Why Xbox Live isn't free?

However in a topic directly asking the question of Why isn't Live free? And should it be? I'm obviously going to chip in my part like everyone else, on why it isn't free, if I think it should be and why.

You know, it probably wouldn't be so bad if you would just come into a thread like this, make a few replies that gets your point across, and then stop, but as it is, you come in, and what happens is you feel the need to reply to everyone, and you end up stating the same things about 40 times like your trying to shove your opinion down others throats (don't worry, I know you aren't trying to do that). Anyone here that matters will have gotten your point the first time you made made it. If someone disagrees with you, there's no need to repeat what you've already said - that's just annoying. I mean, most of the points you've made in this thread, you've made in other threads so saying them over and over in this one isn't helping your cause and all of us that frequent this forum have heard your points many times already. That's why you get some flak.

That's why you don't see me reply to your every post here - I could, but instead I say what I want to get my point across, and then I get out and could care less whether or not you agree with me - you can keep replying but it won't get you (or anyone else) anywhere because it won't make me repeat myself.

-Spenser

Audio, I wasn't responding to you at any point. I specifically quoted one person and gave the name of the other person I was responding to (hence the "@ EnzoFX" preceding my comment). Please don't make this into a personal battle of any kind. I was responding to a specific comment made by Enzo saying that comment was a cop-out, and I explained my reasoning -- your post doesn't exactly give the entire gist of what I was saying.

Whatever, though. As with every other post, I stick by my comments. I think I've emphasized them all enough, and all we're doing now is arguing in circles. I tried to get my point across, but obviously we're not understanding each other on some level.

You know, it probably wouldn't be so bad if you would just come into a thread like this, make a few replies that gets your point across, and then stop, but as it is, you come in, and what happens is you feel the need to reply to everyone, and you end up stating the same things about 40 times like your trying to shove your opinion down others throats (don't worry, I know you aren't trying to do that). Anyone here that matters will have gotten your point the first time you made made it. If someone disagrees with you, there's no need to repeat what you've already said - that's just annoying. I mean, most of the points you've made in this thread, you've made in other threads so saying them over and over in this one isn't helping your cause and all of us that frequent this forum have heard your points many times already. That's why you get some flak.

That's why you don't see me reply to your every post here - I could, but instead I say what I want to get my point across, and then I get out and could care less whether or not you agree with me - you can keep replying but it won't get you (or anyone else) anywhere because it won't make me repeat myself.

-Spenser

Well im sorry it's nothing to do with getting across opinions in the way you put. I post a lot in topics like this because I like it when conversations kick off that are at a higher level than the usual drivel that comes out in these sections when anything big and debated get's discussed.

I've loved being part of this thread. Really enjoyable as 95% of the people have been co-operative for once, instead of fighting.

I don't mind if people disagree with me, that keeps the conversation flowing and gives me something to read/think about. A topic of this nature, is not a topic you come in, make a post, then do a runner. That is the exact opposite of what you want.

I mean, most of the points you've made in this thread, you've made in other threads so saying them over and over in this one isn't helping your cause and all of us that frequent this forum have heard your points many times already.

So I'm just supposed to be a mute because I've said something else in the past?

What about anyone else on the forum who has said things multiple times? Same apply? In other words say things once, then be quiet?

Reiterating beliefs/opinions isn't the problem, it's how people put them across on this forum that causes the havoc most of the time - Being sarcastic/disrespectful/blatantly trolling/looking for bad attention and probably the biggest, "changing the title of the topic" so you can turn an unrelated topic into something completely offtopic - Usually something negative/a complaint. Such as "Console X sells Y amount of units, is doing well", and you decide to take the topic in the direction of "I dislike A,B,C about Console X" for no reason other than because you want to.

This topic is about Live and costs, I've been ontopic since post 1.

Well whether or not you want to believe it, a reply in a debatable topic like this is usually someone wishing to enter a conversation with you. I'd be happy if you see the reply from me you realise it is only that, unlike some others who reply to rile up/cause havok or to annoy.

