My Dad Is Looking To Buy A Laptop

If he's looking at it, just from a business point of view the Vostro 1000 would be good, and relatively cheap too [starting at like 400usd]

If he wants performance, the vostro 1510 or 1500 would do the job. The 1510 is smaller and lighter than the 1500 and more durable, but as a result costs more.

XPS M1530 is also a good laptop, but its geared towards enthusiasts rather than business. Though I think the vostros and the M1530 come out to be similarly priced in the end.

---

Vostro and Inspirson are essentially the same laptops. Just one is multicolored [inspiron], and the other is black [Vostro]. Dunno if the inspirons are spill resistant but the Vostros are, and the support is different too.

I'd say for 2500$, get an XPS 1330, LED backlit screen, and maybe a SSD. Also get both 6-cell and 9-cell batteries, and that'll keep you going for a few years.

I have a 1530, and I would consider it portable, but not light-weight.

Dell Latitude? I skimmed over the thread and I don't think anyone recommended it.

Dell Latitude? I skimmed over the thread and I don't think anyone recommended it.

Dell latitude are great for businesses too, but they tend to contain workstation components [such as Quadro graphic cards]. The vostro would be a better alternative, as it comes with an 8400/8600 card.

T61s are Lenovos current topline. In my experience they are the business laptops, durable as hell and they have the best laptop keyboards ever made.

I can't believe people are seriously recommending MBPs... they are nice toys but that's it. For business use Lenovo/Dell/HP.. basically anything else is better.

Lol @ someone suggesting a dell precision earlier.

Right, we are aware he "hates" macs. Why?

• The build quality of the MBP is great. Can't argue with that.
  • You can run windows.
  • When he's running his mac system, he needs to worry less about being interrupted by viruses etc.
  • The 15,4" MBP is practically the lightest 15" available - although it looks like a tank it doesn't weigh the same ;)

Lol @ someone suggesting a dell precision earlier.

Right, we are aware he "hates" macs. Why?

• The build quality of the MBP is great. Can't argue with that.
  • You can run windows.
  • When he's running his mac system, he needs to worry less about being interrupted by viruses etc.
  • The 15,4" MBP is practically the lightest 15" available - although it looks like a tank it doesn't weigh the same ;)

Because a Lenovo will be cheaper, offer better build quality, more security features for sensitive business data, and be lighter. Why are we still insisting on shoving a Macbook down his dad's throat when he obviously doesn't want one and when there are better solutions out there for business applications? I think it's okay to suggest a Macbook, but to keep trying to convince someone they need one when there are better solutions is not the right way to go. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, I own an iPhone and I was close to getting a 13" MacBook for myself. But clearly the better choice here is a Lenovo or a business-grade HP or Dell, although I think Lenovo still offers the priceless guarantee of build quality and THE BEST KEYBOARD ON ANY LAPTOP. This can seem silly, but it's important for someone like his dad who will mostly be typing in data.

Features like the ThinkVantage utilities, anti-spill keyboard, magnesium-alloy roll cage, carbon-fibre plastic composite casing, and everything else makes it a GREAT solution for SERIOUS business people with a SERIOUS agenda that CANNOT lose or otherwise damage their data. The Lenovo's casing will see no flex, the hinges will hold strong, and the laptop will clamp shut and not budge when in motion, and also the clamshell LCD encasing will make sure no crevices are left for any foreign material to enter the space between the screen and keyboard.

How can you ignore all this? Really. It's not just because you love Apple, that Apple must instantly be the best solution to everything. The Macbook is a great consumer device, but there are simply better business laptops. That is all. I personally drool over Macbooks, but I don't see how they're any more convenient here, especially since his dad has displayed a distaste for Apple products. People are allowed not to like Apple, end of story.

DO NOT GO WITH A MACBOOK PRO! For the same price you can get a killer laptop with amazing specs.....far better than a MacBook Pro!! Do not make the mistake and waste his money on it! I would go with a Dell or Toshiba or Lenovo. Anything else is sub-par!

Apple seriously rips you off with their overpriced, butthole-Shanghai built machines. For the same $2500 you could get a PC laptop that will smoke the MBP out of the water leaving its specs drastically behind!

Because a Lenovo will be cheaper, offer better build quality, more security features for sensitive business data, and be lighter. Why are we still insisting on shoving a Macbook down his dad's throat when he obviously doesn't want one and when there are better solutions out there for business applications? I think it's okay to suggest a Macbook, but to keep trying to convince someone they need one when there are better solutions is not the right way to go. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, I own an iPhone and I was close to getting a 13" MacBook for myself. But clearly the better choice here is a Lenovo or a business-grade HP or Dell, although I think Lenovo still offers the priceless guarantee of build quality and THE BEST KEYBOARD ON ANY LAPTOP. This can seem silly, but it's important for someone like his dad who will mostly be typing in data.

