Fedora 9...

...goes final tomorrow. It'll include KDE 4, ext4 support, a new package manager, Firefox 3, and other improvements.

Anyone gonna be downloading?

hoping it's not the same package manager as in the preview then, wich doesn't seem to allow you to mark multipl packages and then download like every other package manager. I also wasn't really able to install KDE4 properly on the preview.

ext4 support is nice!

Also interesting is how they are including Firefox 3, when Ubuntu was so roundly criticized for it. (I am using it and it works just fine)

lo.... locked down eh ... too bad.. Well I am will download it by torrent. saves dollars for a Opensource projects and makes me feel i contributed in small way :D

hmm neither the uninett or sunet ftps would cost the opensource projects aything though, they're high speed university servers

:)

Their torrents list page (here) lists the version 9 releases, but are currently not active on the tracker with a "not authorized".

I have them in transmission, waiting for when they become active, so they hopefully start up while I am at work today and I can seed.

I see that the FedoraProject.org site no longer has the "in 1 day" graphic, and announces Fedora 9 on the main part.

Could it be that the torrents are now active? (I can't tell now, since I am at work, and my computer should hopefully be downloading and seeding several of the F9 versions now)

I see that the FedoraProject.org site no longer has the "in 1 day" graphic, and announces Fedora 9 on the main part.

Could it be that the torrents are now active? (I can't tell now, since I am at work, and my computer should hopefully be downloading and seeding several of the F9 versions now)

Yes, i believe the torrents have gone active. Also the main page has been updated with direct links for each download type (torrent, direct, jigsaw).

ive been waiting a month for this.

i was told that Red Hat is the best distro to learn if your trying to get a job in networking and wanted another check on your resume, and that fedora was really close to red hat, but a bit more user friendly.

If you want a Red Hat based system because you like Red Hat based systems, then Fedora would be just fine, and it is used to preview (e.g. "test" ) technologies before they are brought into Red Hat.

If you want a Red Hat system because you will be using Red hat where you work, then you ought to look into either compiling your own Red Hat from the source code that Red Hat provides freely to you (per the GPL), or (much easier) use a copy that someone else has already done this for you, such as WhiteBox or CentOS.

I may give this a try. I'm a little bit disappointed in Ubuntu 8.04. 7.10 doesn't recognize my new ATI HD2600 Pro 512meg video card as being accelerated (The newer ATI drivers don't work at all for me either). What can any of you say of Fedora 9 so far?

ive been downloading this all morning.

i started at 150kb/s, not im at 15kb/s........ anyone have some links to some better trackers?

Yeah, with the torrent going between 8 and 30k, I just went for the direct donwload link wich at least goes at a decent 350+. Too bad Uninett and Sunet haven't unlocked the "9" dirs.

I may give this a try. I'm a little bit disappointed in Ubuntu 8.04. 7.10 doesn't recognize my new ATI HD2600 Pro 512meg video card as being accelerated (The newer ATI drivers don't work at all for me either). What can any of you say of Fedora 9 so far?

Yea, so how is this compared to Hardy? Is Pulse Audio better integrated?, how hard is it to add proprietary codecs?

ext4 support is nice!

Also interesting is how they are including Firefox 3, when Ubuntu was so roundly criticized for it. (I am using it and it works just fine)

I think the controversy of FF3 being in the latest Ubuntu is that 8.04 is a LTS release (long-term-support) and is therefore meant to be considered stable...using beta software in a release that is meant to be stable seems a bit strange.