Wasn't allowed into local rodeo cuz of DSLR

I've read the entire thread and perhaps I missed it but no one has mentioned copyright! Perhaps the organizers of these events feel that you could sell professional shots and make money out of their show as opposed to people with crappy cameras that will only produce happy snaps! Just a thought!

that is true however with a canon G9 which looks like a standard P&S can take photos just as good as a DSLR too a degree and if you were going to buy photos then you wont really know what camera it was taken on

that is true however with a canon G9 which looks like a standard P&S can take photos just as good as a DSLR too a degree and if you were going to buy photos then you wont really know what camera it was taken on

As I said, just a thought!

I've read the entire thread and perhaps I missed it but no one has mentioned copyright! Perhaps the organizers of these events feel that you could sell professional shots and make money out of their show as opposed to people with crappy cameras that will only produce happy snaps! Just a thought!

A compact Leica could take professional looking shots just as easily.

A compact Leica could take professional looking shots just as easily.

I am not sure if I should repeat myself............... :huh: I am well aware that there are compact cameras that are quite capable of producing levels of professional photography, thanks for setting me straight as regards this fact! :whistle: In any event my comment was not intended to produce a massive debate on what you can and what you cannot do with certain types of cameras, but rather the rational that may be applied by organizers of these sort of events! If this is not the case, then I am sure, at some point, the organization will give an explanation as regards their policy.

so far at baseball games they havent had any issues with me bringing a 100-400mm L IS :p never been to a rodeo though...

Depending on your local area's view on what a "public" place based on where its held they might be not allowed to do that because their discriminating against a person because of what they own but that would all depend on all your local laws and such.

public is any thing that the general masses have access to that is not privately own

Some places have different definitions for it, eg: i know a town close to me has it as "any place the people are execpted to meet for at least 2 hours at a time and costs less than $X to gain entry", it all depends on the local council/government laws i guess.

public is any thing that the general masses have access to that is not privately own

That is correct for Ontario residents. Any place that is private property can be restricted, but any place owned by a municipality or Government is considered a 'public' place, which includes soccer fields, etc. However, if you are taking pictures of random people there is still a privacy law that requires you to obtain permision from the person you are shooting if you are going to use the media for advertising or profitable reasons. Personal use I believe is still OK, depending on the situation (like a childrens sports game).

That is correct for Ontario residents. Any place that is private property can be restricted, but any place owned by a municipality or Government is considered a 'public' place, which includes soccer fields, etc. However, if you are taking pictures of random people there is still a privacy law that requires you to obtain permision from the person you are shooting if you are going to use the media for advertising or profitable reasons. Personal use I believe is still OK, depending on the situation (like a childrens sports game).

your on public land thus you can take pictures of people as long as its not the main subject of the photo. also all athletes have to sign a paper saying that they dont mind being photographed to play in the game.

the reason why they didn't let u in with ur dslr was cuz it's not big enough :p try a pro body + pro lens and fake to be a pro :p

haha. Thats sooo true. A guy i used to work with had a 1D Mark III and a Canon 300mm L lens. He walked up to the front gates at Wakestock and let him in for free.

haha. Thats sooo true. A guy i used to work with had a 1D Mark III and a Canon 300mm L lens. He walked up to the front gates at Wakestock and let him in for free.

size matters with cameras.

i shot some pics at wakestock last summer also, was not bad. i just noticed u are from ontario too! :p i go to utm in sauga. :p

*UPDATE*

So I emailed them explaining what happened, and this is the response I got.

This is a difficult position that we find ourselves in. We are a PRCA rodeo. As such, the PRCA has control over all photos taken of their events, (ie: bareback, saddle bronc, bull riding, etc.). Technically they do not allow pictures with out their permission. On top of that we have a problem with certain organizations photographing rodeo events and using them for alleging cruelty to animals. This is an issue that has become rather volatile in the last month with the negative publicity from the Rowell Rodeo.

Therefore, the board of directors decided to limit the number of people who can photograph the rodeo.

I do apologise for the inconvenience.

*UPDATE*

So I emailed them explaining what happened, and this is the response I got.

quite undertsnadable honestly. Those retards who claim animal cruelty about EVERYTHING are freaking annoying. My ex and her aunt were heavy into protesting all circuses and rodeos, even the ones known to be very good to their animals simply because they HAD the animals, yet if you look at them, they each have many animals, and I mean MANY animals. There's no reaoning with those lunatics and unfortunately because of them everybody suffers.

The reason why DSLRs are banned and normal cams aren't, is because management expects great press-quality photos from the DSLR which you will sell on for money (money they miss out on because you didn't had presspass). However they think a compact cam can't take commercial-quality photos.

Now .. these days .. compacts rock when it comes to quality however the zooming is still pretty bad on those models.

Again .. management are idiots for thinking only DSLRs can take these kinds of shots

For me, and a lot of people, it's not abnormal to get refused with a DSLR .. one of the reasons why I don't have a DSLR in the first place.

The reason why DSLRs are banned and normal cams aren't, is because management expects great press-quality photos from the DSLR which you will sell on for money (money they miss out on because you didn't had presspass). However they think a compact cam can't take commercial-quality photos.

Now .. these days .. compacts rock when it comes to quality however the zooming is still pretty bad on those models.

Again .. management are idiots for thinking only DSLRs can take these kinds of shots

For me, and a lot of people, it's not abnormal to get refused with a DSLR .. one of the reasons why I don't have a DSLR in the first place.

I'm not quite sure you read my *UPDATE* post...

i was talking to one of my friends who runs a disneyland paris site and a few times members of staff have approched him and said "sorry sir but would you mind either taking the camera back too your hotel or handing it in at the main reception" he asked why and... "Its a professional camera"...

I think most of the time (except this time when they want to limit the amount) its a personal thing ? im not 100% sure why someone would have issues with a DSLR other than being jelous ?

At the last Neowindex in Seattle the people at the Space Needle were hesitant to let us go in because we all (except me, didn't have one at the time) showed up with dSLR's and big fancy lenses. The woman went so far as to ask Tim Dorr about it. We got in though.