Vista locking up/freezing now game crashing (see post #37)

ok spec sheet first

AMD Phenom 9500 quad core

2GB ram

Home Premium 32bit

defense apps running

A/V Avast

spy/adware SpybotSD

windows Firewall

See attachment for the total list of processes running

ok to best describe the freezing is everything stops can't move cursor, can't turn on any of the locks on the keyboard. music stops, and apps such as Utorrent stop too so i restart then everything is fine till some random moment when it freezes again.

Thanks for any help

spoolsv.exe.txt

Edited by yurithedragon

You can use Vista's inbuilt RAM diagnostic utility via the Admin tools in Control Panel (it will restart Vista to do the test) or download a bootable .ISO from Memtest.org.

Radish?

Could be the memory or the psu

Ok just done a memory test and everything is fine there so im now thining its the PSU

yeah i one of the fans sounds a bit off if it happens again ill take it to get looked at.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by yurithedragon

• 4 months later...

my vista used to hang randomly sometime back, & my problem also ouccured when uTorrent was running.

i dont think this is a PSU problem, could be a driver problem.

did you try re-installing gfx. drivers? update other drivers/windows as usual.

my vista used to hang randomly sometime back, & my problem also ouccured when uTorrent was running.

i dont think this is a PSU problem, could be a driver problem.

did you try re-installing gfx. drivers? update other drivers/windows as usual.

Yes everything is up to date....

maybe Avast or SpybotSD causing the problem.

is windows defender disabled (service)?

try disabling the AV & spybot.

some driver conflict. as i'm using KAV09, so avast might not be the problem.

btw what type is your Vista. OEM or retail?

mine's OEM, when i installed the non OEM SP1, these problems arised.

just about a month ago MS released OEM SP1 on windows update, no such problems faced yet on SP1 (updated thru Windows update)

Right, Download memtest86+ (google it) burn it onto a CD and boot from it, leave the test running for two/three hours. The Vista memory diagnostic isnt nearly thorough enough

Right, Download memtest86+ (google it) burn it onto a CD and boot from it, leave the test running for two/three hours. The Vista memory diagnostic isnt nearly thorough enough

Ok three tests done and three passes how ever tomorrow i will leave it on when i go out if you think more testing is needed...

Are you running vista x64?

I had the a similar issue when I was using only 2GB of RAM on vista 64. Sometimes when the computer was under heavy load, music I had playing would stop and windows would appear to lock up. The start menu would then lock and I'd have to hard reset. The problem occurred almost randomly and almost made me leave vista for XP.

I then added another 4GB of RAM to the PC and the problem has completely gone away. While I'm not entirely sure whether the problem was insufficient RAM, or whether it was a quirk with vista, or my RAID setup, adding the extra RAM fixed the problem, and made the PC a lot more responsive as a result :)

Are you running vista x64?

I had the a similar issue when I was using only 2GB of RAM on vista 64. Sometimes when the computer was under heavy load, music I had playing would stop and windows would appear to lock up. The start menu would then lock and I'd have to hard reset. The problem occurred almost randomly and almost made me leave vista for XP.

I then added another 4GB of RAM to the PC and the problem has completely gone away. While I'm not entirely sure whether the problem was insufficient RAM, or whether it was a quirk with vista, or my RAID setup, adding the extra RAM fixed the problem, and made the PC a lot more responsive as a result :)

im on 32bit vista but i am thinking of adding more ram and getting x64 soon...

im on 32bit vista but i am thinking of adding more ram and getting x64 soon...

I think that's a good idea, especially seeing as RAM is so cheap right now :) Whether RAM is the actual issue I'm not sure as I'm sure lots of people are running vista successfully using 2GB of RAM

Try looking at the capacitors on the motherboard. If they are bulging at the sides or top, or anything else abnormal, then you'll have to get a new motherboard (some people are able to replace them, but i would rather just get a new mobo).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Try switching out a different power supply if you have a spare.

Nope the HDD's are all A OK

What HD tests have you run?, and do you have another PSU you can test or take the PSU out to try in another computer?

You also didn't specify which motherboard you have.

Radish?

What HD tests have you run?, and do you have another PSU you can test or take the PSU out to try in another computer?

You also didn't specify which motherboard you have.

Radish?

well i assumed the HDDs are fine and i have no spare PSU and the MoBo is a "ASRock Alive NF5SLI-1394"

I suggest running Seatools for DOS on the HD's to rule out any faults. Get a bootable .ISO from Seagate's website.

Those ASRock motherboards are a bit fiddly (had my fair share of issues with them), make sure you have the latest BIOS update.

Radish?