It's not necessarily about repeating yourself, but possibly explaining in more depth or reading whatever the person replies with as they believe you may be interested in reading. If you aren't interested in talking just say.... but it's a little harsh to sit back and say it's a flaw that deserves flak when someone replies to multiple people.

Audio, I wasn't responding to you at any point. I specifically quoted one person and gave the name of the other person I was responding to (hence the "@ EnzoFX" preceding my comment). Please don't make this into a personal battle of any kind. I was responding to a specific comment made by Enzo saying that comment was a cop-out, and I explained my reasoning -- your post doesn't exactly give the entire gist of what I was saying.

Whatever, though. As with every other post, I stick by my comments. I think I've emphasized them all enough, and all we're doing now is arguing in circles. I tried to get my point across, but obviously we're not understanding each other on some level.

It's fine, it was never personal (Y)

Ok, so if MS announced that tomorrow live would be free and paid for by heavy advertising, what would everyones comments be?

Ok, so if MS announced that tomorrow live would be free and paid for by heavy advertising, what would everyones comments be?

I'd still say it sucks and still refer to the fact most of the bandwidth is either user hosted or things such as movies which have their own purchase cost associated with it anyway shouldn't need the ads.

The only bandwidth intense service offered by live that doesn't have it's own fees off the top of my head is Demos and they are IMHO promotional material in themselves and just glorified ads distributed to sell more games.

So no, I don't agree with throwing ads everywhere, nor do I even really agree with the small number of ads there currently and I'd rather they used the screen real estate for a news ticker or something.

None of us have said we would mind if it was free. We're just telling you why it isn't or telling you that we think it's worth the price. Obviously we wouldn't mind it being free. So what's the point of your question?

I guess a lot of our comments would be "dude, this rocks!"

I guess that's assuming they advertise the same way they are now - keeping things relevant.

-Spenser

I'd be pretty annoyed tbh

None of us have said we would mind if it was free. We're just telling you why it isn't or telling you that we think it's worth the price. Obviously we wouldn't mind it being free. So what's the point of your question?

I guess a lot of our comments would be "dude, this rocks!"

I guess that's assuming they advertise the same way they are now - keeping things relevant.

-Spenser

I mean't the question as in if MS decided to move to the PSN like model. The ads I kinda had in mind we're probably more like coca cola banners on a particular screen etc, much like neowin in a way. Would you mind if they cut the fee and plastered a few big banners around?

I'd be happy to get online again, but of course like others have said I'd like to see with what you mean by "heavy advertising"?

Can you explain yourself?

As it's obvious already people are away taking their own beliefs on what you mean.

If it were excessive I'd bring up a point, as I believe MS can utilize their business accrue to make money in other ways. Nothing wrong with some advertisement but if you mean genuinely excessive with your use of "heavy" I'd have to see first hand how bad it was.

I mean't the question as in if MS decided to move to the PSN like model. The ads I kinda had in mind we're probably more like coca cola banners on a particular screen etc, much like neowin in a way. Would you mind if they cut the fee and plastered a few big banners around?

****, It seems im blind :p

Nah I wouldn't bother that much if the adverts were in the store. A place were money is to be spent.

However I would not like adverts on the gaming/settings/friends blades. Not saying I couldn't put up with them for free online, but I wouldn't like.

Put it this way, I'd rather MS make their money out of advertisers paying them, than out of me paying them (in regards to online play).

Nah I wouldn't be too bothered - I find it exceedingly easy to completely ignore advertising - I hardly notice any on most of the websites I visit, including neowin, even though I know where the ads are, and I wouldn't much have a problem if I did notice them, but was playing online for free.

-Spenser

OMG! 50 bucks a year is nothing! Quit moaning guys! Most of you probably make more in a single day!

50 != 0 :p

And it's $70-$80 in the UK... can't wait to hear them try to blame import duty and VAT for it. :laugh:

OMG! 50 bucks a year is nothing! Quit moaning guys! Most of you probably make more in a single day!

Yes it is, you could buy an extra game per year on top of the games you already buy.