Found authentic Nazi War Flag

All the people who say "destroy it" and "it's evil, it needs to be burned".

It's just a flag. It's only offensive because you put behind it all your opinions and feelings about the nazis.

It's understandable why that symbol was chosen to be one of the symbols of the third reich (notice the lower-case characters!), as it had thousands of years behind it of being a symbol of continuity and good...something hitler wanted for his new empire ('thousand years of rule' ring a bell to any history buffs?).

Also, wiping out bits of history because you "don't like it"...isn't that what the nazis did when they burned books?

The thing about history...you might not like it, but you do have to accept that it happened.

If everyone destroyed stuff from history they didn't like, then in a few hundred years when everyone who remembers it is dead and word of mouth has missed out key lessons from history...some prat will get the same idea and no-one will go, "hang on, that didn't work last time...not likely to work this time".

Oh yeah, in my opinion you should loan the flag to a museum but let them know you would be open to selling it at a future date (if you need a cash injection for something, but don't let them know your reasons). That way, they'll be able to plan ahead to maybe buying it off you at a reasonable price.

Good idea to loan it. Once it is on display and brings in a tun of visitors, they will probably pay you nicely to sell it

Okay, but what about nation percentages? Keep in mind the US is a larger nation. According to Wikipedia, soldier deaths were 382,600 for the UK and 416,800 for the US. That equates to 0.80% and 0.32% respectively. Keep in mind as well, that the number of civilian casualties in the UK were leagues higher than that of the US (something like 50 times?). So yes, in raw numbers the US was hit hard. But as a nation as a whole, the UK was hit MUCH harder. Heck, I'm sure you've seen images of the infrastructure that was blown to bits by the Luftwaffe.

And to the OP, I'd definitely hold on to it. Displaying it, as seen above, can be touchy for certain individuals, so I suggest having it displayed folded (as you previously mentioned), or only out in full if you have a dedicated WW2 collection (as then it won't seem out of place, and you'll seem a little bit less weird). However, do get it appraised, so that was you at least need to know its worth incase you ever do decide to change your mind in the future. Sure, cash is great, but holding an infamous piece of history in your hands should beat that any day.

I'm Russian, I beat you both, considering Russia lost more population than the entirety of Europe and the United States.

Also, America didn't beat Germany in the European theatre. Russia beat Germany with sheer numbers and brute force at the end of the day, it doesn't matter that Germany had its numbers split in half on the offensive because the Russian war tactic was just to send the sheep to the slaughter and we had the sheer numbers to fight the war that way, considering Stalin killed 50 million more people in the 10 years after the war. So yeah, if America didn't go to the UK's aid, everyone would be speaking Russian not German so get your history straight, hell if America didn't fight in the European theatre of the war and it came down to Russia conquering all of Western Europe and not stopping at Eastern Germany than the U.S.A. would not have the numbers or the economic power to take Russia on and the majority of the world would be speaking Russian right now including America. So hold your tongue as America's involvement in the war could have completely been taken over by Russia.

Edited by Oxuyoska

Theres a museum about 8 miles away that has a WWII section. When I get home, I'm going to call them and see if they would like to have it on loan for 4 years (while I'm in college)

Any new info?

2 options

Museum donation from an old veteran...i.e. your Grandfather.

Ebay.

it's up to you.

just don't hang it outside. lol