gamer should take no notice of this, at all.

5 million difference with 1 year plus on the shelf. That really must be hurting MS.

Funny thing is, he's right.

Funny? Not really.

He is right about a couple of things, yes. The way he goes about it is like a deranged fanboy (not too dissimilar to people on here)

Funny? Not really.

He is right about a couple of things, yes. The way he goes about it is like a deranged fanboy (not too dissimilar to people on here)

no, it's a rant yeah, but is clear, concise and logical and it's facts.

deranged fanboys are the ones who goes and says that the 360 can't do 1080p, you need bluRay for nextgen(current gen) games, you can't do 1080p without blu-ray. that'd be deranged fanbout crap.

this guy is just giving a press conference defating rumours and false "facts" that sony has been pushing. Both sides lie and boths sides brag over esctatically about their console, but you can't dey that Sony is by far the worst at lying and over exagarrating about their console.

It would be nice if both sides would stop with the lying, both abotu their own and the competition, but will it happen.. no. does this lying from official sources fuel fanboy wars, oh yeah.

was your comment espcially the part in paranthesis inciting more flames, yeah, wich makes your whole post go against itself.

Why is this in 'Sony Console'? Also Nintendo is leading this generation. :p

Because it's to do with the PS3?

The way he goes about it is like a deranged fanboy (not too dissimilar to people on here)

He spoke about cold hard facts without insulting anyone. Get over it.

Its just MS playing the same trick they always do when they are feeling the pressure. Sony also do the same. Any real gamer should take no notice of this, at all.

5 million difference with 1 year plus on the shelf. That really must be hurting MS.

Funny? Not really.

You need to know two words to believe this guys is right : Ken Kutaragi

no, it's a rant yeah, but is clear, concise and logical and it's facts.

deranged fanboys are the ones who goes and says that the 360 can't do 1080p, you need bluRay for nextgen(current gen) games, you can't do 1080p without blu-ray. that'd be deranged fanbout crap.

this guy is just giving a press conference defating rumours and false "facts" that sony has been pushing. Both sides lie and boths sides brag over esctatically about their console, but you can't dey that Sony is by far the worst at lying and over exagarrating about their console.

It would be nice if both sides would stop with the lying, both abotu their own and the competition, but will it happen.. no. does this lying from official sources fuel fanboy wars, oh yeah.

was your comment espcially the part in paranthesis inciting more flames, yeah, wich makes your whole post go against itself.

Inciting more flames? Not all.

I just see this as a pathetic outburst in answer to the fact that Sonys PS3 is still outselling the 360.

I'm quite sure Sony would do the same.

I've seen people saying 19 million for the Xbox, which would mean the PS3 was at 14 million, which I doubt very much.

I dunno why you'd doubt that. MS stated 19 million during March NPD, and I've seen 13 million fly around for Sony's numbers, so 14's not way off. If anything the PS3 estimates I've seen have been understated.

I can't say I disagree with anything he's said. I mean, you guys were supposed to have Home now. They say they're keeping it to improve it, but you were supposed to get an open BETA. The point of a beta is to get feedback so you can improve the thing.

You also missed bolding the part where he says they're in the lead in Europe. That's interesting. Probably won't know who's right, but I'd tend to believe MS, solely because the 360 was released a year earlier (that's not a slam on Sony).

But you know, it's nothing new, Sony not delivering on their promises. They've gotten better about it since the PS3 launched, but it's still kind of ridiculous.

-Spenser

He spoke about cold hard facts without insulting anyone. Get over it.

Not everything said is "cold hard facts".

A lot of the things are coming, MS are just having a dig that they aren't in yet.

I mean Sony have given no indication of when a video store is coming, yet MS are firing off at them for it not being out yet.

Also

If Blu-ray as they said would be such a catalyst to PS3 console sales, then why have PS3 sales over the past couple of months not seen any lift since the format victory?"

Uhh the PS3 lead the sales over the 360 for the first few months of the year and sales are up this year in comparison to last.

So I don't know how there is a cold hard fact there.

A lot of the things are coming, MS are just having a dig that they aren't in yet.

I mean Sony have given no indication of when a video store is coming, yet MS are firing off at them for it not being out yet.

That's the whole point right there. They're always coming... they have been for years now.

@Audio - He didn't compare this year to last. He compared this year to when Bluray won. And there hasn't been a jump in sales month after month. And in fact there's been a decrease. The way Sony was touting the PS3 as a Bluray player, any average person would've expected sales of the PS3 to steadily increase now that it's format won. Sony certainly keeps thinking it will.

