Captain America: The First Avenger (July 2011)

4837519887_5fab2ea2a1_o.jpg&thumb_height=550

Premise

Captain America: The First Avenger will focus on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America.

Cast

* Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America: A sickly young man who is enhanced to the peak of human perfection by an experimental serum in order to aid the United States war effort. As to why Evans wanted to play Captain America, he stated, "I think Marvel is doing a lot of good things right now, and it's a fun character. Even if it wasn't a comic book. I think the story of Steve Rogers is great. He’s a great guy. Even if it was just a script about anybody, I would probably want to do it. So it wasn’t necessarily about the comic itself. He's a great character. He's a great character to play. He just happens to be a comic book character". Evans also said that the film will have a little bit of humor, finding a "happy medium" between the "glossy" and "fantastical" Spider-Man and Fantastic Four films, and the darker films like The Dark Knight. On this aspect, he compared The First Avenger to Iron Man.

* Hugo Weaving as Johann Schmidt / Red Skull: Captain America's nemesis and the head of the Nazis' terrorist activities who was personally groomed and trained by Adolf Hitler to be his right-hand man. In the film, Red Skull is the commander of HYDRA. Weaving stated that he patterned Red Skull's accent on Werner Herzog and Klaus Maria Brandauer.

* Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes: An orphan who later befriends Captain America and becomes his sidekick. Trade sources said Stan has signed on for "five or six pictures".

* Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter: A freedom fighter with the French Resistance during World War II and the love interest of Captain America. About her preparation for the role Atwell stated, "We've got a fabulous crew and team of people working with us and I'm training at the moment six days a week to make her a bit more military and make it convincing that I could kick butt. But it's great fun and I'm really looking forward to doing it".

* Toby Jones as Arnim Zola: A biochemist for the Nazi party during World War II.

* Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury: A sergeant in the United States Army during World War II who leads an elite special unit of US Army Rangers nicknamed the Howling Commandos and would later become the director of the super-spy agency, S.H.I.E.L.D..

* Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark: The father of Tony Stark, who worked on various government projects dating back to the World War II era. About the role Cooper stated, "It's an oppurtunity where you can see his future because I know the guy who becomes my son and I see myself as an older version in Iron Man 2 which is great for an actor to have those tools. All I know of him is that he's a fantastic engineer and inventor and a very slick Howard Hughes type that's into aviation and women!"

* Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan: A former circus strongman and member of Sgt. Fury's Howling Commandos, known for his marksmanship with rifles and for his impressive physique. In an interview with MTV News McDonough stated that he is already growing Dugan's trademark mustache and plans to wear the character's signature bowler hat. About his role in film he remarked, "Oh, I'm going to see a lot of action. [i'm] the go-to guy, so I'm very happy with that".

* Stanley Tucci as Dr. Abraham Erskine: The scientist who created the Super Soldier Serum. In an interview with Screen Crave Tucci stated that what drew him to the role was the opportunity to do a German accent, which was something that he always wanted to try and that it was "really well written".

* Tommy Lee Jones as Col. Chester Phillips: In the early comics, Phillips recruited Steve Rogers to join Project Rebirth, the secret experiment that created the Super Soldier known as Captain America. The character will be updated for the film.

Edited by Rappy

If the can pull this off like they have with Iron Man it will be great, also heard that it was the shield that we seen in Iron Man !

If the can pull this off like they have with Iron Man it will be great, also heard that it was the shield that we seen in Iron Man !

Yeah Captain America is part of S.H.I.E.L.D

• 2 months later...
John Barrowman, the star of "Torchwood," was just asked moments ago at the San Diego Comic-Con panel if there was any possibility that he would be playing Captain America in the upcoming feature film.

He smiled and gave the stock answer that he'd love to play the character and that Captain America has always been his favorite comic book superhero. Clearly, though, the notion did not take him by surprise and he ended up admitting there had been discussions with his agents and meetings on that very issue.

What do you think? Though maybe not the star-power that the studio might be looking for, Barrowman certainly fits the bill. We'll bring you more news as it develops.

The First Avenger: Captain America is currently scheduled for a May 6, 2011 release.

Would be a great choice actually just remembering when he played Captain Jack!

Captain America takes on Terrorists.

I think we've seen this one already? :p

No No, his actual shield was in the lab apparently :)

indeed it was

but 2011? they better keep me busy with other super heroes until then :p

There was a scene cut from the Hulk...which is supposed to be included in the DVD release...that involves Banner going to the North pole to commit suicide due to depression of not being able to rid himself of the Hulk. He meets...or sees Captain America there.

I don't think he meets Capt, from what i read there is another mention of the WW2 program that he belongs to in this scene.

I don't think he meets Capt, from what i read there is another mention of the WW2 program that he belongs to in this scene.
There's a point when Bruce Banner gives up on his quest for the cure and decides to kill himself. So he travels far North and reaches the Arctic Circle. You might have seen bits of it in some of the promos. The result was a very dark and strong scene, which Marvel, me and everyone else considered to be too hard to young audiences to take, so we've cut it. Having that said, when Bruce arrives at his destination he meets up with Captain America!

Lots of other stories about this...

Would be a great choice actually just remembering when he played Captain Jack!

I hope with every fibre of my being that this isnt true. Seeing him ham it up on Torchwood is bad enough(Not that I have much time for that, a minute is all I can stand), lets not ruin a movie with it.

