My Dad Is Looking To Buy A Laptop

I wouldn't go for MBP. Despite them being excellent products, I don't consider them exactly 'lightweight' for a person that wants mobility. Sure they are below 3kg which for me means "lightweight", but still.

SO... +1 for the lenovos

You do know the 15" MBP is one of the lightest 15" on the block right ? .. about 2.5 ~ 2.6kg ...

17" is 3.1kg yeah .. which is normal for a 17"

Oh and one more tip to topicstarter .. Just say NO to the Macbook Air .. sure you'll fap all over it in the store and it's a marble...

But you just can't use it. Go for the 14" HPs ;)

Do you know that almost all office products are only compatible with Windows right?

ThinkPad is the best way to go. I've used so many laptops from Sony to Dell to the HP laptop I'm typing on right now. Lenovo's ThinkPad for some reason could hold a charge for hours without fail. If you want durability and mobility, then go for the ThinkPad.

ThinkPad or MBP.

Both are quality products.

I agree, I mainly chose the Macbook over the Thinkpad because I am SICK of Windows, but saying that I use it daily but for my internet workhorse and relax machine I want to be as far from Windows as I can get.

I have a MBP and I'd say +1 for ThinkPad.

Come on...the man is using it for business applications and needs to be light weight. I love me 15", but its not exactly "lightweight" is it? ThinkPads are built like a tank, and will run on forever. Reliability is top notch, right up there with MBP build quality.

No more Mac suggestions please. I should have said this earlier but he does not want a Mac.

Which specific ThinkPad model should he get?

What about the Dell M1530?

+1 for a MBP, if his budget allows it, why the **** not?

You can run any OS on it. Its got a 5-hour+ battery. It looks great. And full of features you wouldn't find on many other laptops.

Crazysah, the ThinkPad he might want to be looking at is the X61s:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/control...678EA089EF892A3

When you build it, you might want to look into giving it a bigger hard drive, more RAM (unless you're comfortable with buying RAM yourself and installing it), integrated bluetooth, and a larger battery. The 4-cell battery is good, but you definitely want the 8-cell battery if he wants a longer battery life. If you decide to go with Lenovo, don't forget to use the coupon code USPSAVEMORENOW so that you get a 10% discount from your purchase.

+1 for the Thinkpad x61 or the HP Business Class Notebooks

I would have never recommended HP in the same line as the Thinkpad until I got my hands on a couple of newer HP laptop's. I purchased a Used L2000 and for the price I was surprised at how well it held up. I now have a HP/Compaq nc6400 and I love it. I bought my wife a Compaq Presario F700 for $299.00 at Staples a few weeks ago and for the price it is a great laptop.

I would have him take a look and see if he can find a Lonovo Retailer local so he can take a look at the design and the feel of the laptop before he buys it. Some people hate the design of the Thinkpad's but they are rock solid.

If your Dad is anything like mine, he will need you to help him with the tech support side of things. With a mac, you really don't have this problem: it's very very easy to maintain and set everything up yourself. Things like printers are a pain on windows but a breeze on mac.

Depending on the priority of being lightweight, I would either go for a MacBook Pro, or if he really wants it light, a Lenovo X300 (I personally don't like the MBA)

That said, Lenovos are FUGLY. Just look at the lip at the top of the screen. Yeugh!

MBP's are for fanboys. Pretty over priced too. (dont care what anyone says it is)

Thinkpad wins here. HP is decent but not a great traveler.

ThinkPad's only seem ugly because they're durable and rugged. The upper lip is because of the clasps to prevent it from being opened while in a backpack or suitcase.

macbook pro or a fully loaded dell vostro 1510 gets my vote. ibm and hp make nice laptops but personally i don't like them as much.

i know your Dad siad no Macs but look at this

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Tell your dad that he can install windows on a Mac no and run both OSX and Windows and that windows will run natively and besides your dad said he wanted battery life right? well the Macbook runs 4.5hrs with Wirless N enabled and or the Macbook pro offers 5hrs of life

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Agian he can run windows on a Mac so he would be getting 2 systems in 1 a Mac and a windows PC

Again

What part of "NO MAC" do you not understand?

Well OK, since you oviously have no brain you are problably thinking about a Big Mac. No. You fail.

He does not want a Apple laptop. Period.

That being said Id go with a custom Thinkpad for your needs without a doubt :)

Thinkpad or a Dell Vostro gets my vote.

People who complain about dells customer support are slightly wrong. Whilst I agree with them in that the home segment has pretty poor customer support. The business segment has a lot lot lot better