64-bit or 32-bit OS?

64-bit or 32-bit?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of operating system your computer(s) is/are running?

• 64-bit
    • 32-bit

I don't know if it's only me, but I think 64-bit computing experienced a major push since the introduction of Windows Vista and Mac OS X Leopard, I even notice more people is running a 64-bit OS than before in signatures and posts etc. Hardware and software support is also way better now, any 64-bit compatibility issues are best described as "minor".

So, what kind of operating system your computer(s) is/are running? If you have more than one OS configuration, select both :)

My PC is running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit (Y).

I voted 32 bit, as I'm running that now. But I'm going to format and install 64 bit :p (hopefully later today or tomorrow)

32bit because of hardware limitations.

Running a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit chip here. :ninja:

Running Leopard on G5?

I've got Vista x64 running on my desktop.

I've no idea what type of OS I use. I'm assuming it's 64-bit since it's Mac OS X 10.5.3, but there's not really any indication anywhere that says it's 64-bit (or 32-bit for that matter).

I believe that the majority of OS components on Mac OS X are 32-bit binaries, not 64-bit ones. Besides, on Core Duo (not Core2), it's all 32-bit. I read on wikipedia that the kernel is 32-bit even on 64-bit enabled systems. Certain things like... Carbon? are still 32-bit. So the 64-bit support is there at least, but most of stuff runs on 32-bit.

On Windows Vista x64, the OS is 64-bit, and there are SDKs for 64-bit apps to be developed for the windows platform (those apps that want to use windows libraries, that is). There's also the whole 32-bit windows libraries for those apps that use it.

XP 64 bit uses that same approach, but I rather run vista since technically the 32-bit and 64-bit version are like "Mirrors" of each other... not sure if it's the same with XP.

Linux x64 will let you use most of stuff in 64-bits

Vista Ultimate 32-bit on my main machine.

XP Pro 32-bit on the other two.

PCLinuxOS 32-bit on another one.

Although the only one that has 64-bit capable hardware is my main computer.

Linux x64 will let you use most of stuff in 64-bits

Except things like Flash plugins... :whistle:

I'm on 32 bit still - I decided not to install 64 bit yesterday :p (well, I did, but due to software issues I went back to 32 bit)

Except things like Flash plugins... :whistle:

really?

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy 64 bit, 6Gb RAM

Flash player installed and running smoothly...

Linux 64bit forever.

post-174894-1213036836_thumb.jpg

^^^ I believe that is a 32-bit Flash player. My post was a tongue-in-cheek reply to the one I quoted regarding how 64-bit Linux lets your run "most stuff in 64-bits".