Features like the ThinkVantage utilities, anti-spill keyboard, magnesium-alloy roll cage, carbon-fibre plastic composite casing, and everything else makes it a GREAT solution for SERIOUS business people with a SERIOUS agenda that CANNOT lose or otherwise damage their data. The Lenovo's casing will see no flex, the hinges will hold strong, and the laptop will clamp shut and not budge when in motion, and also the clamshell LCD encasing will make sure no crevices are left for any foreign material to enter the space between the screen and keyboard.

How can you ignore all this? Really. It's not just because you love Apple, that Apple must instantly be the best solution to everything. The Macbook is a great consumer device, but there are simply better business laptops. That is all. I personally drool over Macbooks, but I don't see how they're any more convenient here, especially since his dad has displayed a distaste for Apple products. People are allowed not to like Apple, end of story.

Ok well first off, I have to say that both laptops' build quality is very very good. I don't think any ground will be won or lost here, and the thing is, the whole of the middle of that para is true. But it is true again for the MBP.

As to the keyboard issue. Is it not still true that lenovo STILL offer that ridiculous little mouse stub half way up the keyboard? Frankly I think that their laptop keyboards are just very average, but that mouse stub takes it down a notch for me.

The security issue seems like something I wouldn't bring up if I was coming from the windows side: with a MacBook Pro the risk is halved, as there is (next to) no risk of being mirrored/hacked from the internet. Of course, the issue of them being stolen is different altogether. Given enough time with an average business users laptop, not much exec. encryption is going to hold up over long term is it?

DO NOT GO WITH A MACBOOK PRO! For the same price you can get a killer laptop with amazing specs.....far better than a MacBook Pro!! Do not make the mistake and waste his money on it! I would go with a Dell or Toshiba or Lenovo. Anything else is sub-par!

But a MacBook Pro is a 'killer laptop with amazing specs' :yes:

Also, I cannot believe that you just said something was sub-par to a dell :rofl:

Yeah, I agree, Lenovos are awesome. Dell on the other hand... :x

Ok well first off, I have to say that both laptops' build quality is very very good. I don't think any ground will be won or lost here, and the thing is, the whole of the middle of that para is true. But it is true again for the MBP.

As to the keyboard issue. Is it not still true that lenovo STILL offer that ridiculous little mouse stub half way up the keyboard? Frankly I think that their laptop keyboards are just very average, but that mouse stub takes it down a notch for me.

The security issue seems like something I wouldn't bring up if I was coming from the windows side: with a MacBook Pro the risk is halved, as there is (next to) no risk of being mirrored/hacked from the internet. Of course, the issue of them being stolen is different altogether. Given enough time with an average business users laptop, not much exec. encryption is going to hold up over long term is it?

But a MacBook Pro is a 'killer laptop with amazing specs' :yes:

Also, I cannot believe that you just said something was sub-par to a dell :rofl:

Yeah, I agree, Lenovos are awesome. Dell on the other hand... :x

Dell's quality is quite good, now please shut up and stop shoving macbooks down the guys throat when hes already mentioned, and so have others, about a billion times that HE DOESN'T WANT ONE. Just having windows doesn't mean you will get viruses..please.

OK, well...

As Cpu Killer is tapping furiously away at his keyboard, I'd just like to say that we shouldn't let this turn into any bigger of a flamewar. Neither of us is going to back down: each laptop is good, but each person believes his is slightly better.

Peace. :cool:

If it's portability, go with the Mac Air...

If you're planning to extend your budget, go with the HP HDX Dragon.. lol..

Dell's quality is quite good, now please shut up and stop shoving macbooks down the guys throat when hes already mentioned, and so have others, about a billion times that HE DOESN'T WANT ONE.

In fact, he mentioned it once (I think :p). You on the other hand have said "HE DOESN'T WANT ONE" twice at least.

If it's portability, go with the Mac Air...

If you're planning to extend your budget, go with the HP HDX Dragon.. lol..

Come on. The Mac Book air is a joke useless unless you plan to actually do things on another computer :/

EDIT: Wow, looks like I'm doing both sides now :laugh:

Again

What part of "NO MAC" do you not understand?

Well OK, since you oviously have no brain you are problably thinking about a Big Mac. No. You fail.

He does not want a Apple laptop. Period.

That being said Id go with a custom Thinkpad for your needs without a doubt :)

[/quote

yea i get what he said but the fact a Mac can run windows on it also and the fact it offers somethings he want Battery life then mmm cause most windows based notebook to my knowledge only offer 3 to 4hrs .

Dell Inspiron 1525 or Dell XPS M1530 (OR some other models?

OR

Lenovo T61's... (any specific model?)

OR

Something else?

Also... can't you people just get it? No more MAC RECOMMENDATIONS please?

Dell Inspiron 1525 or Dell XPS M1530 (OR some other models?

OR

Lenovo T61's... (any specific model?)

OR

Something else?

