Fedora 9...

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/05/...ra-9-gives.html

reviews like this are simply teasing me cause i still haven't installed it. the downloaded ISO is literally poking me and making fun of me as i work on my F8.

Haha same here, and worse then that is the fact that my direct download crawled to 2kb/s overnite, so when I got home from work it had hardly moved! Almost got it though through torrents :-p....can't wait

I really like how to direct downloaded image is borked and not readable. not even the one I burned at low speed will read at boot.

meh, trying again with the torrent wich is as slow as ever. wonder if they have this thing on any none public trackers. cause linux geejs are apparently the worst of the selfish leeches ever :)

^^^ Huh? Selfish? I am seeding for Shift, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Fedora (7 different versions of Fedora:cd/dvd/kde/gnome/live) right now.

As for the technical issue of the download image, is the sha1sum correct? (meaning, did it download properly). If so, then the problem is your burn.

If the sha1sum is not correct, then the problem is why you would burn several copies of a download image that is demonstrably defective?

Either way, I am a little confused.

no, the images are just fine, and the burner is works just fine, had no problems burning any other images bootable or not.

this one however... burns fine, readable after it's burned, reboot and it's unable to read it, reboot to windows and I can't read the disk there either anymore. highly confusing. would make an awesome DRM system though, self destructing DVD :p

:blink:

So the image burns, and can be read. But when you try to boot from it, it is no longer readable?!?

:iiam:

no, the images are just fine, and the burner is works just fine, had no problems burning any other images bootable or not.

this one however... burns fine, readable after it's burned, reboot and it's unable to read it, reboot to windows and I can't read the disk there either anymore. highly confusing. would make an awesome DRM system though, self destructing DVD :p

Doesn't Fedora come in two versions? One you install and the other is just a LIVECD? It isn't combined as in other distros of Linux.

Thought I'd try the live cd. Couple of problems that would stop me from installing this. First, without getting my hands dirty manually editing config files (and why should I?) I can't get my dual-screen setup to work as an extended desktop. Second, for some reason it just refuses to automatically mount my existing HD partitions. Again, I could probably do it in a terminal, but I expect this sort of thing to just work. Third, and I nearly fell off my chair laughing at this...

post-94504-1210879547_thumb.png

Seriously?

All I wated to do was play a video I had on my server... Now, I fully understand why they choose not to put proprietry codecs into Fedora, but what is this?

At least the mp3 codec is free.... bizarely. :wacko:

Doesn't Fedora come in two versions? One you install and the other is just a LIVECD? It isn't combined as in other distros of Linux.

I think it's something like...

Full DVD

GNOME CD installer (not live)

KDE CD installer (not live)

GNOME LiveCD

KDE LiveCD

Thought I'd try the live cd. Couple of problems that would stop me from installing this. First, without getting my hands dirty manually editing config files (and why should I?) I can't get my dual-screen setup to work as an extended desktop. Second, for some reason it just refuses to automatically mount my existing HD partitions. Again, I could probably do it in a terminal, but I expect this sort of thing to just work. Third, and I nearly fell off my chair laughing at this...

post-94504-1210879547_thumb.png

Seriously?

All I wated to do was play a video I had on my server... Now, I fully understand why they choose not to put proprietry codecs into Fedora, but what is this?

At least the mp3 codec is free.... bizarely. :wacko:

"One of Fedora's main objectives is not only to contain free and open source software, but also to be on the leading edge of such technologies." from wikipedia

why is there a price for those?

why laugh at fedora? why dont you email your 'lord' or 'congressmen' ? huh ?

why is there a price for those?

Exactly.

I know why they're not included - the same reasons why they're not in Ubuntu. So why, then, are they a free download in Ubuntu and not Fedora? And if they can't offer a free download, why can't they suggest where else they might be downloaded instead? I just don't understand this.

im going to be installing fedora 9 soon, but i havnt heard if theres working nvidia drivers out yet. ive got a 9600GT.

It is listed on their webpage showing "Supported Products" http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html

So you will be able to use the proprietary nVidia drivers in whatever Linux you choose.

i am having SUPER time with fedora 9, distro with experimental features for experienced users :D

The kernel modesetting is Awesome and is 'almost' stable but my glx score went down to ~230 from ~1000 switching from terminals is Super fast. i havent been able to use compiz-fusion on my intel agp but default compiz works. which is okay.

The NEW Package manager is just pure fun. yesterday, i installed almost 50-60 apps while i was working during my shift, didnt even bother me. might do review atnew thread if you guys want.

im still not seeing them.

i did a driver search and it found nothing.

why would people be saying there are no working nvidia drivers for fedora 9?

Driver search? You couldn't see it listed on the page I linked? :unsure:

Here is your card, listed right on that page.

post-36818-1211116242_thumb.png

The driver supports your graphics card but does not support the new pre-release of xorg included in Fedora 9.. Need to wait for nvidia to release a new driver..

The driver supports your graphics card but does not support the new pre-release of xorg included in Fedora 9.. Need to wait for nvidia to release a new driver..

ok that must be what they were talking about.

will compiz-fusion work?

i dont know linux too well.

for me (on intel agp) the default compiz-fusion didnt work, I had to get repo with more updated version and its working Schweettly ( with indirect rendering though).