There was a scene cut from the Hulk...which is supposed to be included in the DVD release...that involves Banner going to the North pole to commit suicide due to depression of not being able to rid himself of the Hulk. He meets...or sees Captain America there.

I like how they drop little cameos into films but don't like when they cut them!

• 2 months later...

Official Sypnosis

The First Avenger: Captain America:

?Born during the Great Depression, Steve Rogers grew up a frail youth in a poor family. Horrified by the newsreel footage of the Nazis in Europe, Rogers was inspired to enlist in the army. However, because of his frailty and sickness, he was rejected. Overhearing the boy?s earnest plea, General Chester Phillips offered Rogers the opportunity to take part in a special experiment? Operation: Rebirth. After weeks of tests, Rogers was at last administered the ?Super-Soldier Serum? and bombarded by ?vita-rays.? Steve Rogers emerged from the treatment with a body as perfect as a body can be and still be human. Rogers was then put through an intensive physical and tactical training program. Three months later, he was given his first assignment as Captain America. Armed with his indestructible shield and and battle savvy, Captain America has continued his war against evil both as a sentinel of liberty and leader of the Avengers.?

[FSR]

• 1 month later...

Director Found!

Marvel Studios has just signed Joe Johnston to direct The First Avenger: Captain America. Like amny, I was impressed with Johnson?s early art/effects work, loved October Sky, but was pretty disappointed with everything he has done since (::cough:: Jurassic Park III ::coug:):). However, the footage I saw from The Wolf Man at Comic Con was very impressive. Johnston seems like an odd choice for this Marvel franchise, especially considering his background in visual effects, which would have made him more valuable in a project with a more visually dynamic superhero (like The Incredible Hulk).

Johnston started his career as an artist at Lucasfilm, having famously provided the final designs for Star Wars characters Yoda and Boba Fett. He won an academy award for his visual effects work on Raiders of the Lost Ark. Supossedly Johnston and George Lucas got close, and Joe was invited to cit in during George?s editing sessions. Later when Joe announced that he would be leaving the company to travel the world with the money he had saved up, Lucas convinced him to attend his alma mater USC film School, and even paid his tuition.

Johnston was a second unit director on *batteries not included, and made his directorial debut with Honey I Shrunk the Kids. In the 1990?s, Johnson directed The Rocketeer, the live action sequences of The Pagemaster, Jumanji, and crescendoed with October Sky. Steven Spielberg handed Johnston the Jurassic Park series with Jurassic Park III. His remake of The Wolf Man for Universal will hit theaters in April 2009. Interestingly, Johnson was also at one point in line to direct Hulk, but for one reason or another decided to drop out.

The First Avenger: Captain America is set to hit theaters on May 6th 2011, just two months before Marvel?s superhero team-up film The Avengers (July 15th 2011). Considering the films will be interconnected, this means Johnson will need to cast his Steve Rogers / Captain America very soon. Also, no screenwriters have been hired for the project, but Marvel has supposedly been heading pitches and hopes to hire someone soon.

I?ve never really been a fan of Captain America, like some I found his extreme patriotism and stupid outfit to be a turn off. Plus, his weapon is a shield?! C?mon! But recently one of my friends convinced me to buy The Ultimates: Volume 1, was has totally changed my mind about Captain America and the whole idea of a superhero team-up. If you haven?t yet read The Ultimates, you should definitely check it out (it is available for under $20 on Amazon). I have no doubt that the storyline will be used as a guideline for the end of the Captain America film and the beginning of The Avengers movie.

As previously revealed, the film will be a period piece set entirely during World War II. Filming will take place primarily at Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach, CA.

I know this could be a controversial choice but....

Matthew McConnaughy (or however it spelt!)

I think I may just run off and hide now!! :D

• 3 months later...

NealMcDonough-SteveRogers-comp.jpg

Neal McDonough Could be Cappy?

Yesterday afternoon I interviewed with one of my favorite actors, Neal McDonough, who plays M. Bison in the upcoming Street Fighter movie. As the interview was wrapping up, I asked him about what he's doing next, as part of a question about what he looks for in scripts. And at the last second, he said that, "I think it's time for me to go back to playing some of the really good guys who can get the job done, like Captain America, maybe." I immediately asked him if that was a hint, and his response was even more confusing. It's been on my mind since the interview, and I just had to open this discussion up to all of our readers.

His answer wasn't a definitive yes or a definitive no, so I didn't want to run this news as anything official, but instead as a "what if?" kind of scenario. When you look at the bigger picture, Neal McDonough has starred in a lot of big World War II roles previously ("Band of Brothers", Flags of Our Fathers), which means he's got that experience, since Captain America was a soldier in WWII. Secondly, if you look at the comparison shots above, Neal is a near identical match visually to the Cap from The Ultimates series of comics, which as we know from previous articles, is almost the exact storyline that Marvel is borrowing from for all of its big movies that will eventually marge into The Avengers movie by 2011. So, what if?

To confuse things even more, his answer when asked if that was a hint that he might be Captain America, contained some "who knows?" and "fingers crossed!" kind of dialogue. So, I thought, why not share that part of the interview with our readers, and ask them whether they think McDonough might be the guy for the role and if he would be a good fit or not? Is he too old, too young, too inexperienced? To be honest, he seems like a perfect fit. Wasn't Robert Downey Jr. only still a rising star when he was cast as Tony Stark? He's got the muscle, he's got the acting chops, he's got the looks, maybe this is our Captain America after all?

Hm, I'm not to sure about this. Then again, I don't know which actor would be fitting for the role either.