Also... can't you people just get it? No more MAC RECOMMENDATIONS please?

went blank

dont know then what to tell ya then cause we are all trying to help find ya the best ya can get for the price ya want with the besy quality of Batt life and everything an right now as far as i can see Mac witch runs same hardware as the other laptops shown has the best Batt life

You really don't know when to stop do you? He has already stated it several times HE DOES NOT WANT A MAC.

My vostro 1700 [specs in sig] on full power saving, was able to watch House for 5-6 hours constantly whilst I was on a plane.

You could talk to your dad and convince him to buy a Mac. I'm sure he isn't specialized malware hunter/problem solver.

ROFL, that post is laughable at the very least.

Seriously, unless you're a total idiot who accepts every activex control, opens every email even if it looks suspicious. Your chances of getting viruses or malware are low.

UAC protects you from a lot of registry changes, and rootkits, yet again if you dont click yes for everything without actually thinking of where it came from.

mac is for fanbois. period.

when u think business, u think ibm(well now lenovo). may look fugly but it is full functional with all the stuff u need, utilities, and stuff.

for lightweight, get the X300. sure beats the macbook air any time. u dun need to carry a usb hub to connect the ethernet port, external dvd drive, and all the card readers and stuff that a decent laptop must have. and the best part, the X300 fits in an envelope like the macbook air.

u may consider other lenovo models if you are not in for the weight. Y410 series is great. I'm using the older 3000N100 series for school and gaming and i can play nfs prostreet on med settings on it. And i got it at less than half the cost of the macbook air.

and despite looking fugly, it looks slick and professional, can do virtually everything. running the free antivir(antivirus) and free comodo firewall and i don't see any lag. and i believe that this combination is more than sufficient to block out 99% of malwares. yup. u dun need a mac to block malwares.

and mac fanbois, try http://security.itworld.com/5013/mac-hacke...327/page_1.html

the macbook air got hacked in 2 min flat. it's so secure.

Edited by Death Blade

I wouldn't let this turn into a Mac vs. Non-Mac thread =\

I guess if the OP said no Mac's then it's completely out of the question.

Well before we go on I'd like to say I'm not trying to make this into a flame fest, I'm just saying I personally think Lenovo is the better choice here. Again, I do LOVE Apple, I've already got my credit card ready to go for June 9th and the new iPhone, and I've recommended the Macbook to numerous friends who now own one. But this is just a unique situation.

Yes, the Macbook is built with good quality. But Apple has design in first place, not durability. The ThinkPad is made with reinforced metal hinges, carbon-fiber composite plastic, and even a magnesium-alloy composite on the bottom and top of the laptop. There is an internal roll cage that protects mainly the LCD and other internal components, and the ThinkVantage feature that halts the hard-drive when it detects a fall using the built-in accelerometer. The case itself will not flex, and neither will the keys ; they're sturdy. The hinges on the LCD will not become worn out, they'll still hold the LCD firmly in place without wobble after many uses.

When I say the best keyboard in the industry, I mean that the feel of the IBM keyboard has for years been considered one of the best to type on. It has been voted in this category by people that..well, people that type all day. And yes, the ThinkPads do have "UltraNav" with TrackPoint, and it's a great feature. Some people love it, that's why Lenovo keeps it..just like they kept 4:3 laptops until recently (and might come back with them). If you use the TrackPoint you'll see why some people love it, or maybe it won't be for you..but that doesn't matter, because now they also offer the touch pad (hence "UltraNav", you have both). The point of the pointing stick is you don't have to take your hand away from the keyboard to move the mouse, and can go back to typing faster. Just like anything, it's very efficient once you get used to it. :)

If you still think people hate the pointing stick, here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=717

As for security, I've been on PCs for 12 years and I've never gotten a single virus, malware, or spyware. I've never used anti-virus software. I just know what I do when I'm on the web, opening emails, and other things. Windows computers are not easily susceptible to random virus attacks, mostly you have to invoke them. A bit of intelligent computing solves that. I will agree, OSX has far less security threats - but we've been over this, it's a much smaller target for hackers as it's a minute part of the OS market. He'll be safe on windows if he just watches what he's doing, and if he's using this for business, I don't see why he'd be dwindling into anything that might be dangerous so far as malware or viruses are concerned. Besides, he might not want to adapt to a new OS just in order to use OSX. Or his applications might run natively on Windows. Some people don't want to complicate things, and I'd suppose that's his case.

Don't get me wrong, Apple is a great brand. It just so happens, here, that for a lower price, in this situation, he can get a better machine for his needs. That is all.

I get it. It is now between Lenovo and Dell...

So list me 3 models from each and then we shall narrow it down. 3 specific models please?

Wow Mac users are annoying.

Have you considered the Dell Latitude D630? It's one rock solid laptop. I have one here and love it. The nVidia Quadro NVS 135M card on the D630 is pretty decent for gaming - I believe performance is on par with a nVidia GeForce 8400.