-Spenser

Why is this in 'Sony Console'? Also Nintendo is leading this generation. :p

nintendo leads on sold consoles.

on actual numbers like revenue and total poducts they're way behind.

Haha, this is what most of his statement was all about, everything is 'coming' and has been for a freakin' year now.

That's the whole point right there. They're always coming... they have been for years now.

And? (I'm being blunt, I know delays aren't exactly things to celebrate)

Some people will wait, others wont.

How is it years as well, if the PS3 has only been out just over a year?

Haha, this is what most of his statement was all about, everything is 'coming' and has been for a freakin' year now.

On a 10 year cycle I doubt it's causing Sony to panic all that much.

The PS3 isn't selling horrendously, infact it's sold better than the 360 in it's first year, and is either on track with the PS2 sales or just behind/in front.

What matters is where you're at at the end of the race - Sony harp on about their 10 year cycle, and so far they're the only ones who do so, and the only ones who have kept to it for each generation (PS2 is nearing 10 years now).

On a 10 year cycle I doubt it's causing Sony to panic all that much.

The PS3 isn't selling horrendously, infact it's sold better than the 360 in it's first year, and is either on track with the PS2 sales or just behind/in front.

What matters is where you're at at the end of the race - Sony harp on about their 10 year cycle, and so far they're the only ones who do so, and the only ones who have kept to it for each generation (PS2 is nearing 10 years now).

"years" because even PS3 was "coming" for years...

That's because of the "Kutaragi Factor". They (Sony) started the hype campaign well before the PS3 came out. Promise after promise and still we wait.

nintendo leads on sold consoles.

on actual numbers like revenue and total poducts they're way behind.

Heh. If you want to talk revenue, month after month Microsoft is bringing in more revenue than the PS3 and Wii combined. Now that's impressive.

But I digress, that's really nothing to do with what Greenberg is saying here.

And Audio, I really don't think the PS3 is going to last 10 years, and I think you'd be naive to believe Sony on that one. I'd give it 6, 7 tops (but that's pushing it). People will be demanding something new by then and if Sony doesn't deliver, they'll go right downhill. Not to mention that, as the 360 is as technically advanced as the PS3 (minus Bluray player), the 360 will be able to last just as long.

-Spenser

"years" because even PS3 was "coming" for years...

What?

The only delays consumers experience are ones that affect us after release/purchase.

How am I affected by any delay prior to the launch of the PS3 unless the actual launch itself is delayed? :/

And if you're going to comment on them launching last/not first, they did so with the PS1 (Saturn) and the PS2 (Dreamcast) as well.

You're really grasping at straws with that comment I think.

I wonder if Microsoft count the replacement consoles for people that suffered the RRoD.

gee Microsoft, after reading that Im going to buy an Xbox 360.... With your expensive online service, crap community feautures, no Blu-ray and RRoD. I dont see any future goals for the Xbox 360. Its going stagnent.

I went through 4 xbox consoles included the stupid elite model and IM NEVER BUYING AN XBOX 360 EVER AGAIN.

Long live the PS3.

That's because of the "Kutaragi Factor". They (Sony) started the hype campaign well before the PS3 came out. Promise after promise and still we wait.

And you wouldn't expect them to hype the product to the high heavens prior to launch?

Ken Kutaragi isn't in charge anymore for a reason, he talked too much nonsense, not going to disagree with that.

However it seems a lot of you who are "most upset" about waiting for certain features, either don't own a PS3, don't want a PS3 or actually couldn't care less.

The rest of us, while annoyed when things don't launch on time, spend our time enjoying what we can just now, which is a lot, and believe expectations will be met like they were the last two generations.

If they aren't met in the end, that will do the ultimate damage to Sony, not delays early on in the consoles life span. People are more likely to forgive Sony for the early delays if things totally meet expectations, than they will if the PS3 isn't doing what it should be towards the end of the race.

I guess you chose to believe or not believe they'll get there (not necessarily winning, but just meeting all they said they will do).

It's amusing to see the quick Sony defense in this thread. I'm not sure what you're defending though, this guy is pretty much spot-on in everything he said.

I don't know about you, but I don't think it's okay to promise some amazing new feature or whatever and expect people to wait for years on end. Their competition has already been there for years now on many of those items. What is the hold up?

Oh great - the boys are back to their old "finger pointing" and "bad mouhing" tricks again. Sone did it, now MS are doing it.

Who gives a damn? You only stoop to such levels when you run out of ideas how to market your own console!